all posts post new thread

Bodyweight What are good replacements for pistol squats? Other good protocols?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

gorenut

Level 1 Valued Member
So I'm thinking going with the Naked Warrior protocol to have something to do when I'm not home. At least half the week I'm over at my girlfriend's place and away from all my equipment. Normally I do a combination of Simple/Sinister, Dylan Werner's Strength Yoga and various things on pull-up bar + suspension cables. She lives in a small condo so I need something to do that takes up no space. I discovered Naked Warrior on here and I love the concept of something very simple with very little to remember (just like Simple/Sinister) on top of being able to do exercises in short bursts. Unfortunately I separated my left ankle about a decade ago in Muay Thai and even after rehabilitation, the range of motion is terrible. I can do plenty of pistol squats on my right side, but not my left. Are there any exercises, either singular or a combination of a few that can help fill in grounds of pistol squats?

Also, if anyone has any other bodyweight practices that require zero equipment that also comprises of only 2-4 movements and can be done in short bursts, let me know.

Thanks in advance for any input.

A new kettlebell takes up virtually no room.

I know, I have an assortment of them from 16KG to 32KG and could easily bring at least one to her place to leave there.. but the problem is her condo is totally furnished with no real space to do swings. Also, since she has wood floors, I'd have to get mats which take up even more room.

You may still be able to do freestanding pistols on the restricted side by raising your heel (such as on a weight plate, piece of 2x4, etc.). You can also do pistols using a weight to counterbalance or using a suspension trainer or fixed object (such as a door frame) for support.

For your situation an airborne lunge would allow you to get essentially a pistol with your limited ankle mobility. I might also suggest some variations from these posts, 5 Simple Tips for a Stronger Pistol - StrongFirst and How to Build Up to 1 Pistol - Then 100 Consecutive Pistols - StrongFirst
The standing on a box variation could easily be accomplished with nearby steps, sturdy crates, or a sturdy chair. I think the main things for your ankle mobility would be only going as far as you can down and avoid putting your free leg out in front of you.

You mentioned you can do several reps, and cannot have equipment. Adding more tension than necessary to your bodyweight pistol may help with pure strength development when you are without equipment. I was reminded of this article From Body Weight To Heavy Weight on acheiving a heavy weighted pistol with only bodyweight practice.

Another thing to consider is that training with equipment/weighted exercises on days when you are home and lighter bodyweight exercises while away can lend some "cycling" and variety to your load and training. Best wishes!

Am I the only one that thinks the Airborne Lunge requires more ankle mobility than the pistol? I can't touch knee to ground unless I'm really pushing my knee forward, weight by the toes. As opposed to the pistol where I can actually keep the weight on the heel well.

My suggestion would be either pistols with a counterweight such that the knee doesn't need to travel forward much. Or holding onto a frame so that you can sit well back, keeping lower leg perpendicular to the floor.

As far as exercise selection is concerned, I think a lower body exercise and OAPUs are good. Ideally you throw a pullups variation in there too.

Am I the only one that thinks the Airborne Lunge requires more ankle mobility than the pistol? I can't touch knee to ground unless I'm really pushing my knee forward, weight by the toes. As opposed to the pistol where I can actually keep the weight on the heel well.

My suggestion would be either pistols with a counterweight such that the knee doesn't need to travel forward much. Or holding onto a frame so that you can sit well back, keeping lower leg perpendicular to the floor.

As far as exercise selection is concerned, I think a lower body exercise and OAPUs are good. Ideally you throw a pullups variation in there too.

+1.

No, you are not the only one.

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. Airborne Lunges are the perfect addition to my 531 squat days. I was struggling with modified pistols, but these will take their place quite nicely. Thanks!

The knee tap squat is great because it is easy to learn and teach, requires no equipment, and can be regressed or progressed easily.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom