all posts post new thread

Barbell Weightlifting (of the Oly Variety) Thread

And remember, Bogota is nearly at 9,000 feet altitude, so that doesn't help flatlanders at all.

I was wondering how the altitude affects anaerobic athletes but the article below (Ursula, coincidentally) explains it very well.

If I'm understanding it correctly, a lot of what it boils down to is "A + A" -- alactic/anaerobic effort requires aerobic recovery!

I was wondering how the altitude affects anaerobic athletes but the article below (Ursula, coincidentally) explains it very well.

If I'm understanding it correctly, a lot of what it boils down to is "A + A" -- alactic/anaerobic effort requires aerobic recovery!

There is a YouTube video of the Chinese team huffing from what looks to be cans of whip cream and people are joking about whippets.

But apparently it's oxygen in a pressurized can.

There is a YouTube video of the Chinese team huffing from what looks to be cans of whip cream and people are joking about whippets.

But apparently it's oxygen in a pressurized can.

Which may help with immediate recovery.

I imagine it's also just another adaptation demand on the body. Stress all goes in the same bucket, no matter the source.

it effects everyone not adapted (including tourists) it’s insufficient hematocrit. “Adaptation=Time/Altitude where High altitude adaptation factor=Time at altitude (days)/Altitude in kilometers (km). A complete and optimal hematocrit adaptation is only achieved at around 40 days for a subject going from sea level to 3510 m in La Paz. The time in days required to achieve full adaptation to any altitude, ascending from sea level, can be calculated by multiplying the adaptation factor of 11.4 times the altitude in km. Descending from high altitude in La Paz to sea level in Copenhagen, the hematocrit response is a linear fall over 18 to 23 days.” Altitude adaptation through hematocrit changes - PubMed

I know we have several folks that are weightlifters (like @watchnerd and @Anna C ) or at least enthusiasts (like me). I know we have several odds and ends threads on weightlifting, and I kind of just wanted a thread of talking about it in general, PRs/comp results, news, recent cool lifts, sharing and caring etc. Maybe the thread won't take.

Anyways, I wanted to share a recent video of one of my favorite weightlifters currently, Loradena Toma. It includes her general warmup, then working up to a comp snatch of 114kg (251lbs) @ 11:31 and comp C&J of 135kg (297lb) @ 18:35, all at 67kg (147lbs).

solid technician. pull mechanics are excellent. very patient on first pull / lift off. (most US lifters these days are not patient enough, and start using their backs way too soon/below knee) However, really odd footwork on jerk split…reminiscent of the “camel hop” split (very distinct separate pop back foot down then pop front foot down) the egyptian team advocated using back in the 60s-70s.

Credit to these guys for still setting records. However, there are problems that you don't know about. The boss of our federation doesn't want to leave, even though all the contestants want him kicked out. He had not paid salaries to the contestants for several months. An attempt was made to have him replaced under the statutory procedure, but he is constantly litigating and does not want to leave. Due to such things many years ago, many athletes left the country and started competing and winning medals for other countries, even though they were built as weightlifters from childhood and were built as champions by our coaches. But they are still professionals and if they are not paid decently, it is normal for them to leave. Naim Suleymanoglu also left as a built competitor and champion, but for other reasons related to the repression of the communist regime. And he started winning his medals for the Republic of Turkey. But no one was angry with him and until the end of his life he respected his coaches from Bulgaria. May God forgive his soul. He was truly a supreme competitor.

The athletes are government employees, right?

But the federation head can prevent the government from paying them, even if they're competing?

That seems very odd. And I don't understand why he would want to de-moralize his athletes.

solid technician. pull mechanics are excellent. very patient on first pull / lift off. (most US lifters these days are not patient enough, and start using their backs way too soon/below knee) However, really odd footwork on jerk split…reminiscent of the “camel hop” split (very distinct separate pop back foot down then pop front foot down) the egyptian team advocated using back in the 60s-70s.
Interesting, do you think the shuffle is purposeful? I had assumed it was inadvertent, but she was so good that taking the time to fix it would be less efficient.

Shi Zhiyong (81 kg) and Tian Tao (89 kg) weighed in and then withdrew.

So they get to check the "participation" box for Paris for qualifying events.

Interesting, do you think the shuffle is purposeful? I had assumed it was inadvertent, but she was so good that taking the time to fix it would be less efficient.
i think it is just what she ended up with. Most splitters throw that back foot first since it has to travel twice as far on average as the front foot does. So maybe early on in her career she over corrected for getting front foot down too soon. As long as the split is balanced it doesn't really matter all that much. if she wasn’t making jerks dependably that would be one thing, but as it is, what is there to fix? The fundamentals are all there and elites quite often have style quirks that are essentially neutral to performance but not “textbook.”

C&J was great too! Very exciting!

And tomorrow I get to cheer for Mattie Rogers in W76A :)

The athletes are government employees, right?

But the federation head can prevent the government from paying them, even if they're competing?

That seems very odd. And I don't understand why he would want to de-moralize his athletes.
Well, theoretically they could have paid, but they didn't. The government has given money to the federation, but this scum has been making a mess and has been delaying payments. He finally paid, but he keeps causing problems.

This was an incredible two lifts. Following a miss so quickly, the level of confidence and strength.

Although I think my favorite part is where he hops on his dads back and is carried off.

An athlete from the gym I am based out of here in Boulder, CO is lifting for Israel in the W76A today, Celia Gold. (She should have had a bit easier time adjusting to Bogota’s altitude.) She’s angling for a spot on the Israeli Olympic squad.
She did well!

And tomorrow I get to cheer for Mattie Rogers in W76A :)
And Mattie gets 3 Sliver medals... Snatch: 109KG, C&J: 138KG, Total: 247KG. From her coach, Aimee, "WORLD SILVER MEDALIST
For the 3rd year in a row. AND the only female American in HISTORY to medal at 5 consecutive World Championships."

There were some awesome snatches in that session. But it wasn't as exciting as last night's session.

Tomorrow, on my birthday, I get to watch all the W81 and W87 women... the weight classes I've competed in. And I'll be in awe of what they're lifting, because in my age group (Masters W55) the totals are WAY lower, even at Masters Worlds, which theoretically would attract some of the highest totals. It's really interesting to see how the Snatch and C&J weights stratify out through gender, weight class, and age. It makes you realize how the game really does change with these basis parameters. And yet, we all experience similar training efforts and cycles, improvement potential relative to our category, challenges, and meet experiences within the sport.

And I'll be in awe of what they're lifting, because in my age group (Masters W55) the totals are WAY lower, even at Masters Worlds, which theoretically would attract some of the highest totals. It's really interesting to see how the Snatch and C&J weights stratify out through gender, weight class, and age. It makes you realize how the game really does change with these basis parameters. And yet, we all experience similar training efforts and cycles, improvement potential relative to our category, challenges, and meet experiences within the sport.

My totals are about on par with elite women who are less than half my age and less than half my body weight.

Back
Top Bottom