all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What had the biggest impact in 2015?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marlon Leon

Level 3 Valued Member
I am curious what lesson, movement, program or diet had the biggest impact on you in 2015?

When I read "Natural Born Heroes" I came across a quote by Georges Hebert, who defined fitness a hundred years ago like this: "To be fit means to be useful."

The second part of that definition hit me. Fitness is usually defined as a certain physical ability and often a certain appearance. Anyway training is usually seen as something that one does for himself. Most goals are selfish goals.

When reading the definition from above it made me change my whole view of training and what I find valuable. Only now I understood what Dan John ment when he spoke about that a goal should allow you to spiral out.

What made you rethink your values or see things differently?

For me it was going ALL IN with Original Strength. I played with it since 2013 but in late 2014/early 2015 I went all in. It improved everything else I did- Kettlebell,Karate,Stamina,Etc. I even got to an OS certification to become a coach. That is how much it impacted me. Early 2016 I finally get to to my SFG! :D

2 things, sticking with S&S for almost a year, made me much stronger and a lot more endurance, and then actually taking the step of getting a coach (Al Ciampa, from here), that made a huge impact

@Steve Freides I thought there you wanted to know which lessons coming from strongfirst were the most valuable. Hence I made this thread to ask a bit more general.

@MikeMoran For me it was similar in terms of importance of OS. The aforementioned Georges Hebert wasn't a fan of exercise but asked whether a person could run, climb or swim to help another person. And I think OS is a great entry point to become proficient in all those human movement skills, especially those where you move forward and not just up and down.
I still love strength training in general and weightlifting in particular, but the order of importance has changed.

the short answer: patience, rest and double kettlebell clean & press.

selfish? ... maybe, but my objectives to improve myself are a benefit to so much more than just me, as practicing my training puts me in a better position to give quality time, for a long time, to my family and my community, and without good health that quality to give would fade much faster.

at the beginning of 2015 i was testing the possibility of adding 1 of 3 exercises to my S&S training; weighted carries, crawls or double kettlebell clean & press. After about 6 weeks of practice, with each, Dbl kb c&ps won out and i couldnt be happier with the addition of this exercise into my program. The addition of c&ps and moving up another weight level in S&S also demanded that i rest more. this was a difficult move, as i really enjoyed S&S as a daily practice, but i've been doing a much better job of listening to my body the past few months. ive also settled into a very patient yet consistent drive toward my objective, made two and a half years ago, to be able to practice 5 TGUs per side with the 48. at the time i made the goal i didnt think it would take more than 6 months to get there, but as a 50 year old with a desk job, which requires 13 hours door to door including commute and a beautiful family which deserves much more time than i give them, plus other obligations i choose to pursue, the goal has taken much longer than expected, but i have learned so much along the way that would never have sunk in if i had rushed toward the end result. in fact i feel that the goal is very attainable right now, but i have learned that attaining my goal means much much more than being able to possibly struggle through it, so i move slowly and deliberately towards getting my mind and body fully prepared and that takes more time and it happens to be time i truly enjoy.

Turkish Get Up. This excercise changed the way i control my body. I've started with 16 kg KB in february and ended up with 44 kg in november (BW: 83 kg). and it helped me to achieve new PR's in military press and improved my mobility.

Biggest impact? Might be Naked Warrior even though I only started with it somewhere in december ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom