all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What are your training dogmas

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I don't know if there are many training ideas, philosophies, or concepts that I've remained dogmatic about over the course of time. Generally, I change my mind about things over time as I learn more but I suppose there are a couple things I fall back to when in doubt about something.
  • You gotta do the work. Effort trumps intelligence.
  • Increase volume before intensity
  • Do what needs to be done. To run fast, run fast; to lift heavy weights, lift heavy weights
What are you dogmatic about regarding training? Have you been through cycles of those changing to revisit things you once thought before?

My prime directive is to train in a way that minimizes the risk of injury or exhaustion. Being put out of commission for four or six weeks is way too big a setback plus no fun.

This doesn’t mean I need to do anything differently than what Strong First and Pavel specify. Only that I need to pay attention to the details and my body.

Edit - just saw the phrase “First do know harm” and realized that classic piece of wisdom encapsulates what I am getting at above.

Last edited:
This is interesting for me to think about how my dogma has changed.

Younger me:
If you aren't going hard, you're wasting your time
Powerful = useful
Train the way you compete: bring the intensity

Current me:
If you are hurting yourself, you're wasting your time
Strong + endurant = useful
Train the way you live: enjoy the challenge. Save the intensity for showtime.

Always:
I train to perform better, not to look good. I just look good naturally. :p
Put yourself to the hazard - risk drives reward
Burgers and beers taste twice as good after training hard

Keep showing up.

This includes:
  • Little and often over the long haul
  • Consistency trumps intensity
  • Your sessions should be repeatable
  • The goal of the game is to keep playing the game (infinite game)
  • You should feel better after a session. It feels good to feel good.
Also, do less things, but do the right things.
Focus on the basics.
Start where you are.
Trust your mentor, follow the instructions. (But listen to your body.)
Choose the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
Know and trust yourself... Keep a log, always be learning, and listen to your body.

But get a coach or at least an outside opinion sometimes... Because you're not always right about what you can or should do.

Well, sometimes the minimum is still a lot of work!

In the past I did multiples of what was needed, something I didn't realize until I started training for and paying attention to the response. After a certain point you're only torching calories and whipping up more cortisol, body can only adapt to so much per dose.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom