all posts post new thread

Off-Topic What are your hobbies

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm in my last year of law school. Every day I do two things for "me": I get coffee shop time, and I read for pleasure before bed. Those are my biggies.

Music keeps me feeling alive, too. I play drums in church, and instrumental acoustic guitar at home ("fingerstyle" for the high-brows amongst us). I try to practice 15-20 minutes a day. I know that isn't a lot, but it works for me and keeps it fun. About five minutes is spent working on an exercise/warm-up, the rest is working a section. I seem to take two or three months to get a piece ready to perform, but I really love the process.

I also build steel string acoustic guitars as a hobby and usually try to get a few hours a week, but this goes in spurts. Some months I'll get a few hours per week, but some months I don't do anything at all. Again, the low-pressure approach keeps it fun and doable, and I love having a project to think about.

I'm in my last year of law school, and staying balanced is important to me. So many of my friends at school, well, school is all they do. That's not the kind of life for me.

I wish I had your knowledge of the OT! The creation narrative is my favorite passage in scripture. I majored in theology at a mennonite school a decade ago. I only remember bits and pieces from the college experience, but they're the good ones. One day one of my professors contrasted the Genesis creation narrative to the Mesopotamian one, and it was one of life's light bulb moments for me. Other than that, I know Amos, but not much else :)

I wish I had your knowledge of the OT! The creation narrative is my favorite passage in scripture. I majored in theology at a mennonite school a decade ago. I only remember bits and pieces from the college experience, but they're the good ones. One day one of my professors contrasted the Genesis creation narrative to the Mesopotamian one, and it was one of life's light bulb moments for me. Other than that, I know Amos, but not much else :)
Creation is awesome. My dissertation actually focused on how the Image of God actually fits in the narrative and echoes throughout the Scriptures.
Amos is good too!

My favourite part are the books of Samuel - just brilliant epic adventure coupled with realpolitik.

I really enjoy reading US authors writing fantasy or something similar. I've ordered the entire "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan, and I'm reading the Gear couple's "People Series" which utterly fascinates me - America before European exploration (or right at contact) plus magic and wizards! That's just GREAT!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom