all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Weighted Pull Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cattleballs

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi,
My pullup goal is to achieve a rep with 1/2 bodyweight attached by the end of the year.
So far linear progression has got me to a 32kg pull up - the target is 37.5kg.
I am wondering if anyone has had success with a 3 day a week pull up program. I see the fighter pull up program suggested around here but thought that might be a bit intense and affect my other goals (press and pistol)
thanks

Here's an idea. Take your 1 RM (that's 32kg+75kg BW = 107 kg). Multiply by around 0.8 (which is about a 7-8RM), so 107*0.8 = 86 kg. Take your BW off (86-75 = 11kg). So a Pullup with about 10 kg added is about your 7-8RM.

Day 1: 3x5 @10kg
Day 2: 2x6, 1x5 @10kg
Day 3: 3x6 @10kg
etc
Keep adding reps slowly to your 3 sets. At some point (might take 2-3 weeks), form will start to deteriorate as you push reps higher to 3x7 or 3x8. At that point, add 2.5 kg, and re-start at 3x5. Again, adding reps.

A bit more of math shows us roughly what you need to pull as an 8 RM to get to your goal. 75*1.5 = 112.5
Now 112.5*0.8 = 90. And subtract BW, 90-75 = 15 kgs. So if you build up to a 3x7 @ 15 kgs, you'll probably manage a Pullup with half BW added. It might just take you 6-8 weeks honestly. You're pretty much there.

Weighted Pull-ups don't have to be too complicated. I think you'll get some advice with more variability (light days and heavy days... varying the load from week to week..., etc), but you're pretty close to your goal so I'd keep it simple, and just add reps until it's a bit too hard, then cut the reps, and add a bit more weight. Rinse and repeat.

This kind of training fits very well in my schedule, unlike other more frequent training models (GTG, Fighter). It works just as well though. It's brought my Pull-up from 45 kgs added to 53 kgs added in about 6 weeks, at a Bodyweight of 64 kgs. Trying to get that Pull-up with full BW added (which is much harder than a OAPU, interestingly). So it certainly works for those a bit more advanced too. Should be no problem building up to half BW added.

Good luck! Just an idea!

This is talked about a lot on SF: site:strongfirst.com weighted pullups - Google Search

I particularly like this linked article (because of the cute cats!): Affecting Gravity: A programming example (and a few tips on pullups)

I have the same goal. I'm working at it from both ends; lose body weight, increase weighted pull-up weight. I think I'll need to get to about 34 Kg. At about 25 now. I believe Pavel mentioned holds at the top with weight, I'm doing that. I'm at 40 seconds with 8 Kg (just starting). Blasts my lats.

@305pelusa really appreciate the time you took to draft out that plan! I've been doing 5 sets of 3 for a couple of months and have hit a wall so some higher rep work is probably the perfect answer, I will implement it right away. Good luck with your goal, pull up + bodyweight would be awesome

@Mike E thanks for the links, the second one seems to have application to numerous lifts. Good luck hitting your goal too

Here are a couple of variations to try. The first, band resisted pull ups, has done wonders for my pull ups. It promotes explosiveness in the movement much like adding bands to KB swings. Play around with different bands and anchor weights. I pick a band that has almost no tension at the bottom, with the anchor weight just breaking off the floor at the top.

Next is 1.5 pull ups. If your pull up sticking point is roughly when your head reaches bar level, this exercise should address that nicely.

I do a pyramid style workout for weighted pullups.

As the weight goes up the reps go down until I get to about 60kg added weight and then I work back down in weight and up in reps.

The 60 kgs is about 90% of my 1rm and I only hit 2 reps for that set. Sometimes I start at 16 kg added weight for 6 reps and progress up to the 90% 1rm in 5 sets and then work my way back down. Other times I start 28 kg and do 4 reps and only do 3 sets up to the 90% set and 3 sets back down.

I superset them with sub maximal HSPU's and/or kettlebell MP's

I also throw in a few bar muscle ups before and after the weighted work and for some reason I can do more muscle ups at the end of the workout. For some reason my explosive power increases after a series of grinds.

Lots of good advice here; I will add one thing I haven't seen mentioned - pull-up height.

Use a weight that Adam's Apple over the bar. I like to try to touch my clavicle. Do this, pause for a second or two there so that you know you own it, then lower.

Same concept of sub-maximal load and increased range of motion as deficit DL.

NB: If you haven't pulled up this high before, be prepared for a rude awakening, and also be prepared to adjust your grip width as necessary. And a hint - a slightly false grip will help.

-S-

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom