all posts post new thread

Barbell Weightlifting (of the Oly Variety) Thread

I thought this was fascinating.

(okay, maybe I'm just a geek)

It was interesting to see how a bodybuilder (albeit, an athletic one who isn't overly huge) picks up some of Zack's coaching cues and re-interprets them in "bodybuilder speak" / mind muscle connection.

He learns pretty quickly.

Lu has been popped, for EPO all things.

Apparently the tested was administered in China.

People are speculating that he may have been a sacrificial lamb (late in career) after China showed up with looking too bodybuilder-shredded at World's.

Lu has been popped, for EPO all things.

Apparently the tested was administered in China.

People are speculating that he may have been a sacrificial lamb (late in career) after China showed up with looking too bodybuilder-shredded at World's.

IMO, no way he gets popped if they didn't want him to.

I'm guessing, something like this, except state run, and no expense spared.

Last edited:
IMO, no way he gets popped if they didn't want him to.

I'm guessing, something like this, except state run, and no expense spared.

Yeah, I don't see how the ITA could manage to sneak into Covid-lockdown China and get access to Lu completely undetected an unaware.

*And* to have managed to pop him in the 3 day window for EPO.

*And* not have any of the rest of the team get popped for anything.

Enough to get him popped without the Roid words tossed in.
Guessing they wrote it in or had him take some a day out.

The theories I've heard:

1. He thought he was going to compete in Bogota so he did EPO in prep for the high altitude

2. The Chinese weightlifting team puts a lot of emphasis on muscle tissue vascular issues as part of the recovery process, and that's why they do so much bodybuilding -- and EPO fits in with that.

I'd never heard #2 as a reason for the Chinese weightlifting team to do as much bodybuilding as they do before, though.

It is shocking that he was nicked in China. I have about zero personal experience w. (illegal) PEDs, but strength athletes finding EPO to be beneficial is not surprising to me. No more surprising than an endurance athlete taking steroids.

I don't know much about the nuances of PEDs in weightlifting at the elite level (I've only run across anecdotes of ham-fisted local dudes), but Seb goes into the "why EPO is puzzling" bit in here:

I don't know much about the nuances of PEDs in weightlifting at the elite level (I've only run across anecdotes of ham-fisted local dudes), but Seb goes into the "why EPO is puzzling" bit in here:
As a general rule, I avoid "reaction videos" so I'm commenting w/o watching but Lu (or any athlete) might use EPO as an adjunct to "conditioning" work to aid recovery, and in the age of Covid maybe even to help get over/through some complications from respiratory issues.

I enjoyed this video about the Italy team. Watching Giulia is fun. One of the things the narrator said was that she must know everything she does, every lift, every chalk up, is caught on camera .... oy! That would stress me out. Watching what these women put up is incredible - 49kg / 108lbs bodyweight and putting up almost twice that over head.

Just saw Higa Sei (Japan, 17 years old) doing cnj and snatch in Tabi shoes (flat heel shoes with toes point out - it's traditional Japanese footwear I believe)

Just saw Higa Sei (Japan, 17 years old) doing cnj and snatch in Tabi shoes (flat heel shoes with toes point out - it's traditional Japanese footwear I believe)
I've known OLers who did the lifts barefoot. In the 70s, there were at least a few OLers that competed that way - I don't know if the rules allow that today. I'm not really a believer that this is in their best interest, but if they can make it work then I guess they can make it work.

Oh man... I wanted tabi shoes so much as a kid when I first started seeing Stephen K Haye's Ninjitsu ads in magazines.

Back
Top Bottom