all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What exercises pair well with Soju and Tuba?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tirofijo

Level 6 Valued Member
I may give Soju and Tuba a run since I have the right bell for it.

I’m coming off of Kettlebell Strong which didn’t leave much energy for anything else. A few front squats here and there and some low intensity MAF runs.

I have a fairly wide range of kettlebells. I don’t have a barbell.

Is this a good time to delve into A+A snatches? Add parts of Q&D? (I’m pretty ignorant about Q&D).

I’m hinking I need to get back to doing pull ups. I’ll do loaded carries because I’m a fan. Some double kettlebell front squats as well would be prudent.

However, increasing pressing strength is still the main goal. But it will be nice to do a low volume pressing program that leaves room for other movements.

Let me know your ideas!

thank you.

Hello,

I would say all kind of pull motions (swings, snatches, cleans, pull ups)

As S&T is not based on volume, even if recovery is important, this is less of an issue.

S&S pairs super well with S&T as already suggested.

Kind regards,

Pet'

You could superset your presses with rows/pullups/chinups and still propably do s&s or q&d snatch plan twice a week.

Has anyone tried the Soju and tuba program with doubles? Just wondered if it still works as well.

Has anyone tried the Soju and tuba program with doubles? Just wondered if it still works as well.

Did it and yes it works. If I would repeat it again, I would definitely repeat the doubles block for another cycle before going to triples to ensure I really own the weight and get more benefits than risk

Did it and yes it works. If I would repeat it again, I would definitely repeat the doubles block for another cycle before going to triples to ensure I really own the weight and get more benefits than risk

I'm confused, doubles means double kettlebells, right? So what does triples mean? How do you press 3 kettlebells at once ?

I'm confused, doubles means double kettlebells, right? So what does triples mean? How do you press 3 kettlebells at once ?

Remember the second block of s and t has you working with two rep sets.

In lifting lingo:

Doubles mean sets of 2 reps
Triples mean sets of 3 reps

I'm sorry for the confusion, I was asking about doing the program with double kettlebells. 1 kettlebell in each hand.

As was already suggested - Press + Pull is a way to go. Personally Did S&T with 28 and after the cycle pressed 36 (L, R) for a new 1RM. Enjoyed it much more than ROP (which i think has lot of volume for average joe/jane). You can definitely do swings and easy to moderate heavy Get Ups after S&T or on off days. S&T leaves you fresh and ready, unlike ROP.

Speaking to OP @Tirofijo I would personally do S&T as prescribed with just swings and easy get ups. On alternate/variety/off day or however we call it I recommend "getting to know heavier bells." So let's say your press weight is 28. Therefore on these days you would do cleans, loaded cleans, front squats, rack walks, suitcase walks with bells heavier than you are pressing, i. e. 32 or 36. This way your body gets used to the feeling of heavier weight in the rack position. The press itself will be then easier. In my experience as a s&c coach (and i admit it's not more than 3 years) people fail PR attempts in press because they "get scared of the weight and rush the rep" - they are not comfortable with the bell in rack. Adding front squats, cleans etc. with heavier bell than you are pressing sometimes resolves this "problem".

As for doing S&T with double bell. Think it's doable. However Instead of doing S&T with two bells I recommend doing any pressing program by @Geoff Neupert for double bell.

Hope this helps.

As was already suggested - Press + Pull is a way to go. Personally Did S&T with 28 and after the cycle pressed 36 (L, R) for a new 1RM. Enjoyed it much more than ROP (which i think has lot of volume for average joe/jane). You can definitely do swings and easy to moderate heavy Get Ups after S&T or on off days. S&T leaves you fresh and ready, unlike ROP.

Speaking to OP @Tirofijo I would personally do S&T as prescribed with just swings and easy get ups. On alternate/variety/off day or however we call it I recommend "getting to know heavier bells." So let's say your press weight is 28. Therefore on these days you would do cleans, loaded cleans, front squats, rack walks, suitcase walks with bells heavier than you are pressing, i. e. 32 or 36. This way your body gets used to the feeling of heavier weight in the rack position. The press itself will be then easier. In my experience as a s&c coach (and i admit it's not more than 3 years) people fail PR attempts in press because they "get scared of the weight and rush the rep" - they are not comfortable with the bell in rack. Adding front squats, cleans etc. with heavier bell than you are pressing sometimes resolves this "problem".

Thank to everyone for those suggestions. I'll definitely pair it with pullups. I like the suggestion to 'get to know heavier bells" as I know that feeling of rushing the weight because my rack isn't strong enough. I've got a 32kg that I can clean (and press) fine but it feels heavy. Lots of time with it in the rack doing walks and squats would be a help. I've also got a 40 that I can only clean very sloppily the last time I tried.

I'm deloading this week but will test my press in a few days. I will likely do S&T with a 28 or 30 (the 28kg with a 5lb weight taped to the bottom.)

I'm intrigued by the 2 day Q&D snatch plan, if only because I haven't snatched much lately and want to see for myself if the hype of Q&D is real. I bought the book last night but haven't made it to the actual plans yet.

So...here's what I'm thinking right now.

S&T 3x week with pullups (the main effort), plus squats, one leg deadlifts, rack walks as energy/recovery allows. (the secondary effort. Just nudge these up. Not beat myself up doing them.)

Q&D Snatches 2x week on off days. (Depending on what I read in the book. I understand it might be appropriate.)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming.

Q&D is kinda taxing to add onto a program like S&T... I think S&S or just A+A snatches imo would be better... the A+A allows a tad more flexibility in recovery periods than Q&D

Q&D is kinda taxing to add onto a program like S&T... I think S&S or just A+A snatches imo would be better... the A+A allows a tad more flexibility in recovery periods than Q&D

Good to know. My ‘conditioning’ has probably taken a hit while doing KB Strong - as that’s about all I did - so A+A snatches would be beneficial as well. I posted a question on the Q&D megathread trying time get more info on how to combine programming.
Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom