all posts post new thread

Off-Topic What actually do help vs bad posture caused by too much pressing?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

blubb

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello,

I got very hunched forward by too much pressing and now looks like Donald Duck. <yikes> What is the fastest way to fix this? Is it by doing heavy back squats with good form? I'm almost scared to do them so my body doesn't stay in this position! I have been working out a lot of back lately, mainly going heavy with one arm bent over row, hypertrophy with chest supported row and also seated cable row. Even though my shoulder gets pulled back a bit more, my lats and traps just completely blows up and I get that Quasimodo look. So, it helps with the shoulders but it does not really help the erector spinae I think. I'm obviously not training chest and I have considered to just stop with all my training except doing rear delt isolation work 3 times per week. Would that work? My bum is also sticking out so that's why I'm thinking that squats could be good to just straightening out my whole erector spinae that is just out of balance or am I thinking it wrong?

Would really appreciate some answers cause this is making me feel so bad to be honest.

Your shoulders should be able to protract; they just shouldn't be stuck in protraction. In my experience these things are better when treated as a system (larger movement patterns), not parts ("strengthen muscle x because it's weak"). A big part of the issue is not from the training room; it's also from the daily habits. You can still train chest, just stretch it a lot afterwards. Rows are good, but you will likely see better progress if you don't approach it muscle by muscle.

This is my favorite one stop shop for this kind of issue. Be sure to squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top, push hands into the floor, open the front of the chest, squeeze the glutes and do NOT look at your knees, look at the ceiling. Work towards (not start at) 3 sets of ten or so minimum of 3-4 days/week.

Also heavily recommend Original Strength neck nods and resets.

I think you’ve got some mobility issues in your pecs and shoulders. Look up the Mind Pump Podcast videos about upper cross.

They have a pretty cool way of diagnosing it (if it’s what it sounds like, you do) where you press your butt, lumbar spine, thoracic spine, shoulders, and the knob on the back of your skull against a wall then attempt to attach your elbows and wrists to the wall with your humerus parallel to the ground and your forearms vertical. Look up the video for better explanation.

They then go into some stretches for the anterior muscles and workouts for the posterior muscles to help correct the issue. Kettlebell armbar was one of the movements they discuss.

I would also recommend buying a copy of Supple Leopard and reading through the first part of the book, then use the last chapters to find ways to address the mobility issue.

I agree with the squat and the deadlift.

I also agree that it's likely you need some mobility work. Open up your upper body. Remember the posture all the time.

One loaded exercise to add that comes to mind is the behind the neck press. It's not just a great press, it really opens up the chest and teaches how to load the upper back and shoulders.

Begin a lifelong friendship with: the bridge, the cobra (and pump) stretch, and then, yes, squat with good form (IMHO). OS resets seem like magic as well.

Original strength resets literally fixed my posture within weeks after years of trying! Super easy to do as well. Definitely look into it. Read up on original strength and posture
Hey Dan,
Can I jump on and ask what kind of sets / reps you were doing? And were you doing them as part of, or as your whole practice?
Thanks

Hey Dan,
Can I jump on and ask what kind of sets / reps you were doing? And were you doing them as part of, or as your whole practice?
Thanks
I basically did each reset for two minutes each in the evening (except breathing, so 8 minutes total. I did the breathing during the other Resets).

Plus some random ressts throughout the day - either during warm ups for running or lifting, or between sets, or when warding tv. Just incidental stuff.

Other than that I was running, cycling, and doing some swings and get ups mostly

I basically did each reset for two minutes each in the evening (except breathing, so 8 minutes total. I did the breathing during the other Resets).

Plus some random ressts throughout the day - either during warm ups for running or lifting, or between sets, or when warding tv. Just incidental stuff.

Other than that I was running, cycling, and doing some swings and get ups mostly
Thanks for the reply - did my first round this morning and they seem to have massively helped! Awesome.

Thanks people! Will def read your tips and listen to the podcast!
I have been doing a lot of stretching and I think for sure it's been helping me some.
Does anyone know a good way to isolate the lower/mid back and not get much lats engagement, if it's even possible? I'm thinking a rowing machine (not an erg but an actual machine) and then sit pretty high up so I'm hitting my middle back. People always talk bad about machines but in my case maybe it's the best alternative? Cause as I said, whenever I do one arm bent over row, my shoulders improves but then lats and traps gets some muscles so it's almost like a catch 22 situation.

It sounds, based on your approach and exercise selection, like you aren't using a program. You're developing the build and posture that you train for, getting exactly that.

I would highly recommend rebuilding your entire strategy from the ground up based on a balanced push/ pull/ hinge/ squat / program, rather than piecemeal correctives onto an approach that has already caused problems.

Does anyone know a good way to isolate the lower/mid back and not get much lats engagement, if it's even possible?
Two things:

A) the table rock drill I posted above. Externally rotate your shoulders at the top. Good luck making your lats fire in shoulder extension. Really, training active shoulder extension will help this issue a lot.

B) Straight arm band pull-aparts with external rotation.

In upper cross people tend to be heavily internally rotated. You need more external rotation as well.

Two things:

A) the table rock drill I posted above. Externally rotate your shoulders at the top. Good luck making your lats fire in shoulder extension. Really, training active shoulder extension will help this issue a lot.

B) Straight arm band pull-aparts with external rotation.

In upper cross people tend to be heavily internally rotated. You need more external rotation as well.
Thanks!! Will have to buy one of those bands! :) Any idea how much resident I should aim for? Light: 7-11 kg or Medium: 9-20 kg

Yeah, I have been hanging myself too and it's been amazing! Get-Ups looks interesting, probably good for the hip flexors! :) Ty!

Thanks!! Will have to buy one of those bands! :) Any idea how much resident I should aim for? Light: 7-11 kg or Medium: 9-20 kg
The 9-20kg would likely be a good start, unless your back is that underdeveloped, which it doesn't sound like it is. Maybe one level higher as you get stronger with it.

A question for clarity—which "press" or "presses" have you been doing/training that you feel have changed your posture?

The 9-20kg would likely be a good start, unless your back is that underdeveloped, which it doesn't sound like it is. Maybe one level higher as you get stronger with it.
Yes, I just thought that band pull aparts were like facepulls, go a bit lighter to hit the smaller muscles. Well, will start with the middle one and go from there!

A question for clarity—which "press" or "presses" have you been doing/training that you feel have changed your posture?
Honestly, it's almost only pushups and incline push ups, haven't done much OHP/front raises at all. I was probably a bit hunched forward before I started to train as well. I really thought training my back would solve it, cause everyone said "row, row, row" so now surely I must be stronger in my back than my chest. Last time I rowed 30kg with the one bent over row for 6 reps and I would guess that my bench would be something similar 60kg~ for some reps.
I think I should probably just stop working out my back now and focus on squats, band pull aparts and stretches

Check t-spine mobility as well and extension.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom