all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What do kettlebell snatches do?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Doug B.

Level 1 Valued Member
I just figured out how to do kettlebell snatches with my 60lb kettlebell without destroying my forearms. I like the way the movement feels and I want to do it frequently.

I'm wondering what kb snatches will do as far as hypertrophy around my shoulders and as far as improving the power I'm able to generate in running and jumping. A year or two ago I did nothing but olympic snatches with 135-155lbs in a Justa singles routine for one lift. I gained some mass around my shoulders, but what I think is most remarkable is how much the snatch improved my 40 yard dash, I think because I had built a decent base of slow strength in the squat in the year prior and the snatch for a month taught my CNS to activate some of my base of strength quickly.

I'm just curious what will happen if I do kb snatches frequently.

I'm having trouble firing my glutes when I kb snatch. The movement feels faster than a swing so I think it's harder for me to get a good glute contraction in and when I can get a noticable glute contraction it's not both sides it's the opposite glute the kettlebell is in.

Any chance for a video of your swing and snatch?

Sounds like (if you are having trouble finding your glutes in your snatch) your snatch is too much "squat" instead of hip hinge

The hip action of the snatch is the same as the swing

It's definitely squattier than my swing. I bend my knees a lot, but I squat my deadlifts in the negative to protect my back so I have ingrained that movement pattern.

I feel way more comfortable doing kb snatches with my right hand-dominant hand and foot.

Reggie
Watch the video from the side again and look at how far away from you the kettlebell is - even at lockout it is in front of your head almost.

On the way up and on the way down try to keep the KB as close to you as possible on a nearly straight arm

Keep the arm against your ribs until the hips blast it off on the way up and wait for the arm to reconnect to the ribs on the way down before hinging at the hips

Don't lose the hip hinge and try the advice above

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom