all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Weighted pull up program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Davieboy

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi guys I just hit 10 clean pull ups today :) and was wondering if anyone could recommend the best weighted pull up program? My current max is only 10kg for 3 clean reps and don't no the best program to run I was thinking of the ladder scheme but am unsure of the rep scheme and progression. If anyone thinks this would be a good program to run and could fill me in on the details or if you think I'd benifit from a different meathod I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Three tried and true programs are the following:

Armstrong Pullup Program

Recon Ron Pullup Program

Pavel's own Fighter Pullup Program.

Google will pull them all up.

All work, at least for a while. I turned Recon Ron into a 3 day a week program with added weight and slowed the progression. It's probably more sustainable, and the lower frequency is what I needed.

I did the 3RM Fighter Pullup program with added weight. I thought there's no way I'll be able to follow the progression - but I did. Recommended.

Last edited:
There is a max strength pull up plan from Training for the New Alpinism that you'll find typed up on here somewhere... I found the continuous working with weights near to various low rep maxes very tiring and only got about 2/3 through, but not before getting a +40kg single on towels (more than half BW). If you're new to training weighted pull-ups and perhaps cut the frequency and/or limit yourself to a conservative TRM rather than true RM, you might find it very effective.

I look forward to trying the options above next time I fancy training pull-ups again. Weighting yourself to a 3RM and starting at the beginning of the FPP is a great option too.

Last edited:
The above thread provides a Pavel option of using ladders to increase strength. The illustrative example in the Milo article (available online) was a special operator who used it to increase his weighted pull-ups. I used it for weighted chin ups and provided some commentary/tools on how I implemented it in the thread.

There is a max strength pull up plan from Training for the New Alpinism that you'll find typed up on here somewhere... I found the continuous working as with weights near to various low rep maxes very tiring and only got about 2/3 through, but not before getting a +40kg single on towels (more than half BW). If you're new to training weighted pull-ups and perhaps cut the frequency and/or limit yourself to a conservative TRM rather than true RM, you might find it very effective.

I look forward to trying the options above next time I fancy training pull-ups again. Weighting yourself to a 3RM and starting at the beginning of the FPP is a great option too.
@Davieboy
I posted (several times) the Max Strength Pull-up Plan Ben H. references in his post.
In short... it works!
FPP 3RM (weighted) is also very effective.

I have run them both multiple times....

Armstrong Pullup Program

Recon Ron Pullup Program

All work, at least for a while. I turned Recon Ron into a 3 day a week program with added weight and slowed the progression. It's probably more sustainable, and the lower frequency is what I needed.

I did the 3RM Fighter Pullup program with added weight. I thought there's no way I'll be able to follow the progression - but I did. Recommended.
Th
There is a max strength pull up plan from Training for the New Alpinism that you'll find typed up on here somewhere... I found the continuous working with weights near to various low rep maxes very tiring and only got about 2/3 through, but not before getting a +40kg single on towels (more than half BW). If you're new to training weighted pull-ups and perhaps cut the frequency and/or limit yourself to a conservative TRM rather than true RM, you might find it very effective.

Thanks for the reply40 kg on a towel is impressive. ...I looked for the program you mentioned but could not find it if you have a link it would be much appreciated

@Davieboy
I posted (several times) the Max Strength Pull-up Plan Ben H. references in his post.
In short... it works!
FPP 3RM (weighted) is also very effective.

I have run them both multiple times....
Thanks for the reply mate ye iv heard good things about the fpp and am definitely baring it in mind, I have struggled to find the max pull up plan on here if you have a link it would be much appreciated thanks again.

Armstrong Pullup Program

Recon Ron Pullup Program

Thanks mate, iv heard people have good results with the 3rm fpp I'll check the others out aswell, thanks again.

The above thread provides a Pavel option of using ladders to increase strength. The illustrative example in the Milo article (available online) was a special operator who used it to increase his weighted pull-ups. I used it for weighted chin ups and provided some commentary/tools on how I implemented it in the thread.
Thanks mate I had good results doing a body weight style ladders and I don't think I was doing them right. I was doing 1 rep rest 10 sec 2 rep rest 20 sec up to 5 reps with 10 secs rest per rep between then working back down to 1 and classing that as a giant set taking a long rest of up to 10 min and repeating for 4 to 6 sets.....from what I now understand your ment to do say do 1,2,3,4 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 and once you can complete 1234 on all 4 ladders you add weight? One question do you have a extended rest between ladders or is the goal to still keep the rest short between the last set of 4 and the first set of 1 on the next ladder? Do you also keep a few reps from failure at all times? I no in most cases that's how pavel recommends training ....the only problem I can see is that trying to progress by adding a set of 4 after a heavy set of 3 seems like a big leap but I guess if you keep it honest and stay a good few from failure the fatigue shouldn't add up? Sorry for the bombardment of questions buy the way if just struggled to find much definitive info online but after improving my pullups with it in only 2 weeks and not even doing it correctly I'm intrigued to no the details. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again

Good find. I just purchased the issue of Milo to read it. That program, at first glance, looks a bit like "

A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II" but with more volume.​

I may give it a try but want to study it more. The "science based program" didn't work for my press.

Last edited:
Good find. I just purchased the issue of Milo to read it. That program, at first glance, looks a bit like "

A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II" but with more volume.​

I may give it a try but want to study it more. The "science based program" didn't work for my press.
I just bought the kindle version of Milo and its left me more confused about the program than I was to start with to be honest haha. I'm going to print it out paper later and hopefully I can make more sense of it.

I just bought the kindle version of Milo and its left me more confused about the program than I was to start with to be honest haha. I'm going to print it out paper later and hopefully I can make more sense of it.
The set and rep shorthand can be confusing if you haven't seen it before. We can answer any questions.

The set and rep shorthand can be confusing if you haven't seen it before. We can answer any questions.
Cheers mate appreciate that I printed it out and read few it a few times and am making more sense of it. I copied out Pavels 4week example program adjusting the weight to my own percentages. The only thing I'm unsure about is the rest times. Is it right that its approx 10 secs per rep on the ladders and then how long rest between each ladder so say on Mon weel1 it's ladders 1,2 x5 how long do you rest between each of the 5 ladders? Same question for the sets so weds week2 is 3x3 to start do you no the rests between those sets?

Pavel originally wrote about doing ladders of pull-ups in the Soviet military where two or more exercisers alternated doing pull-ups on the bar. One went while the other rested. It was "I go," "you go." Rests were relatively brief but could be extended if more than two exercisers were alternating on the bar. After completing a ladder, you can take a longer rest before starting the next one. As for the "Ladders Reloaded" article, your goal is to increase strength, not endurance. Therefore, I would recommend taking a proper recovery between rungs or sets, as appropriate. I would recommend shorter rests between rungs and a longer rest after completing the ladder. Yes, the article is difficult to figure out, and takes more than a single reading. The spreadsheets that I included later in the "Ladders Reloaded" thread may help. You can also program your ladders to reflect L-M-H days of the week. Good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

Last edited:
Pavel originally wrote about doing ladders of pull-ups in the Soviet military where two or more exercisers alternated doing pull-ups on the bar. One went while the other rested. It was "I go," "you go." Rests were relatively brief but could be extended if more than two exercisers were alternating on the bar. After completing a ladder, you can take a longer rest before starting the next one. As for the "Ladders Reloaded" article, your goal is to increase strength, not endurance. Therefore, I would recommend taking a proper recovery between rungs or sets, as appropriate. I would recommend shorter rests between rungs and a longer rest after completing the ladder. Yes, the article is difficult to figure out, and takes more than a single reading. The spreadsheets that I included later in the "Ladders Reloaded" thread may help. You can also program your ladders to reflect L-M-H days of the week. Good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

Ye shorter rests between rungs and longer between ladders makes sense as does shorter on light sets and longer on heavys, thanks for the tips I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks again?

Starting low volume FPP weighted is beneficial
thanks I was thinking about that and had it in my mind as something to potentially try in the future I was planning on trying the ladder method and when i plateau moving on to fpp don't no your opinion on that that? fpp looks pretty brutal as well if I'm honest adding a rep every day and weight every week haha I could imagine plateauing quickly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom