all posts post new thread

Old Forum Weighted pulls and chins - what % of bodyweight makes you Strong

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It seems we are somewhat off the original topic however it has become very interesting with you guys adding lots of interesting things to consider.  Keep on going :)

On the original line is it safe to agree that strong in chin or pull ups starts at body weight +50% and up in additional weight?  I like the simplistic nature of comparing my progress this way.  I will leave the big fella little fella debate to those that want it.  For me I like the idea of pulling myself and the equivalent of another 1/2 of me chin above the bar.  I don't care if it is harder due to my size or not as its about having the strength to do it - or not - no debate.

Thanks for all the comments.  Back to training.

It is less impressive for a 150 lb man to do a pull-up with an additional 75 lbs than for a 300 lb man to do a pull-up with an additional 150 lbs.

I think you need to qualify... less impressive for you or is this an absolute.  I for example am not sure I agree.

You will find a lot more small athletes who can do a 1.5 BW pull-up than larger athletes who can do a 1.5 BW pull-up.  I say impressive based on how easy or difficult it is to achieve.  It is quite a bit easier for a smaller man to achieve a 1.5 BW pull-up than it is for a larger man.

A larger athlete will always find it more difficult to match a pound-for-pound ratio, so +50% (or 75 or 100) is more impressive for a 250lb man than a fellow weighing 200, 150, or whatnot. That said, of course, a bigger man will find it easier to put up a bigger total weight in a weighted chin... so (imo) we should keep standards for both total weight and a percentage in mind when it comes to comparing athletes with different body weights.

The Wilks formula and the Sinclair formula were designed to enable comparisons among lifters of different weight classes in powerlifting and weightlifting, respectively.  I wonder if anyone has done a similar formula for pullups.

I kind of like the TSC approach to this problem -- DL favors the heavy lifter and max pullup reps favors the light lifter, so you supposedly have a level playing field and no weight classes are really needed.

zatsiorsky covers this thoroughly (non linear relationship between bw and strength). simplified a little, you've got a squared term and a cubed term. think limit as x->big number of  x^2/x^3 ...   (the top is strenght, bottom is body mass)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom