all posts post new thread

Barbell Westside Conjugate Method

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EnterSandman

Level 1 Valued Member
I dont know if anyone here follows the westside method for powerlifting.
My aim is to compete raw (with wraps) and i am interested in this method because i can follow it for a long time.
I need some tips to create my own template.
Details:
I squat wide stance with a higher bar position
I bench with a good arch and medium grip
I Deadlift conventional.

As far as variations goes ill change them every 3 ME. Squat and Deadlift are alternated.
Help me out with variations.

SQUAT VARIATIONS:
Front squat, narrow stance squat, wide stance paused squat. Something else?
DEADLIFT VARIATIONS:
sumo, snatch grip, deficit
BENCH VARIATIONS:
close grip, wide grip, floor press, long pause bench

Template example:
ME Lower day
Squat or dl variation 1-3rm then back off with 80% of 1-3rm@ 5x3
Assistance work-
Hamstring curls, leg press, back extension, good morning 3x10

ME UPPER DAY
bench variation same as lower day
Assistance-
Db shoulder press, db flyes, tricep push downs, rows, lat pulldown 3x10

DE LOWER DAY
squat AND dl competition style 8x2@60-65-70%
Assistance same as ME

DE UPPER DAY
bench competition style 8x2@60-65-70%
Assistance same as ME

I followed Westside when I competed many moons ago. Yes, it works but it can get very complicated with changing lifts all the time. Once I started 5,3,1 and kept the core lifts the same and changed my assistance work life got easier. You can still get DE work in, swap press day for DE bench day and whatever support stuff you think you need. After deadlift ME work do DE squat work, after your ME Squats throw in clean deads for 8 x 3 and a support lift for abs.

If you are going raw keep it simple IMO. Yes, Westside can work for raw powerlifting, I just think that a less complex plan is beet.

Either way, good luck with you training.

Box squatting seems like the first variation to go when applied to raw lifters. Also i dont sit back when i squat. I go straight down so i can be more vertical

when I did westside some years back, a focus was to find your "weakest link" in each the primary lifts, and then focus on a couple assistance lifts, done heavy, for 2-3 weeks to make that a strong link. Then some primary lifts to find the new "weakest links," and on to a cycle of assistance lifts to strengthen those. Box squats, done a certain way, were a big help if you were weak (relatively) coming out of the hole.

I did westside for 2.5 years as beach volleyball player (so raw). I stopped because the assistance work left me tapped out and I wanted to try other methods. I agree with @Matts, don't plan ahead your assistance work, find your weakest links and address them (that's why westsiders row on lower body days as well). I works very well. Do box squats! Box squats has nothing to do geared/raw and everything to do with squat mechanics, emphasizing hip drive and breaking the stretch-shortening cycle. You should also cycle your DE lifts from time to time, and go for 75% - 80% -85% on squats. Adjust these numbers by monitoring speed (squat speed should be ~1 m/s).

I'll probably get back to main-lift-only westside variation in Easy Strength fashion sometime in the not so far future

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom