all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Weightlifting BELT for heavy swings? (50kg+)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Opiaswing

Level 5 Valued Member
I hurt my back a long time ago as a teen and still deal with occasional setback so in my training due to twinges.

I love the heavy swing, but find when I get into the 40-60kg range I’m more prone to back spasms.

I have drastically altered my training recently, sticking predominantly with yoga, callisthenics and just swings for my weight training. This will continue. I am not risking my spine.

I am wondering your stances of using weightlifting belts for heavier end swings?

First off, I've never tried it.

Second of all, the real purpose of a weightlifting belt is to provide kinesthetic feedback during a Valsalva maneuver, such as used during squats.

Third, kettlebell sport people use them during long cycle.

At first glance, the second and third points are hard to reconcile, as I have no idea when kettlebell sport people use intense static abdominal bracing....maybe during the rest position in the rack?

I'm skeptical that a weightlifting belt would be useful during swings because of the high hip flexion and breathing patterns.

Full disclosure: I don't swing heavier than 40 kg. If I want to work my posterior chain heavy, I use a barbell (cleans, deadlifts, squats) or do farmer's carries, where I can micro-load the dosage.

Last edited:
I think GS-ers wear the belt to help build a "shelf" for the rack position so it's as close to resting as they can be. The rack posture for GS (slumped over looking) is very different from hardstyle rack (ramrod straight standing posture).

I wouldn't use a belt for heavy swings and I don't know of any recommendation to.

Maybe an Olympic Lifting belt, if it makes you feel safe, but definitely not a Powerlifting belt.

I'd be interested to know what changes in your swing when you go above a certain weight. If you can swing a lighter bell without problems, there must be some change in your positioning somewhere during the movement once the weight gets heavier that needs to be addressed. Back extensions (performed strictly and slowly) and ab work would be a decent place to start.

I don't think anyone here would advocate using a belt to train around an injury, whether past or present.

I'd be interested to know what changes in your swing when you go above a certain weight.

I find there is a big change once I start swinging bells >~30-40% of my bodyweight.

Power production drops, the swings become more grind-like with less snap because I'm having to use more strength just to keep balanced and tight and to keep the physics from taking over.

I hurt my back a long time ago as a teen and still deal with occasional setback so in my training due to twinges.

I love the heavy swing, but find when I get into the 40-60kg range I’m more prone to back spasms.

I have drastically altered my training recently, sticking predominantly with yoga, callisthenics and just swings for my weight training. This will continue. I am not risking my spine.

I am wondering your stances of using weightlifting belts for heavier end swings?

What are you currently doing in regards to your lower back?

I advise immediately implementing dead hangs, hanging knee raises and hanging leg raises to decompress the lower back and rotate the sacrum.

In addition, laying on your back with you knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Keeping your knees together and your feet together touch the outside of your right leg against the floor. Do that either side for 5 sets of 10 reps per side.

Do this after running, strength training and numerous times a day. Make it part of a lifestyle change.

If your gym has provisions for back raises, reverse hypers and GHRs to be performed then utilise them. They are a great way of increase strength and size to the posterior Chain while decompressing the lower back.

Last edited:
This may or may not help depending on the problem.

Have you tried a period of NOT using the 40+ bells? I may sound like a stuck record but all the Instagram clips I've seen you with heavier bells look a grind/muscle it up compared to the smoother hip dominant, snappier swings you see of the highly experienced SFGs on here.

I say this from experience as I have not touched my 48+ bells in a long time and getting do much more out of my 24-32 bells

If you have a back problem go ask a professional to assess it in person. Might be more difficult in the post-Covid society but it's way better than sight-unseen advice on the Internet.

On backs and Yoga... There's no guarantee that this will help, Prof McGill has written about how this can actually exacerbate the situation.

Stop doing things that hurt.
Don't try to mask a problem with a belt (it's going to mess with your swing anyway).
Get professional hands on advice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom