all posts post new thread

Old Forum What about us?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Skrat

Level 5 Valued Member
I have enormous respect for this new entity and it's predecessor for the expert training of instructors in both philosophy and technique. The result of this has to be, in my opinion, an extraordinany number of we students who are excited and highly motivated by our own training and learning experience. Short of attempting these various certifications that are probably not necessary for many of us, I am not aware of anything that would allow us to "test" ourselves against some uniform standards. Personally I would like to have some way to measure my improvements and help set attainable goals that go beyond my personal goals and allow me to compare myself against others. Perhaps as StrongFirst gains some maturity as an organization and the trials of establishing it ease a bit, I hope some one might give some thought to this. I believe there are many who would be interested in something of this nature and the number surely will increase as you continue to produce highly qualified instructors.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, Pavel has given many examples of good standards to aim for:

ETK: half bodyweight press (single arm) and 200 snatches in 10 minutes with 24kg (men, 16 for women)

ROTK: Bodyweight double kettlebell press, long cycle C&J numbers based on bodyweight with pair of 32s:

Easy Strength: Bench 1.5, Squat 2, Deadlift 2.5  Olympic lifts snatch bodyweight, c&j 1.5, c&p 1.

NW: one arm one leg pushup, pistol

Plus, there's nothing stopping you from making the requirements of any of the certs your personal challenge, even if you don't feel like going.  They're posted on the site, after all.

"Short of attempting these various certifications that are probably not necessary for many of us, I am not aware of anything that would allow us to “test” ourselves against some uniform standards. Personally I would like to have some way to measure my improvements and help set attainable goals that go beyond my personal goals and allow me to compare myself against others."

Check this out: http://www.tacticalstrengthchallenge.com/

If that doesn't fit your needs, throw down a challenge that interests you and see if anyone takes you up on it.

In addition to the standards Jason has articulated, there are also the kettlebell sport ranks from the Russian military in the 1980's, which are found in Russian Kettlebell Challenge.

Short of attempting these various certifications that are probably not necessary for many of us
The only necessary things in life are paying taxes and dying.

Take an SF cert because you will learn more in 3 days than you can possibly imagine and because you will reap the benefits of that knowledge for the rest of your life.

-S-
Steve Freides, StrongFirst Team Leader
http://www.kbnj.com
http://RideChickens.blogspot.com

Take an SF cert because you will learn more in 3 days than you can possibly imagine and because you will reap the benefits of that knowledge for the rest of your life.

This.

Steve's point is a good one, and I considered mentioning the original RKC book standards, but when you compare them to modern standards, it's enough to make a man cry.  Given a time machine, I could be MS in GS right now.  Without a time machine, not even close.

Nonetheless, they're still great numbers to aim for, and no reason why they can't be your focus, other than if you really go that route, you may as well switch to GS (a fine and worthy sport of its own).  For me, I still like to do the numbers for my weight  in the old RKC snatch test with one hand switch, even though I never had to take that test.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom