all posts post new thread

Nutrition What has been your experience transitioning to whole plant based nutrition plan?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ryan T

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Haven't posted anything in forever, but I thought I try to glean some general experience from the community. A little about me: At my best, I can nail S&S Simple swing standard at 32kg and 24kg on the TGUs, but I've had a 1RM of 32kg on TGU. Max press is double 24kg for a couple reps but I can't put up a 28kg at all. I've hit 100 snatches with a 20kg in 4:45. 5'9" @170 lbs w 21% BF and 40 years old. High meat and fat, some veggies, little fruit or grains.

Over the course of 2018, I'm considering transitioning to a whole plant based diet (as advocated in Forks Over Knives, Engine 2, and similar to Dr. Joel Furman's Nutrarian diet) which is generally ~70/15/15% carbs, protein, and fat. It's high on whole grains, legumes and starches with vegetables and no oils; fats that are consumed are intact with their original food source. Very little saturated fat.

Has anyone made a transition like this and if so what did you experience as far as strength, endurance (strength over time), body composition, muscular loss/gain, blood work, sense of well-being etc..? I haven't seen too much online about this from a strength perspective, however I read some of Mike Mahler's nutrition recs which is more of a 40/30/30 approach. I've done some searching on this in the forum and seen some info, but I thought it would be easier to start a thread on it to keep the conversation in line.

I'm not trying to get into the "which diet is superior or ethical etc..." discussion. Just interested in actual experiences.

Thanks.

I've watched Dr. Furman's pbs specials over the years, and eating for nutrition and many of his principles make a lot of sense. I eat pretty consistently with his original 'nutritarian' concept, before he made the turn away from meat and oils. I've been raised believing that olive oil is great for us, and I love it, so I wouldn't give that up! I also like meat and eggs too much, but I do agree with limiting meat to a smaller portion, and trying to source lean meat not raised by industrial techniques. I like the whole plant concept and it's a great source of nutrients without empty calories, but I don't personally see it as an either/or thing.

Haven't posted anything in forever, but I thought I try to glean some general experience from the community. A little about me: At my best, I can nail S&S Simple swing standard at 32kg and 24kg on the TGUs, but I've had a 1RM of 32kg on TGU. Max press is double 24kg for a couple reps but I can't put up a 28kg at all. I've hit 100 snatches with a 20kg in 4:45. 5'9" @170 lbs w 21% BF and 40 years old. High meat and fat, some veggies, little fruit or grains.

Over the course of 2018, I'm considering transitioning to a whole plant based diet (as advocated in Forks Over Knives, Engine 2, and similar to Dr. Joel Furman's Nutrarian diet) which is generally ~70/15/15% carbs, protein, and fat. It's high on whole grains, legumes and starches with vegetables and no oils; fats that are consumed are intact with their original food source. Very little saturated fat.

Has anyone made a transition like this and if so what did you experience as far as strength, endurance (strength over time), body composition, muscular loss/gain, blood work, sense of well-being etc..? I haven't seen too much online about this from a strength perspective, however I read some of Mike Mahler's nutrition recs which is more of a 40/30/30 approach. I've done some searching on this in the forum and seen some info, but I thought it would be easier to start a thread on it to keep the conversation in line.

I'm not trying to get into the "which diet is superior or ethical etc..." discussion. Just interested in actual experiences.

Thanks.
I would like to give my opinion on that, just a few questios:
Plant based meaning vegetarian or vegan?
Could be more specific reagrding the fat and protein sources?

Has anyone made a transition like this and if so what did you experience as far as strength, endurance (strength over time), body composition, muscular loss/gain, blood work, sense of well-being etc..?

I was a strict raw vegan for about 2 years (meaning I only ate ra fruins and veggies). I'm still mostly raw vegan/vegan, but not strict anymore.

I just did a blood work and all good. Energy is a bit better, specially I dont get sleepy after lunch. Nothing very significant though. I lost about 10 kg and returned close to my highschool weight, that was good since I always struggled with weight. Everything else is more or less equal, no differences in strength, performance, muscle or body composition.

@elli Plant based meaning vegan (with b12 supplementation). I probably wouldn't be completely rigid in that I may have some chicken 1-2x per week. It would be a gradual transition. Protein sources are mainly red meat, pork, and some chicken. Fats outside of the meat would be butter, olive and coconut oil with some nut consumption as well.

@elli Plant based meaning vegan (with b12 supplementation). I probably wouldn't be completely rigid in that I may have some chicken 1-2x per week. It would be a gradual transition. Protein sources are mainly red meat, pork, and some chicken. Fats outside of the meat would be butter, olive and coconut oil with some nut consumption as well.
I am a vegetarian for over 25 years now (with a 6months break). So veggies are my base! Fruits not so much, legumes only as hummus every few weeks.
Here are my thoughts to your post.
I do worry about omega3 fatty acids (in general and relation to Omega6).
Taking greater amounts of B12 gave me really bad skin (genetic disposition as I have researched, not a must).
How about Vit D? Depending on where you live.
I miss eggs in your plan because they make a good protein combination (->amino acids!) with grains. I would prefer them over meat, especially red meat.
Regarding macros: I am a 'higher carb' person and do better with more carbs* and less fat**. I try to have about 2 lower carb-higher protein days/week.
Macro timing could also be sth you should take into account!
*My main source are oats, sometimes bread and potatoes.
**From flaxseed oil (1tbs/day), sometimes coconut oil,ghee for cooking, nuts almost none - I tend to have too many. If nuts then walnuts. No other oils.
Hope that helped?

Thanks @elli! Perhaps a multivitamin and some Omega 3 supplementation would be good to go along with this nutrition plan. The Forks Over Knives plan includes flax, hemp, and chia seeds as well as some limited amounts of almonds and walnuts and other seeds like pumpkin etc... Carbs tend to be somewhat similar to what you mentioned with quinoa, starchy tubers, whole grains, lentils, and fibrous veggies being a large staple of the diet as well. Protein is simply whatever protein exists in all these foods. I do love my eggs though.

From a body comp, strength, endurance standpoint, does a vegetarian diet work well for you?

Thanks @elli! Perhaps a multivitamin and some Omega 3 supplementation would be good to go along with this nutrition plan. The Forks Over Knives plan includes flax, hemp, and chia seeds as well as some limited amounts of almonds and walnuts and other seeds like pumpkin etc... Carbs tend to be somewhat similar to what you mentioned with quinoa, starchy tubers, whole grains, lentils, and fibrous veggies being a large staple of the diet as well. Protein is simply whatever protein exists in all these foods. I do love my eggs though.

From a body comp, strength, endurance standpoint, does a vegetarian diet work well for you?
Yes, it does. Upping carbs has led to some weight loss and I feel more powerful and satisfied with more carbs. Body comp is good for my age and height. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom