all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Weighted Pull Up Progression...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eoin Kenny

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all, first time poster here :)

I'm looking to increase my pull up strength as fast as possible to work towards the one arm pull up as a long term goal. Currently I have a 1RM of +50% of my bodyweight, I use rings for pull ups.

I was using reverse pyramid training so far but I think I would benefit from a more specific approach of say... 3x3-5 or something? I was going to scale back my weight to like +25% and start with 3x5 and try add 2.5KG whenever I can whilst keeping with the reps/sets as best I can.

Is this the optimal way to get strong at pull ups? Or do I need higher reps sometimes? I plan on training it every 2 days in comparison to every 4 like I did before.

My last question is do I need to periodise it? Or can I just stick with 3x3-5? Is it enough volume?

Sorry hope I was clear.

Not to discredit the idea of doing weighted pullups to meet the goal of a one arm pullup, but I found other methods to be effective. I always just practiced moving one arm farther down via a rope or some other handhold. Along with a few other tricks. Anyone have luck doing weighted pullups to achieve the one arm pullup?

Thanks everyone!

I was under the impression that getting strong on weighted pull ups was a great pre req for one arm pull up training? That's what Overcoming Gravity said anyway... nevertheless do you think I would be alright with a pull up program like this?

Thanks! Looking at the replies on that thread I think my plan should be fine, I'll let you all know what happens in a week when I have a good chance to work with it.

Another method is by using a counterweight system. It's definitely more complicated as you need to assemble some rigging in the form of pulleys and such and need a suitable structure to do so. (Also not really portable) But the major advantage as I see it, is that the motion and body positioning are virtually the same as the OA pull-up.

I think that maybe it's a bit like the OAPU... Doing two arm push-ups; even with a vest doesn't really prepare you. You need to do one arm regressions (IMO)

You can also decrease the counterweight in very small increments. (If you are into that sort of thing)

I am also just interested in getting strong at weighted pull ups honestly. The theory is that once your 1RM = 80% of your bodyweight you can do a one arm chin up without much work.

Welcome to the forum Eion.

I find that for some reason these are two distinctly different exercises. I've been through stages where I've owned the OAPU with each arm and not been able to pull twice my bodyweight with two arms and also had times where I've been pulling more than twice my bodyweight with two hands and have not been able to do an OAPU.

There is definitely some carry over but the results in one doesn't directly translate to the other as the numbers would indicate. The best guess I could make would be that they are two different neural grooves, so to speak.

If you're doing 1.5 * your bodyweight you could start on some progressions towards the OAPU but I'd try to get to maybe 1.6 -1.7 * your bodywieght to give your tendons and ligaments a bit more conditioning first. That's not a rule set in concrete mind you, if you start with the right progression for yourself at the moment you could definitely begin working the single arm lifts.

Your elbows are going to be a telling factor in determining the correct volume for you, I'd almost guarantee that everyone develops tendonitis to some extent on the path to the OAPU or when doing heavy loaded pullups. Some people can get there with a fixed program but others need some sort of periodisation to help manage the overtraining and tendonitis.

Pelusa could have a few tips for you. The last I saw he was doing weighted OAPU's.

Thanks Tarzan. I think you're correct, I'll probably work on one arm progressions once I get to around 1.6-1.7 bodyweight chin ups. I started off today easy with 20KG for 3x5, it's different to before when I was using RPT. I think 3x5 is good though, once you get it the first set becomes so easy that adding 2.5KG doesn't affect reps until the 2nd or 3rd set.

As an aside... is 3x5 every 2 days enough volume? I also do some front lever work (3 isometric sets) but I was considering dropping it for rows 3x5-8 just to try and keep my shoulders healthy, but I wonder if I'm being overly cautious? Do front lever isometrics help keep shoulders balanced similar to the way rows do?

I asked a similar question a while back and got some good replies

Weighted Pull Ups

Did you end up hitting your target?? Just remembered this thread.

also had times where I've been pulling more than twice my bodyweight with two hands and have not been able to do an OAPU.

My hat is off to you. The double BW Pull-up is still very evasive for me. Very jealous hehe/

Pelusa could have a few tips for you. The last I saw he was doing weighted OAPU's.

I got up to 25 lbs per side on OACUs. I don't really see the point in continuing or even maintaining it though. It was a cool goal, but I'm back to my OACU, and I just do a few reps here and there to maintain. I am a bit more focused on the Front Lever and my life-long dream of the Planche hehe.

Thanks Tarzan. I think you're correct, I'll probably work on one arm progressions once I get to around 1.6-1.7 bodyweight chin ups. I started off today easy with 20KG for 3x5, it's different to before when I was using RPT. I think 3x5 is good though, once you get it the first set becomes so easy that adding 2.5KG doesn't affect reps until the 2nd or 3rd set.

As an aside... is 3x5 every 2 days enough volume? I also do some front lever work (3 isometric sets) but I was considering dropping it for rows 3x5-8 just to try and keep my shoulders healthy, but I wonder if I'm being overly cautious? Do front lever isometrics help keep shoulders balanced similar to the way rows do?

You could also try something like the 3RM Fighter Pull-up programme...

Okay, so after one session I added one rep to my third set. I'm doing 20KG for 3x5 now pretty easily. Should I keep adding reps till I get 6-8 for three sets or should I add 2.5KG and try to keep 3x5 next time?

I know both progression models should work, but which one is better for beginners like me?

@Eoin Kenny, if you're training for strength, you don't need to do more than five reps at a time. I think anything over a triple is cardio :) but fives are nice to build both strength and muscle. Fives are also nice for people my age and older because they help us maintain muscle. For you, instead of adding reps, add sets - volume is one of the key determinants of strength training success, so work up to five sets of five if you can and then add weight.

-S-

Thanks for the reply and info! Wow 5x5 really? I also do rows for 3x5 so would that make up enough volume? I would rather keep my workouts shorter (they're already pretty long) but if it's really necessary for me to do 5 sets I will!

My workouts are like this...
Handstand push ups (and regressions) 3x5-8
Weighted pull ups 3x5
One arm push up progressions 3x5-8
Bodyweight Rows 3x5-8
Pistol Squats 3x6
Mobility

Is there enough pulling volume with the rows that I don't need more sets on the weighted pull ups? Or should I really do 5 sets? Thanks again!

Yeah I agree with Steve, get your heavy work done in the 2-3 rep range and build volume in another way.

Warmup or cooldown sets done for more than 5 reps are OK but it has to be managed so you don't detract from the heavy work where the real gains will come. Sets of 2 don't work for me with pullups, I just don't don't progress on 2 reps like I do with 3. I'm sure tendon insertion length plays a role in this aspect, some respond better to 2 reps, others do better on 3 or 4, you just have to find your sweet spot where the gains come (a training journal will help tremendously)

Warmup & cooldown sets of higher reps with a lighter weight can still be figured into your training, they can be a convenient way to condense your workout and get a bit of tendon & ligament conditioning without having to hang out under the bar for hours on end. You also get a bit of the GTG effect from the practice. They won't help with your maximal strength but they can can help you earn your stripes so to speak.

@Tarzan, fwiw, I prefer singles for weighted pull-up work - the first rep feels so different, anyway, that I feel like singles gives me the best preparation for a 1RM attempt.

@Eoin Kenny, you can take any longer set and just do two shorter sets with the rest period of your choice in between. Getting your volume through more sets rather than more reps is a strength-focused way to think about it.

-S-

Thanks guys! No worries Tarzan I have kept a training journal since I started and haven't missed a single entry.

Steve that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

For now I'll stick to sets of 5 and see how I progress, since it's too early to tell accurately. I think at this stage of my training it could be a mistake to only focus on strength and lose some possible muscle growth which could help me out down the road? I'll give an update in a week or so I guess!

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom