all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What breathing pattern should I use between sets in S&S?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

smudge173

Level 2 Valued Member
I understand that slowing your heart rate and relaxing is a goal between sets, so that you can recover more quickly and be ready to start your next set sooner.

I'm looking for a prescriptive "do this for X seconds, that for X seconds" instruction. But I haven't managed to find one from a Strongfirst Forum Google.

I know some breathing patterns like 4-4 (4 in, 4 out), 5-5, 6-6 take in as much oxygen as co2 released. And there's ones like 4-6 which I like to use when I need to relax.

Anybody have any suggestions on a breathing pattern to use between sets?

I presume in through the nose, out through the nose would be best.

I understand that slowing your heart rate and relaxing is a goal between sets, so that you can recover more quickly and be ready to start your next set sooner.

I'm looking for a prescriptive "do this for X seconds, that for X seconds" instruction. But I haven't managed to find one from a Strongfirst Forum Google.

I know some breathing patterns like 4-4 (4 in, 4 out), 5-5, 6-6 take in as much oxygen as co2 released. And there's ones like 4-6 which I like to use when I need to relax.

Yes! Nose belly breathing, as calm as slow as possible does the trick for me.
Mindful practice.

I tried regulated breathing with S&S for a few months but felt that, for me, it took away from the practice. It seemed I was concentrating more on the breathing than the movements. Also, my heart rate recovered more quickly if I just kept things kinda loose and natural.

For me, either in, then out or out, then in seem to work best for me :)

I cannot tell a difference between nasal and mouth breathing when it comes to between sets recovery. Big breaths are more efficient than little ones. Frequency changes to stay just on the outer edge of discomfort due to CO2 accumulation. Breathing is about balancing your body's physiology, not any arbitrary numbers. You will need more ventilation immediately following a set than after you have started toward baseline. So one pattern the whole time likely isn't ideal.

Great answers so far.

When in doubt, breath out. Don't stress about it. Try to exhale fully and try to slow it down, slowly but surely.

In Second Wind Express and the BJJ Fanatics course Pavel teaches emergency breathing techniques that are really helpful.

One thing to try is to add some resistance to your exhalation, breathing out through pursed lips.

I try to take very slow breaths right away after my set. At first, those slow breaths may be through the mouth, but I work on getting back to nasal breathing as quickly as I can. That’s usually different from day to day.

I like to think of my S&S as not only practicing my swings and get ups, but also practicing breathing. So, honestly I never really feel like I’m resting.

Thanks all for your answers.

I think this pretty much answers my question:

Breathing is about balancing your body's physiology, not any arbitrary numbers. You will need more ventilation immediately following a set than after you have started toward baseline. So one pattern the whole time likely isn't ideal.

Whilst also aiming to breathe as slowly and deeply as you can, as your heart rate slows you can breathe slower and deeper.

I have come to view S+S as, first and foremost, a breathing practice.

I do:
Wim Hof breathing pre-workout (to activate)

'Power Breathing' during swings

and so-called 'Darth Vader' breathing during TGU

In between sets, I focus on Recovery Breathing (inhale through nose, and then slow, and lengthen the exhale as much as possible).

I also do this recovery breathing during post-workout stretching practice.

Having the breath as a primary focus* has transformed the practice for me.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

*With perfect technique coming a close second.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom