all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Wellness.....too far?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I love this response from the comments:

10am: Frosties, poo, tea. Not necessarily in that order.
10.45am: Shower (maybe)
11am-1pm: Judge Judy, Bargain Hunt
1pm: Pot Noodle, chips (possibly another poo).
2-5pm: Sofa/telly. Salty snacks to keep my blood pressure elevated as God intended.
5pm onwards: the bar is open for a sharpener.....whatever takes my fancy.
7pm: Something with chips.
8pm: Pub
11pm: Light refreshment - maybe a small kebab. Some time after midnight: crash fully clothed and sleep like a baby.
Next day: repeat.

A good many years ago working in mental health there was a certain demographic - the 'worried well'.
We all have our anxieties, fears and levels of hyperchondria.
This level of wellness seeking seems to be a whole new level of extreme.
Reassuring to know I'm not the only one.

Is this for real? Are these actual living people describing with the really do?

What Jim said...
Romans 1:22 (ESV): “Claiming to be wise, they became fools,”

If this is suppose to be something to aspire for I am afraid this is the twilight of civilization...

Is this for real? Are these actual living people describing with the really do?

What Jim said...

If this is suppose to be something to aspire for I am afraid this is the twilight of civilization...

Hopefully just a snowflake storm, I'm sick of these metros and their safe spaces..
I think millennials get a bad rap as a whole, the whiny little twits who get 'offended' at the drop of a hat are the ones you hear about most from the propagandists, AKA the media..
I know many of them (millennials) and they are awesome people..

I have similar schedule:

Wake up. Breathe. Fast. Write. Study. Lift. Fight. Teach. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

No grams, mililitres, calories or what not counting.

Not wellness - toughness. Makes you feel well.

I read it thinking it was spoof. Ruling that out, it is either real and accurate to 'based on real events, some aspects have been heightened for dramatic effect ', where on that scale, who knows.
Such is the madness in the wellness, longevity and bonkers sphere of mumbo jumbo that I'm edging that it is authentic. There are blogs and such written by fitness peeps and podcasters with very similar attention to detail of every 'bio hack' and self help spiritual awakening whatnot device or action available out there somewhere. And, cynically, I feel, those are embellished somewhat to get punters to buy into....with cash and/or beliefs.
This is just a manifestation of all that stuff in the most extreme.
Some of us I'm sure do some of this stuff - from fish oil supps, shakes to sauna for health lifestyle choices but where is the line? If there is a line, even, each to their own.

If this a real article...
All these people have high functioning obsessive-compulsive personality disorders. Not 100% sure, but the behaviors are extremely typical of OCPD (which is different from OCD, btw)
50% of their mental energy is spent on things make a 5% improvement in their lives (this is one the things that screams OCPD).
Also, you will note, that none of them have children. Children are tiny hurricanes of chaos that force you to get rid of the excess crap, and focus on the things that actually make a difference. Either their weird genes will die with them, or they will eventually be forced to quit majoring in minors.

This coming from someone who has a similar personality type; I pride myself on being consistent and efficient with health related stuff, while also trying to keep from getting pulled into the "perfection trap". If you read the article, you know what a perfection trap is. I have heard of everything they mention in that article, and have tried a fair amount of it. Most of it's garbage, with the exception of eating real food, exercising, and approaching mental health with the same seriousness we approach physical health (which, as it turns out, responds really well to eating real food and exercising).

+1 to @Bret S. and what he said about fragility. When the ICBMs start flying, they will be the first to go, as they try to figure out how to pack 6 months of coconut water into their Tesla.

There are blogs and such written by fitness peeps and podcasters with very similar attention to detail of every 'bio hack' and self help spiritual awakening whatnot device or action available out there somewhere. And, cynically, I feel, those are embellished somewhat to get punters to buy into....with cash and/or beliefs.
There are many parallels in golf, look at the endless supply of useless gadgets people are dropping real money for. Fitness industry is the same ..

@Snowman, great point about focusing on minutia so much there's little to no payoff, I just had this conversation with my brother this morning, he lost over 100 lbs in a year swinging a bell and doing Atkins meals from Wally World.
Then he started geeking on keto and got lost in the details, so now he's back to doing what works.

One thing I've learned and it's been reinforced by
@Al Ciampa is you have to embrace and thrive doing the boring and mundane. For me it's exciting as I approach the days training, I never 'hate' training, what I hate is when I can't train. It's the same mentality that's kept me doing the same forms for over 30 yrs doing Tang Soo Do practice, there's always something to learn, even if you've done it 1000's of times.

Got your credit card handy?

Home page - HumanCharger

HumanCharger®, a market disruptor. This revolutionary device is for your well-being and channels bright light directly to the light-sensitive regions of the brain, right where it is needed the most.

.....like, in your ear.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom