all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What are you bad at?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maine-ah KB

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi guys
During a resent workout did a bunch of stuff that i'm pretty bad at do to neglect. for me i am terrable a t dips. like real bad. for example pull ups on rings 7-9 is my max. TGU 28kg. dips on the other hand i'm challenged to do 1 strickly on rings.

Got me wondering what are you guys bad at? or have neglected for a while.
cheers

I am very good at picking plans. I could pick one every day. Pick one on the morning and totaly change my mind on the evening. It's my superpower. Can't say that about sticking with the plan and finishing it :)

Don't believe it's really a problem for you: I think most will not stick to a plan for 12 weeks like you did with ROP.

Thank you @Mirek :)

Well RoP was the first plan I managed to do for so long. It's great program. Technically I didnt finish the full 13 week cycle and lost a training day here and there. But I learned to be more patient and consistent.

Now I need something different and will focus on double kb movements. I want to commit to this for a couple months than maybe I will be ready (mentally) to start S&S with Sinister goal in mind. Doing the same practice for so long is hard to imagine for me, but at least I can imagine that now. Before RoP doing only S&S for many months was unimaginable :)

I am very good at picking plans. I could pick one every day. Pick one on the morning and totaly change my mind on the evening. It's my superpower. Can't say that about sticking with the plan and finishing it :)
I know what you mean :) and in an abstract way the SF homepage and the forum isn't helping with that. Every day you come here and read a new article or a new thread about the amazing benefits of exercise/program X or the great results some other member got with exercise/program Y. You want to include all of them into your routine.
Btw congrats on finishing your RoP cycle.

Contrary to popular internet opinion this is not the worst thing in the world.

Depending on what it is of course.
Yes in every sport a good coach will make your strengths even stronger and spend only a little amount of time to improve you weaknesses.
For example soccer, if your very good at shooting with your right foot you further improve that instead of focusing your training to improve your left shooting.

Training things I'm bad at. I spend too much time working on things I'm good at.

Contrary to popular internet opinion this is not the worst thing in the world.

Depending on what it is of course.

Yes in every sport a good coach will make your strengths even stronger and spend only a little amount of time to improve you weaknesses.
For example soccer, if your very good at shooting with your right foot you further improve that instead of focusing your training to improve your left shooting.

Here's an example I always remember from basketball. The Knicks once had a guard named Darrell Walker, and at the time the head coach was Hubie Brown. Evidently Walker was very sensitive about criticism that his left hand was not strong, and he would try to prove critics wrong (and keep the defense honest) by dribbling with his left hand as much as possible. I recall Hubie Brown saying in an interview that he told Walker to just put the ball in his right hand and push it hard upcourt in transition because that was his strength. Let the defense try to take away your strength; don't do it for them.

In sports being too one-dimensional will limit you. But having a diversified game without a go-to weapon is usually worse.

That said, I completely get the point that we often ignore our weaknesses to the point of detriment.

I know what you mean :) and in an abstract way the SF homepage and the forum isn't helping with that. Every day you come here and read a new article or a new thread about the amazing benefits of exercise/program X or the great results some other member got with exercise/program Y. You want to include all of them into your routine.
Btw congrats on finishing your RoP cycle.

Thank you @Kettlebelephant! It's very hard to stick to the program because of all this great material provided by Strongfirst and our community. But I prefer it this way than no choice at all :)

Consistent Mobility work...I don't programme hop but I tend to chase silver bullets with mobility work..

@Steve W., an expression I learned from @Rif (but I don't know if it's his originally or not): train your weaknesses, compete with your strengths. It's one of the reasons I like competing at PL meets or TSC's twice a year - after each competition, 3 months of addressing weaknesses followed by 3 months of meet prep. It's a long-term approach to training that has not gotten old for me.

-S-

Reactions: Rif
Getting coaching. Due to financial resources I have not been able to work with a coach. I think this has limited my training options quite a bit.

@Steve W., an expression I learned from @Rif (but I don't know if it's his originally or not): train your weaknesses, compete with your strengths. It's one of the reasons I like competing at PL meets or TSC's twice a year - after each competition, 3 months of addressing weaknesses followed by 3 months of meet prep. It's a long-term approach to training that has not gotten old for me.

-S-
It is mine but I got the idea from Louie Simmons and this WSB methodology.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom