all posts post new thread

Nutrition "What’s new in intermittent fasting research? More not-so-good news"

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
If doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results is a fruitless endeavor, what does this say about intermittent fasting research? A year or so ago, I wrote about some of the less-than-sparkly research on this enduringly trendy method of dieting. The 300-plus intermittent fasting studies from 2022 offer more of the same.

A few studies, including one I will talk about shortly, did look promising, but they had concerning flaws. I also stumbled upon some intermittent fasting studies from the 1960s and 1970s, confirming that there really is nothing new under the sun when it comes to dieting — and if any of these diets worked they wouldn’t intermittently fall out of favor. I will give these early studies credit for the truthful audacity of some of their language. One 1970 study even used the term “intermittent starvation.” Indeed.

But back to the present. Overall, this latest round of studies continues to find that intermittent fasting isn’t any better than good old-fashioned calorie restriction for weight loss and improving health markers such as blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Considering that caloric restriction hasn’t proven to be good for those things either — except maybe in the short term — that’s not a ringing endorsement for intermittent fasting.

More at:

Back
Top Bottom