all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What do you suggest for a military fitness Test?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The best solution is a two tier system. The first testing system should be aimed at health and injury prevention. This is for everybody. The second tier is occupational specific and would be for certain communities only.
What attributes fall into each tier?

Air Force PFT
1.5mi Run
1min Push-ups
1min crunch/sit-up

Yeah this is the one I was subject to for most of my years in, too. There were some really goofy years in the '90s where the AF implemented a cycle ergometry test... Don't even get me started about that one.

The problem for most people with the minimum type test (and yes people still have trouble passing it - they make up some of my personal training clients now) is that they don't know how to train for it, or really what the objective is. Think about the message of a test. "The military wants me to be able to do X, Y, Z. Therefore I train X, Y, and Z as they are tested." Ideal? No, not at all. The AF members go out and run a mile and a half as fast as they can time after time, or do a max set of push ups or sit ups, and that's their "training." It doesn't get them to the real goal, which is a basic standard of health and fitness.

Not to mention this -- a test sends a message: "Being able to do X, Y, and Z is important to being able to do my job in the military. It must be, because I'm tested on it." When this doesn't make sense to people (as would probably be the case with a crawling test), all sorts of ridiclue and disparagement runs rampant within the ranks.

@mprevost makes a great point about logistics. When you have to conduct several thousand tests per week as they do at basic training, and then to a lesser degree, everywhere else at least once per year for all members, it's a huge consideration.

The other important aspect is objectivity. You have to be able to train the testers in all locations and units to objectively evaluate whether someone has passed the test. Lots of possible tests can be elminated due to too much subjectivity.

As for ideas for the actual tests themselves, I don't have too much input... lots of good ideas above, but if the were all put through the reality wringer the end results might be the tests that already exist. I do like the idea of the two-tier system though, and that's pretty much what exists in the Air Force now, with the vast majority getting the basic test, and the battlefield airmen (special ops career fields) getting much tougher tests that include swimming, longer runs, etc.

I disagree with comments to change the fitness tests.

The current tests are designed for all members within that service to complete from desk-bound to SF operator.

Crucially the tests have to be easy to implement for all personnel regardless of location in the world with little or no equipment, easily measurable and easy to assess with standardised points of performance.

I think they work well in that regard.

However, I think that we all accept that training to be the best human being, Soldier, Marine, Airman etc. requires training way broader beyond the scope of run, push up, sit up.

This is what I would do if I had to hire my own personal army:

1. Deadlift 100 kg for reps
2. Pull ups for reps.
3. Carry a 35 kg sand bag for 3 km any way you want. for time.

Pull ups test relative strength. deadlift tests absolute strength. The carry tests mental fortitude and conditioning.

The exact figures of weight and distance would have to be adjusted after a few tests as required.

Does tier 1 only need heart attack avoiding body composition? Does tier 2 need aerobic capacity, overhead pressing strength, from the ground pulling strength, abdominal endurance, etc.

What features of athleticism are necessary for the two tiers?

If my memory serves my right, this is the Danish combat fitness test:

3km run ( I believe the infantry standard is sub 12:30 or 13:00min)

Later:
10min shuttle test (30seconds run/30seconds rest)
10min rest
Lunges 50kg in 2min
2min rest
Pullups @10kg, then
Dips @10kg, then
Deadlift 100kg , then
Plank @20kg (120sek)

Repetition requirements are dependent on the different jobs :
20-40 for the lunge, 4-8reps on the lifts. There is also options without weight for some rear echelon jobs.

For a combat soldier I would argue that the single best test would be a 3km/2mile run in full personal combat load (ammunition in pouches), ideally ending on a shooting range, immediately starting a shooting test. The shooting should be fairly easy, but consisting of barricades and different stations/shooting positions.
Even without the shooting test I believe this is the most relevant test for a a combat (infantry) soldier.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom