all posts post new thread

Barbell Weightlifting (of the Oly Variety) Thread

John K

Level 8 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I know we have several folks that are weightlifters (like @watchnerd and @Anna C ) or at least enthusiasts (like me). I know we have several odds and ends threads on weightlifting, and I kind of just wanted a thread of talking about it in general, PRs/comp results, news, recent cool lifts, sharing and caring etc. Maybe the thread won't take.

Anyways, I wanted to share a recent video of one of my favorite weightlifters currently, Loradena Toma. It includes her general warmup, then working up to a comp snatch of 114kg (251lbs) @ 11:31 and comp C&J of 135kg (297lb) @ 18:35, all at 67kg (147lbs).

TFW Ryan Sester (102, same weight class as me) snatches my C&J PR for warm ups....

ROFL

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we have several folks that are weightlifters (like @watchnerd and @Anna C ) or at least enthusiasts (like me). I know we have several odds and ends threads on weightlifting, and I kind of just wanted a thread of talking about it in general, PRs/comp results, news, recent cool lifts, sharing and caring etc. Maybe the thread won't take.

Anyways, I wanted to share a recent video of one of my favorite weightlifters currently, Loradena Toma. It includes her general warmup, then working up to a comp snatch of 114kg (251lbs) @ 11:31 and comp C&J of 135kg (297lb) @ 18:35, all at 67kg (147lbs).

I just noticed the plate in the thumbnail is loaded backwards!

So how do we think Karlos Nasar is going to do?

Seb at WH just said on one of the training hall vids that he doesn't think Karlos will win the gold.

But will break some world records.

Seb at WH just said on one of the training hall vids that he doesn't think Karlos will win the gold.

I only know a few lifters, I don't know the field. Is his group that stacked that I could break world records and still lose? That's crazy.

I only know a few lifters, I don't know the field. Is his group that stacked that I could break world records and still lose? That's crazy.
It is possible, if you are very good in one movement, to break a record there as well, but the total sum of the two movements will not reach you to take the gold. Or simply that others also break records, but with more.

I took it as a misfortune that I guessed that he could set a world record without getting a medal. However, one must take into account the fact that his personal trainer died about ten days before the competition. Carlos personally saw him lying on the ground mowed down by a heart attack. And this, in any case, affected his psyche. But I hope he is healthy, because he is young and has many more peaks to conquer.

I took it as a misfortune that I guessed that he could set a world record without getting a medal. However, one must take into account the fact that his personal trainer died about ten days before the competition. Carlos personally saw him lying on the ground mowed down by a heart attack. And this, in any case, affected his psyche. But I hope he is healthy, because he is young and has many more peaks to conquer.

Well I guess that prediction was correct. That was a fun session to watch! Many surprises.

I am so excited about tonight's Women 71kg A! Sarah Davies, Olivia Reeves, Loredana Toma, Kate Nye/Vibert, and more.

Interesting opinion in IG stories from Greg Everett on why so many athletes bombing out. I don't know if I agree or disagree, but it makes sense.

1670851449153.png

Credit to these guys for still setting records. However, there are problems that you don't know about. The boss of our federation doesn't want to leave, even though all the contestants want him kicked out. He had not paid salaries to the contestants for several months. An attempt was made to have him replaced under the statutory procedure, but he is constantly litigating and does not want to leave. Due to such things many years ago, many athletes left the country and started competing and winning medals for other countries, even though they were built as weightlifters from childhood and were built as champions by our coaches. But they are still professionals and if they are not paid decently, it is normal for them to leave. Naim Suleymanoglu also left as a built competitor and champion, but for other reasons related to the repression of the communist regime. And he started winning his medals for the Republic of Turkey. But no one was angry with him and until the end of his life he respected his coaches from Bulgaria. May God forgive his soul. He was truly a supreme competitor.

Well I guess that prediction was correct. That was a fun session to watch! Many surprises.

I am so excited about tonight's Women 71kg A! Sarah Davies, Olivia Reeves, Loredana Toma, Kate Nye/Vibert, and more.

Interesting opinion in IG stories from Greg Everett on why so many athletes bombing out. I don't know if I agree or disagree, but it makes sense.

View attachment 19989
Greg and Ursula definitely have their views.

That 71kg class is STACKED. Gonna be fun.

Greg and Ursula definitely have their views.

That 71kg class is STACKED. Gonna be fun.

View attachment 19989
Yep the 20kg rule will bite you if you inflate your entry total to lift in a session you don't belong in. And remember, Bogota is nearly at 9,000 feet altitude, so that doesn't help flatlanders at all. The Robi Points system lets athletes and coaches see how their results stack up across weight classes when they are deciding to move up or down for the 5 Olympic categories. Everyone is in the same boat as far as that goes. At this point, given the IWF's gangsterism vis a vis doping control and pay to play and its ongoing antagonizing of the IOC, we are lucky to even be included in Paris. As it stands now weightlifting won't be on the program for LA - 2028.

View attachment 19989

I know the weight class consolidation is causing an issue with the men's heavies being compressed into just <102 and >102+.

I don't know if I'll compete in May or not at this rate -- I've managed to cut the weight, but my lifts are still rebuilding.

Yep the 20kg rule will bite you if you inflate your entry total to lift in a session you don't belong in. And remember, Bogota is nearly at 9,000 feet altitude, so that doesn't help flatlanders at all. The Robi Points system lets athletes and coaches see how their results stack up across weight classes when they are deciding to move up or down for the 5 Olympic categories. Everyone is in the same boat as far as that goes. At this point, given the IWF's gangsterism vis a vis doping control and pay to play and its ongoing antagonizing of the IOC, we are lucky to even be included in Paris. As it stands now weightlifting won't be on the program for LA - 2028.
Yeah I never really got why they suddenly forced Ursula Garza out and put in place a guy well known for doping scandals. I thought a lot of what she was doing was trying to improve the sport. Then the IWFs attempt to change how comps were handled to make it more spectator friendly... oy.

Yeah I never really got why they suddenly forced Ursula Garza out and put in place a guy well known for doping scandals. I thought a lot of what she was doing was trying to improve the sport. Then the IWFs attempt to change how comps were handled to make it more spectator friendly... oy.
Ursula was forced out by the corrupt faction who did not want to see reforms. Things have shifted internally somewhat. Tokyo had 0 adverse tests. The problem generally has been resistance to complying with out of competition testing by many of the top programs which historically/culturally view doping as an absolute requirement for heavy training cycles: sound sports pharmacology. In- competition testing thus becomes kind of meaningless when out of competition doping is timed “properly.” Athletes that get popped these days either didn’t follow team doctor instructions or were acting on their own, so 0 positives inTokyo does not mean there wasn’t doping going on in training, it just means the usual suspects weren’t glowing in the dark when they got there. Members "must play their part" if weightlifting is to regain Olympic status

Back
Top Bottom