all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Weighted pull up result post FPP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyle Kowalczuk

Level 5 Valued Member

So a post here about results of a recently completed weighted fighter pull program that got be a lifetime PR in the 1rm weighted pull up and max reps with 10kg.

In preparing for my next tsc in the elite division I needed to get my weighted pull up max reps higher(10kg). After calculation combined with trial and error I found that a scheme of 12-10-8-6-4 would work. It gave me the best ratio of volume and tension without getting a whole lot of metobolic stress. After about 3 weeks following the progression of the FPP I finished with 12-12-12-12-12. The length of the practice sessions got longer and longer because of the rest that I needed. The last session took me about an hour as I was resting about 5-8 min to make each set. Following this I did a 3 day micro phase using a 5-4-3-2-1 scheme with 32kg.

I rested 2 full days then retested and found my 1rm went from 120# to 138#. My max reps with 10kg went from 15 to 22.

A few considerations if you are comparing:
1. I was able to do 30 strict pull ups before starting this.

2. The only other exercises I was combining this with was bench press, deadlifts, and kb swings which I did on other days.

3. My bodyweight is roughly 170#.

Please let me know if the video isn’t working as I have had issues embedding them in the past. Some advice on that would be appreciated lol.

Strong work, @Kyle Kowalczuk

I'm curious if you (or others) have seen this is commonly a good way of increasing your max reps - increasing overall volume of work with plenty of rest time between sets, without increasing the max reps per set. Obviously, it worked for you this time.

I happen to be training pull ups that way right now, and was wondering if in the end my max rep would suffer or benefit.

I'm curious if you (or others) have seen this is commonly a good way of increasing your max reps - increasing overall volume of work with plenty of rest time between sets, without increasing the max reps per set. Obviously, it worked for you this time.

I happen to be training pull ups that way right now, and was wondering if in the end my max rep would suffer or benefit.

@WhatWouldHulkDo
Thank you
I have seen it work that way for some. Getting in a lot of volume without getting to high in the number of reps in a set. Pretty much a grease the groove type approach. Those people I’m refering to have less than 20 pull ups max however. So a set of 5 is already at like 25% plus effort. Myself, I tried it that way and found it to just be a maintaince type approach without risking things like tendinitis. Because my max set is rather high, I need a little bit longer set to get done metoboloc stress to make progress.

What is your max set? Are you weighting the reps? What is the total volume?

PR for max reps is 11, right now for "heavy" week planning 5x5. Just bodyweight, resting 2-3 minutes between sets. I'm definitely in that class of folks where just 5 reps is a good % of max effort.

Yeah that looks good. I think it will work for you. An increase in strength will really help your max rep number go up as you will be spending less energy per rep from your gas tank. Once you get to a point where you can do around 15-20 I would recommend switching to the descending rep scheme progression like the FPP suggests.

Wow I have not seen this before. Any guidance on how much weight should be used?
Yes, and that's the 'catch'...
The weight used must be pretty darn close to your rep max. So for sets calling for 1 rep, you must use a weight that you can only do once. Sets of 2, and 3... weight you can only do 2 or 3 times.

You should also ensure that you are adequately warmed up...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom