all posts post new thread

Welcome to Meat Town!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I bought some nice nibbles here in uk, you may have different names/shops over yonder. Thin slices of cheese with chilli wrapped in chorizo slices, a spicey Spanish sausage. Moreish and very yummy.

I was reading through the "Hit the Target" post and getting jealous that there's not a real Italian butcher anywhere near me. Not much for variety out here in the sticks.

@LoriLifts- Schedule a high carb, low fat, moderate but clean protien day. It will help with you metabolism, and more importantly, your sanity. If you read the anabolic diet pieces floating around, Dr. D says to have a a high carb day or two in a row after the first 10-14 days and then every weekend. Trust me, they are life savers. I prefer beer and pizza, at the least beer. Lol.

I was thinking the same thing @ShawnM . I was reading about Vince Gironda's steak and egg diet. He recommends a high carb day once a week.

I'm not craving carbs. I'm just bored with eating brown foods. And I miss texture. The only crispy stuff I eat is bacon!

I had the same issue a few years ago when I followed the same diet plan. I looked to foods of different cultures for change. Thai, Middle Eastern, you name it. I found foods from Mediterean Countries, mostly Greece made it easier. Lots of seafood with big flavors.

@LoriLifts are you eating chicken thighs? How about pork like pork steak/chops? These are some protein alternatives, like fish, that aren't necessarily brown in color.

Hey guys, thanks for the "non brown" meat options! I'm going to try all of them.

I'm going to be on the road for a week and may not be able to do an update until I get home. I'll only have my company iPad with me.

I found a product that satisfies my craving for crunch. It's Moon cheese and I get it at Starbucks. It's only made with cheese. I don't want to eat much of the processed stuff. But if it gets me over the hump, so be it.

Back again next week. Here's a photo of Moon cheese..
moon.jpg

-I miss the texture of different foods. Especially crunchy stuff.

I missed crunchy stuff more than anything after I cut carbs, until I found the best pork rinds in the WORLD! They are made by a company called Epic, who also make good beef jerky. Should be able to find them at Whole Foods or at a Food co-op. I get the Sea Salt and Black Pepper ones, they are incredible. Also really good with Guac or salsa.

I'm not supposed to be back on the forum yet. I'm still out of town and am using my company iPad. I'm not surfing for naughty things (However, I better be careful typing Meat Town).

I made it 21 days on my meat diet. The goal was 30 days.

Despite the shortened timeline, I proclaim this challenge a success. Here's why..

Eating meat curbed my sugar cravings. Days 1-5 were tough. Cupcakes haunted my dreams. Then, poof, the cravings retreated.

When my cravings were tamed, I was able to recognize true hunger. I've naturally gravitated to eating Warrior Diet style. One main meal at night feels right.

After living in Meat Town for 21 days, guess what? I appreciate and even crave meat!

That's it for now. If my company is monitoring my iPad....I love my job!

In my last post, I wrote about the advantages of a meat diet.

Here were the downsides of eating meat/eggs/dairy for 21 days.

Texture! Although I wasn't craving salads, I missed the crunch of fruits and vegetables.

Color! Most of my food was brown. Some folks recommended adding more fish meals. That was a good idea, I should have bought some halibut.

Social constraints when eating in restaurants! Eating only meat doesn't take much time. While my husband is eating appetizers, entrees and desserts, I'm eating a piece of steak. I can get that done in 10 minutes, then I'm ready to leave.

Meat still rocks, but my husband is glad I'm eating more stuff...

@ LoriLifts

Quite the experiment, thanks for sharing!

I have to ask if you sampled BG levels at all during this?

Also, did you try any raw or recently killed uncooked meat?

I'm not even sure how you could arrange such a thing in terms of red meat without doing it yourself, but it would seem to be another piece of the high/near total/all meat diet as it was traditionally practiced, at least for some parts of the animal.

@ LoriLifts

Quite the experiment, thanks for sharing!

I have to ask if you sampled BG levels at all during this?

Also, did you try any raw or recently killed uncooked meat?

I'm not even sure how you could arrange such a thing in terms of red meat without doing it yourself, but it would seem to be another piece of the high/near total/all meat diet as it was traditionally practiced, at least for some parts of the animal.

Hi NCM...
I do have a glucometer and strips, I should have checked my levels. My numbers usually stay between 75-95, I've never had high BG (knock on wood).

I did test for ketones after about 2 weeks. I have a Ketonix, which is a breath ketone analyzer. According to the Ketonix, I had moderate traces of ketones. That was interesting because I didn't track my macros. I was eating fatty meats, that must have been enough to keep me in ketosis. I bet leaner cuts wouldn't have done so.

Raw meat...I was tempted but chickened out. During my experiment, I was out of town in Durango, Colorado. There is a local ranch that sells it's beef and eggs and cheese. I can see the cattle grazing on the grass. If I was ever to sample raw meat, this would be the place. I've read about the benefits of raw meat, but I couldn't get the nerve to do it. If I do this experiment again, I'll add more fish and some raw meat. Maybe steak tartar or beef carpacchio.

@LoriLifts- I've added salads to my lunches and dinners this week and feel so much better and find this a much better way to do this type of diet. My carbs are under 50 grams and I can add a little more fat to my diet by adding extra olive oil to my favorite Greek salad dressing. Toss in a few hard boiled eggs and you get the same amount of protien and fats, added crunch and changed the texture. Your digestive system will like it too.

Hope this helps and it's good to have you back!

@ShawnM It sure is good to be back.

I'm centering my meal around a protein source, then adding in other stuff. Like you, I'm keeping my carb count low too.

My biggest discovery was tapering down to one main meal a day. Snacks didn't have the same allure on the Meat diet. Although, bacon makes a pretty good snack. And so do pork rinds. I just didn't feel the urge to snack.

Just discovered this thread! I swear the pictures of bacon on page 1 actually had me salivating.

Great experiment, I wonder if the cravings for food variety was just the mind or the body trying to communicate by the mind?

Just discovered this thread! I swear the pictures of bacon on page 1 actually had me salivating.

Great experiment, I wonder if the cravings for food variety was just the mind or the body trying to communicate by the mind?

In my case, I'm sure it was my sneaky brain. I was very satisfied eating meat. I bet if I continued the experiment, the boredom would have subsided. If I could have found some green or yellow meat that was crunchy, I could have continued. On second thought, if I ate yellow crunchy meat, I'd be typing in a hospital bed.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom