all posts post new thread

Nutrition What do you eat post training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abdul-Rasheed

Level 6 Valued Member
I have been blending a cup of kefir, 20g of Pulsin protein powder, some berries and leafy greens within one hour or so after my training. I do that because someone knowledgeable asked me to do it.

What do you do? And if the question makes sense, why?

I usually blend up a smoothie of 1 scoop of whatever protein powder I happen to have (it's soy protein isolate at the moment but I've been known to use pea and rice), a banana, 1/2 cup of oats, some ice cubes, either some ground flaxseeds or mixed seeds for Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and enough water to bring the overall volume to around 1 pint (a smidgen under 20oz).

If I have any, I might throw in some kale or spinach as it doesn't seem to affect the flavour much and it's important to eat your greens.

I have it because it's quicker than making a bowl of oatmeal and it's the easiest way for me to get protein into my breakfasts without compromising my non-animal diet. I have no idea if the added protein is necessary; to me it's more of a dietary 'insurance policy'.

My standard post training meal is whey and grounded oats mixed with water. After a particularly heavy session, I have a double dose. I used to try to take it after every training session, but since I started drinking whole milk instead of water during training, if the training session is light I often just skip the post training drink and eat as usual.

Strength Days: Oatmeal & Eggs or Greens/Fruit Protein Smoothie
I understand the body is receptive to protein for about 30-60min after training. I also understand that carbohydrates help deliver it.

LSD Cardio Days: Eggs (protein shake if I'm not at home)

If the volume is high I will take BCAAs and creatine right before training so I don't get so beat up and therefore recover faster and mitigate risks of not being recovered before my next training session. Obviously, the alternative is to train more frequently with less volume but I have some objectives that don't always align to that.

I typically eat nothing for at least an hour after training. After training (if you keep it under an hour) we get an elevation in levels of HGH an eating anything will basically stop it dead. If I was into "bulking and cutting" like a bodybuilder I'd probably feel the need to eat something but that seems extreme to me.

So I wait an hour or more before I eat anything that will dampen the HGH response. I normally start to prepare my meal at the 1 hour mark and eat it when it's ready. By that time I'm truly hungry and I can digest the food much better too, if I too soon eat I just get gassy and bloated

I go for a 4 or 5 egg omelette or just a handful of sunflower or pumpkin with a few spoons of yogurt if I'm in a rush and that carries me over to my main meal at night.

I drink a smoothie with fruits and vegetables. It varies, but a typical example is 3 oranges, 1 banana and a lot of spinach. Maybe some seeds in there too

I call it the Garbage Can Shake. I throw whatever is on hand in the Vitamix. The Vitamix is pricey but if you want a rock and nail shake it's the tool for the job.

Whole milk, eggs, whey, hemp hearts, coconut oil, olive oil, spinach, fruit, berries. Any fruit, vegetable, berry, or greens that are on sale or about to go bad goes in the freezer for shakes.

It makes three servings and I will have one when I wake up and one post workout. I will take it with vitamin D, fish oil, B12, Iron, Creatine, and/or probiotic.

I will eat a full meal about an hour later.

I'll have to add to the earlier post that I find it impossible to eat solid food right after a heavy training session. But I can drink something. It can take a long time for the appetite to return but it can be ravenous then.

I typically eat only twice a day so my post training meal is dinner. Steak, veggies and a few potatoes typically. I always use butter when I cook.

I understand the body is receptive to protein for about 30-60min after training. I also understand that carbohydrates help deliver it.
Thanks for sharing this, I did not know that. So its good to eat some protein and carbs within 60 mins of the training.

I drink a smoothie with fruits and vegetables. It varies, but a typical example is 3 oranges, 1 banana and a lot of spinach. Maybe some seeds in there too
:eek: Would you EAT that after workout? Smoothies are the hell if they contain (that many) fruits!

:eek: Would you EAT that after workout? Smoothies are the hell if they contain (that many) fruits!
I´ve eaten as much as 9 oranges, 4 bananas and a ton of spinach in one smoothie, 3 oranges and a banana is more of an appertizer to me!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom