all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What’s the advantage of virgin metal in kettlebells

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

fractal

Level 7 Valued Member
I see some manufacturers indicating their products are superior because they don’t use recycled metals. How exactly does this make them better?

No such thing as virgin metal. It's all been melted and cooled quite a bit, just not by humans ;)

The virgin metal bells I’ve handled feel more balanced than the cheaper recycled ones, but I attribute that to better casting processes

This is probably true. A company willing to charge extra for "virgin metal" is probably also willing to charge extra for a better casting process, which might actually make a difference in quality. Maybe someday, when I grow up, I'll be able to tell the difference between a good kettlbell and a great kettlebell. And maybe someday, when I grow up, I'll be able to afford a great kettlebell...

And some people get strong by lifting concrete blocks and found objects.
At the end of the day it's the work we put in that counts, not the tools we use.

(That being said... it is nice to have good stuff...)

I see some manufacturers indicating their products are superior because they don’t use recycled metals. How exactly does this make them better?

My bells are made in China with welded handles, they're modeled after Rouges. I saw a 24 somebody dropped on the handle and broke, the break was not at the handle welds.

The full set cost under $1400.00 total I believe..
2 x 12k
2 x 16k
2 x 20k
2 x 24k
2 x 28k
2 x 32k
2 x 36k
2 x 40k
2 x 44k
2 x 48k
I know the owner of the supply company and got them for .99 cents/lb with no tax or shipping. Local supplier

There are 'nicer' bells around but I don't care, they will last my lifetime and many others if taken care of. (y)

My bells are made in China with welded handles, they're modeled after Rouges. I saw a 24 somebody dropped on the handle and broke, the break was not at the handle welds.

The full set cost under $1400.00 total I believe..
2 x 12k
2 x 16k
2 x 20k
2 x 24k
2 x 28k
2 x 32k
2 x 36k
2 x 40k
2 x 44k
2 x 48k
I know the owner of the supply company and got them for .99 cents/lb with no tax or shipping. Local supplier

There are 'nicer' bells around but I don't care, they will last my lifetime and many others if taken care of. (y)

What a set! You don’t do things by halves
I’m glad to see my scepticism was warranted.

Since I’m going to have to miss this week of training, I’m spending a bit of time planning my next snatch bell when I’m ready to progress from the 24 (by the end of the year I hope).

I’ve got that 30kg (definitely melted down railroad spikes and car parts), which will probably be okay if I put some time into the handle. I’d rather not buy both a 28 and a 32 if it’s possible to avoid it.

What a set! You don’t do things by halves
I’m glad to see my scepticism was warranted.

Since I’m going to have to miss this week of training, I’m spending a bit of time planning my next snatch bell when I’m ready to progress from the 24 (by the end of the year I hope).

I’ve got that 30kg (definitely melted down railroad spikes and car parts), which will probably be okay if I put some time into the handle. I’d rather not buy both a 28 and a 32 if it’s possible to avoid it.
Thanks fractal, I think if you want virgin iron you'd have to harvest it directly from the supernova that created it:cool:

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom