all posts post new thread

Bodyweight WELCOME to the new forum.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Karen Smith

Level 6 Valued Member
Master Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Iron Maiden
With the new forum being separated into each modality it will be easier/quicker to get all your bodyweight questions answered. Looking forward to helping you and hopefully seeing you at an SFB course or certification in the future. :)
- Karen Smith
Chief SFB Instructor

Hi Karen! I'm looking forward to a bodyweight seminar. You should head out to the San Francisco Bay Area. The weather is always nice!

In the mean time can you suggest a beginner path? What is the equivalent of Simple and Sinister for bodyweight training? Would you suggest Naked Warrior to start?

-------
Requested Background:
(Suggestion: Since you ask for this on all the forums, it would be cool it we could just have all this in our profile.)
relevant demographics: your age, gender, height, weight, body composition if you know it
33, Male, 6'1", 187, 12% fat by Navy Tape Method.
- injury history: do you, e.g., does something hurt when you lift your arms overhead, when you kneel down, or similar?
None (Phew!)
- movement history: have you had a Functional Movement Screen? Do you move well or do you feel your muscles and joints are in less than in good working order?
Yes, I've self screened. My score is 18 with points lost on deep squat, shoulder mobility and rotary stability. I'm feeling good.
- sports/competition history: tell us what sports you participate in, if you compete in them now, in the past, or hope to in the future.
In highschool I played basketball and football. Then I basically ignored by body for 10 years. In 2013 I lost 50 lbs. In 2014 I worked on mobility in the last half of 2014 and 15 I've worked on strength. First with naked warrior, then with Swings and getups. I own the 1.5 on swings and use a 2. I Own the 1.5 on getups and use a 2 when I'm feeling good.
And last but certainly not least, where do you want to go from here? What are your goals and dreams for yourself in terms of achievement with your body?
My main physical goal is extreme freedom of movement. With my mind I have the confidence to tackle anything, and know I can handle it. Nothing scares me, no field is too tough. I want the same freedom I have intellectually in the physical world. I’d like to be able to do, to enjoy doing, and to be good at things like parkour, or the way Jacky Chan moves. (One reason I started with kettlebells is to build up my tendons for jumping. When I first lost the weigh I just felt fragile. Now I feel like and can handle learning to move this way.) I'm working with a Movnat coach for these reasons.

I’m also looking for a complete physical movement practice I can keep for life. I think it should naturally combine all these things:
  • A meditative breathing practice
  • A focus on being in the moment, something that can lead to a feeling of flow
  • Elements of Strength – High neuromuscular tension
  • Elements of Relaxation – Low/no neuromuscular tension
  • Elements of Speed – fast pulsing between high neuromuscular tension and low/no neuromuscular tension

Hi Karen! Great to see you here!

I tried the SFBchallenge and SFLchallenge today. Will upload to the StrongFirst Instructors Facebook page. The SFL challenge 3 x (1.25x bodyweight Deadlift) no problem, but the bodyweight 3 L-sit chinups, I have a ways to go!

Maybe you could post the challenge here on the forum?

Hi Travis -
Naked Warrior is a great place to start, GTG with a few of the bodyweight moves until you have them dial in. At that time you can add them into a program in a rep/set scheme. If you have specific questions about certain skills, please let me know and I can be more specific.
I would love to head to SF, it is a beautiful place.
Karen

Hi Karen! I'm looking forward to a bodyweight seminar. You should head out to the San Francisco Bay Area. The weather is always nice!

In the mean time can you suggest a beginner path? What is the equivalent of Simple and Sinister for bodyweight training? Would you suggest Naked Warrior to start?

-------
Requested Background:
(Suggestion: Since you ask for this on all the forums, it would be cool it we could just have all this in our profile.)
relevant demographics: your age, gender, height, weight, body composition if you know it
33, Male, 6'1", 187, 12% fat by Navy Tape Method.
- injury history: do you, e.g., does something hurt when you lift your arms overhead, when you kneel down, or similar?
None (Phew!)
- movement history: have you had a Functional Movement Screen? Do you move well or do you feel your muscles and joints are in less than in good working order?
Yes, I've self screened. My score is 18 with points lost on deep squat, shoulder mobility and rotary stability. I'm feeling good.
- sports/competition history: tell us what sports you participate in, if you compete in them now, in the past, or hope to in the future.
In highschool I played basketball and football. Then I basically ignored by body for 10 years. In 2013 I lost 50 lbs. In 2014 I worked on mobility in the last half of 2014 and 15 I've worked on strength. First with naked warrior, then with Swings and getups. I own the 1.5 on swings and use a 2. I Own the 1.5 on getups and use a 2 when I'm feeling good.
And last but certainly not least, where do you want to go from here? What are your goals and dreams for yourself in terms of achievement with your body?
My main physical goal is extreme freedom of movement. With my mind I have the confidence to tackle anything, and know I can handle it. Nothing scares me, no field is too tough. I want the same freedom I have intellectually in the physical world. I’d like to be able to do, to enjoy doing, and to be good at things like parkour, or the way Jacky Chan moves. (One reason I started with kettlebells is to build up my tendons for jumping. When I first lost the weigh I just felt fragile. Now I feel like and can handle learning to move this way.) I'm working with a Movnat coach for these reasons.

I’m also looking for a complete physical movement practice I can keep for life. I think it should naturally combine all these things:
  • A meditative breathing practice
  • A focus on being in the moment, something that can lead to a feeling of flow
  • Elements of Strength – High neuromuscular tension
  • Elements of Relaxation – Low/no neuromuscular tension
  • Elements of Speed – fast pulsing between high neuromuscular tension and low/no neuromuscular tension

Anna - That is a great idea, I will see if I can get it loaded early next week as I leave again tomorrow to teach a workshop. Hope you are doing well.

Hi Karen! Great to see you here!

I tried the SFBchallenge and SFLchallenge today. Will upload to the StrongFirst Instructors Facebook page. The SFL challenge 3 x (1.25x bodyweight Deadlift) no problem, but the bodyweight 3 L-sit chinups, I have a ways to go!

Maybe you could post the challenge here on the forum?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom