all posts post new thread

Off-Topic What are your hobbies

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I also play my sons video games when he isn't around in hopes of one day beating. Nothing worse than trash talk from a ten year old. Lol.

That's awesome. I would love to join a scotch club, I love trying new brands. Its so unfortunate that I picked the most expensive alcohol as my favourite (after wine of course)
I agree. That's why I started the club... its a bad feeling to drop $80 on a bottle and hate it... good to share the cost with a bunch of people and if you like it you can go buy a bottle of your own. Been doing it since march and its going well... slowly gaining momentum. The hardest part is getting enough people at the beginning to make it cheap enough to afford.

I am a family man with six kids, from 2-12. I also had been working on a Ph.D. for the last few years. So between those things, I haven't really had any time for hobbies. My Ph.D. was officially awarded last November, so I've started looking at picking up some hobbies again, but only if they don't distract too much from my time with the kids. They trump any hobbies!

Otherwise: Reading, Writing (I have a publishing contract now; I should be published in 2017), and Hiking. I also love Games (Card Games [Poker] and Role-Playing Games in particular) and listening to Music of multiple genres. I haven't done it for years, but I wouldn't mind picking up my drawning/sketching again. It was always fun and relaxing when I did it.

+1 for family uber alles

What field of study is your Ph.D. in?

And what kind of role playing games do you play? If I had more time, I'd love to get back into pen and paper gaming.

+1 for family uber alles

What field of study is your Ph.D. in?

And what kind of role playing games do you play? If I had more time, I'd love to get back into pen and paper gaming.

My Ph.D. is in Scriptures (Old Testament).

I don't play any online RPG's. Pen & Paper for me. I started when I was a kid, so I cut my teeth on D&D and came back to it with 5e. But I've played or at least dabbled in most systems out there.

Political and Theological Podcasts and books, listening/playing music (I'm a big metalhead), fermentating stuff (beer, sauerkraut, yogurt, anything with cultures) and I've recently started to get into Kali (Filipino martial arts).

Ballroom dancing, swing (hustle, Carolina shag, West Coast Swing,...), cooking, reading, internal martial arts, Zen meditation (I'm an ordained Zen lay practicioner), and of course ... kettlebells :)

LOVE swing music, @Jan ! I can't dance to it, but I love it. The Swing Revival of the '90's was my friend!

Reactions: Jan
My Ph.D. is in Scriptures (Old Testament).

I don't play any online RPG's. Pen & Paper for me. I started when I was a kid, so I cut my teeth on D&D and came back to it with 5e. But I've played or at least dabbled in most systems out there.
OT is awesome! Nice choice! That's one heck of an epic adventure! I love the OT!

I only have two hobbies, also having a wife, a teaching career, and 3 kids, also parents and other friends and relatives.

One Hobby: I love reading, including reading in other languages than English. I just recently purchased a whole bunch of "Conan the Barbarian" books, for example. I love English literature. I wish I had more time to read more and more.

The Other Hobby: Other than reading it's weightlifting, which is my replacement for a lifetime of judo, MMA, kendo, fencing etc.

I'm huge into baseball. Played a little in University (NAIA) in Canada, still play senior ball every summer, and coach our province wide all star team. I do different age group (15,16 or 17) every year, its an absolute blast.

Othewise, I love reading, whether its self development (I hate that term), exercise or leadership type stuff. General interest in war, ancient greek/roman warfare or classics on war/strategy like Sun Tzu or Machiavelli. I have started reading more and more philosophical work and in the last 6 months to 1 year have really come to appreciate works on Stoicism and am reading as much as I can get my hands on right now. I find it such practical wisdom and thoughtful thinking based, and has made a big impact on me.

This past January I began training in martial arts, with the intention of trying 2-3 styles and picking my favourite to stick with. Always liked it but never did it as a kid so wanted to give it a shot. Did shotokan karate, found it enjoyable, beneficial and had a great sensei full of wisdom and discipline and a great teacher, but it was just missing something for me. Took the summer to play ball, tried a muay thai class or two and found it really enjoyable as well, but then I tried Brazilian jiu jitsu and I can say 100% after one month of doing it it is by far my favourite discipline. My sensei is fantastic, very technical based, its a small school with small class sizes and the other members are great guys, all respectful and helpful and willing to work with beginners. Definitely will be sticking with this one for a long time.

So with ball season over, my days are get up, read, work, weights on lunch breaks unless its jiu jitsu day, get home, eat, read, jiu jitsu or watch playoff baseball. Doing an online course as a GPA upgrade in prep to apply for my masters in a couple months. Luckily my girlfriend supports all my hobbies and continues to keep me around
If you're interested in going deep, the philosopher considered the culmination of all the streams of ancient thought is "Plotinus" - hard as hell to understand but if you do, super fun! Of course you've already discovered Marcus Aurelius. Plutarch's "Lives" are great and will keep you busy for years if you're into them. He was the official interpreter of the Oracle of Delphi (i.e. the real oracle of Delphi) and was very erudite. Confucius' "Analects" are also super fun, if you know how to appreciate them. His philosophy is based on archery practice.

I agree that BJJ is one of the best things out there - not only practical and safe, but deeper and more fascinating than chess.

@Kozushi ... which Kendo club do you belong to?
Burlington, but I haven't been there for about a year and a half. I just am overwhelmed with the combination of raising three kids and a full time job. That's why I'm a weightlifter now, and I actually think I'm much fitter than previously!

Besides kettlebells, I still play slow-pitch softball, I am in a steel-tip dart league, I play baggo/cornhole regularly, read every day at lunch, and cook.

Beer and whisky. I read a lot. Mostly science fiction and fantasy books. I listen music daily, vinyl records when possible. Heavy metal is my favourite. I play electric bass too, but I'm not in a any band at the moment. I watch movies sometimes, but not tv that much. I have a motorcycle too, but I haven't had a chance to ride it lately.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom