What’s your heaviest get up?

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by Kyle Kowalczuk, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Chrisdavisjr

Chrisdavisjr Quadruple-Digit Post Count

40kg at 64kg body weight. I could do 5 reps per arm on the minute on a good day but I haven't been practising them for a while.

My current max bench press is 90kg (198lbs) and my max deadlift is 120kg (264lbs) at a body weight of 67kg (147½lbs).

Maine-ah KB and Kyle Kowalczuk like this.
  2. Kyle Kowalczuk

Kyle Kowalczuk Triple-Digit Post Count

Impressive numbers you have there. Interestingly enough, if I fail on bench I fail very high. Near lockout. I’ve had multiple AC separations in both shoulders. Could have something to do with the dynamic stabilization that the TGU is so great at when it comes to the shoulder joint and my bench press performance.

Lol, I guess you could be wearing the TGU if you really mess up

Anna C and Maine-ah KB like this.
  3. Kyle Kowalczuk

Wow yeah. I work with some people that are hypermobile. They are great in TGUs and carries but when it comes to grinds they struggle a bit.

Kevin Gupta likes this.
  4. Kyle Kowalczuk

Yes very true. Even though my 1rm is higher than the 40kg bell, I’d have to say on a normal training day the highest I am comfortable going to own the bell is around 40kg.

Bauer and Oscar like this.
  5. Kyle Kowalczuk

I e
    I would agree. Their hypermobile elbows also allow them to keep the lever arms throughout the movement favorable. I’m one of those that are tight and feel a lot of tension at lockout which is probly why my press and TGU are relatively close compared to others.

6. gorillainagi

gorillainagi Double-Digit Post Count

44kg both sides, should have 48kg in hand soon.

7. Brett Jones

Brett Jones StrongFirst Director of Education Staff Member Master Instructor

60kg performed a few years ago

Bret S., Kyle Kowalczuk, Bunn and 4 others like this.
  8. TravisS

TravisS More than 300 posts

40 kg don't have anything heavier at the moment.

9. MarkSch

MarkSch More than 300 posts

40Kg , for S&S. I can do 5L 5R in ten minutes, per the standard.
    My swings lag quite a bit behind, at 32 KG and not near the standard yet.

Bauer and Kyle Kowalczuk like this.
  10. crazycanuck

crazycanuck Quadruple-Digit Post Count

20kg, but just started being able to do the complete movement with this weight in the last few weeks after working on it in stages eg: roll to elbow till comfortable. Definitely would not do 5r/5l in 10 min but could at 16kg. Bodyweight 70kg, female. No barbell work.

Bauer and Kyle Kowalczuk like this.
  11. Kozushi

Kozushi More than 2500 posts

My heaviest kettlebell is 48kg, and I've done 5X2 reps with it a few times in my life.

Bodyweight 102kg.

MarkSch and Kyle Kowalczuk like this.
  12. Snowman

Snowman More than 500 posts

Three or four years ago I was doing S&S and got to where I was bringing 40 kilos into the mix for my TGU's. I did a few with 44 kilos because that was the heaviest they had at the gym. I don't know if I could have done one with 48 kilos or not. Bodyweight at the time was around 150-155 pounds.

Bret S. and Kyle Kowalczuk like this.
  13. Kyle Kowalczuk

Exciting and impressive! I can think of 2 other people who have a max bent press and max TGU that are the same weight including myself. Have you found that a max bent press and max TGU to be the same or close to be typical in many cases?

14. Kyle Kowalczuk

Very impressive to be able to handle the time under tension that 2 TGUs require with the beast.

Kozushi likes this.
  15. Kozushi

Kozushi More than 2500 posts

It's nice that you think so. I'm not sure it's a great feat considering my height and weight though. Also, it is quite challenging so I've only done it a few times. The plan of course is to eventually do S&S only with the 48. At the moment I only do S&S with the 40.

I've never properly trained for heavy deadlifts or presses, and I'm starting to want to do something with these moves if only just to see what happens if I get strong at them. I do deadlift singles with a mere 370lbs and the heaviest I've pressed one arm is the 40kg kettlebell.

Kyle Kowalczuk likes this.
  16. North Coast Miller

North Coast Miller More than 2500 posts

Reps with 40kg, all-time best was sets of 3 reps.

Pretty sure I could have gone higher, but was stacking KBs on my 32 and wasn't confident enough to load more than a 20lber.

Kyle Kowalczuk and Bret S. like this.
  17. North

North Double-Digit Post Count

40 kg after completing the simple standard with the 32.

18. masa

masa More than 2500 posts

40 kg few years back. Never achieved Simple time standards, but did regularly all swings and get-ups @31 kg weight back then.

19. WhatWouldHulkDo

WhatWouldHulkDo More than 500 posts

Bodyweight 235#.

I work with the 48 for TGUs (alternate with the 40), but don't have anything heavier to "max" with. I figure, the day I do a solid set of 5x1 x side with the 48, my reward will be to go buy a 56. Figure I'm still at least half a year from that.

DL max 445#- hopefully higher now, find out in May...

I don't bench press, but I can comment that it doesn't seem like my TGU correlates well to pressing strength. A year or so back I stopped pressing for a while to focus on more S&S. At the time I could press the 32 for 3, and was working towards Simple. My TGU went up nicely in months that followed, hit simple and got all the way to doing the whole session with the 40. But when I retested my press it had dropped pretty significantly - getting 1 with the 32 was tough. So... my experience was that increasing the TGU didn't even maintain press strength. To press a lot, I have to press a lot.

Kyle Kowalczuk and Tirofijo like this.
  20. dnguyen411

dnguyen411 More than 500 posts

My TGU PR is 44 kg. I haven't done it in a while now since I injured my elbow back in December. I was at a weight of 185 lbs at the time.

My best barbell deadlift was 315 lbs for 5 reps. I haven't tried a 1 rep max.