all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Weighted pull-up saftey

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do you think that the dip belt weighted pull-up is safe for your spine?
Yes. Usually, the spine can handle the vertical force (think front squat) better than the horizontal force (think hip thrust). In weighted- pull up the gravity force pulls nearly vertical with the spine so I think it's safe. Also, the load is usually small (the heaviest pull up on the forum, based on the survey a few weeks ago is 80 kg; and many people squat like 150 kg above in the forum)

With the belt positioned on your hips, it should help to pull your spine down a bit and might actually relieve pressure and tension in your back.

It could probably aggravate some conditions (hanging from a bar to 'decompress' absolutely can - see Zatsiorsky for details), but unless you have issues already I don't think it's likely to cause them.

I’m not a medical professional, but I see no reason it would be a problem.
I have been doing weighted pull-ups off and on for decades without issue. That being said I typically use a climbing harness to sling the weight from.

Only side effect is... getting stronger...

I've found that while decompressing the spine by hanging does help, having a weight at the bottom of your spine as you hang helps even more. Using a dip belt is the classic way to perform weighted pullups and, as the name suggested, dips, too.

The usual cautions apply - make sure you're clear to exercise without restrictions, have a movement screen, and add weight gradually to allow your body time to adapt.

-S-

I've found that while decompressing the spine by hanging does help, having a weight at the bottom of your spine as you hang helps even more. Using a dip belt is the classic way to perform weighted pullups and, as the name suggested, dips, too.

The usual cautions apply - make sure you're clear to exercise without restrictions, have a movement screen, and add weight gradually to allow your body time to adapt.

-S-
Never thought of that added value. I used a backpack whenever I did weighted pullups in the past.

For the bone and disk structures it's generally quite safe and it can even be therapeutic in some cases . The soft tissue needs a bit of time to adapt though. Someone with a lot of upper body strength could stretch some of those tissues in ways they aren't accustomed to if they rush into lifting heavier weights. It's caused a few issues for me after a long break from training when I jump in and lift more than I'm ready to.

Like any other lift, if you set yourself properly for the lift and build the appropriate tension before you hit the go button, you should be OK.

The core muscles should be pretty heavily engaged during pullups. I'd think that would carry the load and take stress off the spine?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom