all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What if I'm below average?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AndyGog

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi

I'm just getting started with S&S, having got myself 16kg and 24kg kettlebells, as recommended for an 'average gentleman'. I can swing the 24, but I wouldn't say comfortably, and I can barely get started doing TGUs with the 16. I've tried TGUs with a 12kg, which I can do even if they're a bit wobbly.

I guess, I'm a below average gentleman at the moment. I'm 46 years old, 5'10" and 80kg at about 23% bf.

So, do I persevere with the 16 and 24kg bells or use the 16 for swings and a 12kg for TGUs?

Does it matter? My feeling is to use the smaller bells to get started and work through the progression from there.

Got to say I'm feeling a bit demotivated at the moment. I knew I was starting from being very weak but I had no idea it was this bad!

Thanks in advance.

Keep at it!

I started with 16kg (the TGU felt like a million pounds) but was at 32kg for swings and getups within just a few months.

The only average that should matter is your own progress.

Load doesn't matter. Standards don't matter either. The only thing that matters is progress.

Are you able to do a decent TGU with no load at all? If so, you are WAY ahead of most people.

If, after a few weeks, now you can do a decent TGU using a two-kilo bell, that's progress. Period.

Don't be in a hurry. Just show up, do the work and progress will be made eventually.

Being able to enjoy the process (as opposed to be a goal-only oriented person) is a huge advantage.

I like to start a new bell size with clean & jerk to get it overhead and then the get down portion. Doesn't take too long to acclimate from there.

Don't sweat it. If you're new to kettlebells, it's totally understandable. My recommendation would be to spend a few sessions dedicated to establishing your movement patterns before you start loading them up.
TGU's with shoe
deadlift and 2 hand swings with 16kg.

Get these down before progressing with more weight

It's like that joke about 70% of all drivers claim to be above average at driving.
Someone has to be below average otherwise the average goes up even higher. :rolleyes:
Don't sweat it (but sweat in the gym). I always make a fool of myself the first time I try something new so I have to go back, think about it and break down all the variables and try and try again. Be it bowling, a new video game, boxing, dating(!), making sushi or building houses...
Being "a natural" at something just means they get a few months head start. But since they don't have to work for it they usually quit once it gets tough while the guy who has struggled since day one just struggles through it and goes further.

Good luck! (y)

I'm just getting started with S&S
[...]
I've tried TGUs with a 12kg, which I can do even if they're a bit wobbly.
Hi and congratulations on starting S&S.
What you wrote triggers a question: have you followed the initial progression?
step by step getup --> full unloaded getup --> full getup with a shoe --> getup with the kettlebell
Same for the swing.
Hip hinge --> deadlift --> 2H-swings

@AndyGog
Good advice given thus far.
I would hasten to add... consider working with an SFG or take the one day KB course. Technique can play a big role in progress. And you don't want to be held back because of poor technique, especially when often times it can be so easily corrected.

It might just be the thing to get you jump started...

Wow, thanks for all the responses. Feeling very blessed to have this much good advice.

I've been on the one day barbell course, so I've had instruction on deadlifts and goblet squats that I'm trying to apply to the swing and the goblet squat warm up. I've also been filming my workouts, including warming up from get ups with a shoe, to an 8kg bell, 12kg and then 16kg. My technique breaks down completely when I get to the 16kg bell. Obviously, it's not perfect with the 12kg but its enough that I can work on my form with the 12 and then progress to the 16.

With the 24kg swing I can see my chest collapsing on the back swing. So I'd prefer to work on that with the 16 and then progress to one handed swings with the 16kg and then on to the 24kg.

Its going to be quite a journey, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again everyone.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. Feeling very blessed to have this much good advice.

I've been on the one day barbell course, so I've had instruction on deadlifts and goblet squats that I'm trying to apply to the swing and the goblet squat warm up. I've also been filming my workouts, including warming up from get ups with a shoe, to an 8kg bell, 12kg and then 16kg. My technique breaks down completely when I get to the 16kg bell. Obviously, it's not perfect with the 12kg but its enough that I can work on my form with the 12 and then progress to the 16.

With the 24kg swing I can see my chest collapsing on the back swing. So I'd prefer to work on that with the 16 and then progress to one handed swings with the 16kg and then on to the 24kg.

Its going to be quite a journey, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again everyone.
If you already are video recording, you might also want to consider posting here. Many people do, and they get sound advice from some of the more accomplished people.

A version of that table appears in Enter the Kettlebell as well. It also includes the admonition, “Err on the lighter side when ordering your kettlebells.” (p. 3) It looks like you have the right plan.

If you already are video recording, you might also want to consider posting here. Many people do, and they get sound advice from some of the more accomplished people.
That's not a bad idea, although its hard enough watching myself without exposing it to others. If I feel like I'm stalling though, I'll definitely post some here.

S&S is not the only and not the best way to get stronger. I would advice to start doing other stuff first. Choose 5 - 7 exercises with kettlebells and do couple of sets three times a week.

Say,

Front or goblet squat
Press or push press
Clean
Windmill
Swings for 5 - 10 reps
Kb pullovers
Kb rows

Choose if 16 or 24 kg feels right and do sets of 5 - 10 reps. Add a set when you feel like it. This way you will get more rounded workout than TGU and swing alone. Then you can get to S&S.

There are literally hundreds of kb workouts on YouTube, look around.

More is not better. Nor worse. It is more.
The beginning of S&S is not yet training, it is practice of the movement. You are on the right track.
Stay with less movements, get feedback on your technique, and in just a couple of weeks, you may be able to up the weight.
Safely.

S&S is not the only and not the best way to get stronger. I would advice to start doing other stuff first. Choose 5 - 7 exercises with kettlebells and do couple of sets three times a week.

Say,

Front or goblet squat
Press or push press
Clean
Windmill
Swings for 5 - 10 reps
Kb pullovers
Kb rows

Choose if 16 or 24 kg feels right and do sets of 5 - 10 reps. Add a set when you feel like it. This way you will get more rounded workout than TGU and swing alone. Then you can get to S&S.

There are literally hundreds of kb workouts on YouTube, look around.
This definitely sounds funner, but probably not the best path to learning the few, important principals for hard style kettlebell training.

my first kettlebell was a 12kg, and I could swing the 16kg for simple and sinister and I progressed to simple standard in about a year (would have been faster but I got distracted by this and that...) Its about starting and not were you start! I'm sure you'll progress pretty quick!

It's not where you are, it's where you're going.

Knowing what I know now, If my 12kg getup was wobbly I'd be using a shoe balanced on my fist until I was executing each step crisply and with an exaggerated pause. Every rep is practice and good practice cultivates mindfulness. Wobbly practice cultivates wobbly form.

Same with the swing: crisp, hard, and precise! Get to where you are throwing the 16kg with a hard hipsnap!!

The BIG difference between the elite and the rest of us is that the elite are better at the basics. Hammer the basics over and over and over and over. Before you start doing other movements, I'd truly own the swing and getup. Not only will you be stronger, you will have the discipline to approach each new movement with 100% focus.

Be careful about YouTube. There are plenty of idiots who don't know what they are doing and have ZERO business posting. I'd definitely stick with Strongfirst videos, Dan John, and other reputable trainers who have earned their accolades from producing results.

Like most strength training, this is definitely a "tortoise and hare" endeavor. Slow and steady wins this race.

Load doesn't matter. Standards don't matter either. The only thing that matters is progress.

Are you able to do a decent TGU with no load at all? If so, you are WAY ahead of most people.

If, after a few weeks, now you can do a decent TGU using a two-kilo bell, that's progress. Period.

Don't be in a hurry. Just show up, do the work and progress will be made eventually.

Being able to enjoy the process (as opposed to be a goal-only oriented person) is a huge advantage.

It's not where you are, it's where you're going.

Knowing what I know now, If my 12kg getup was wobbly I'd be using a shoe balanced on my fist until I was executing each step crisply and with an exaggerated pause. Every rep is practice and good practice cultivates mindfulness. Wobbly practice cultivates wobbly form.

Same with the swing: crisp, hard, and precise! Get to where you are throwing the 16kg with a hard hipsnap!!

The BIG difference between the elite and the rest of us is that the elite are better at the basics. Hammer the basics over and over and over and over. Before you start doing other movements, I'd truly own the swing and getup. Not only will you be stronger, you will have the discipline to approach each new movement with 100% focus.

Be careful about YouTube. There are plenty of idiots who don't know what they are doing and have ZERO business posting. I'd definitely stick with Strongfirst videos, Dan John, and other reputable trainers who have earned their accolades from producing results.

Like most strength training, this is definitely a "tortoise and hare" endeavor. Slow and steady wins this race.
@AndyGog absolute gold right here my friend.
S&S is not about the weight you use, it’s about how it makes you feel.
I made the mistake of thinking I was below average & worked hard to catch up. The results were multiple niggly injuries & set backs followed by catch ups again.
Eventually something clicked & I concentrated on how each workout made me feel, focused on perfect form & completely ignored weight progression. The results were amazing, zero injuries, no set backs & I got stronger much quicker than when I was pushing & forcing progression.
Enjoy the movements ignore the weight. Progression will then happen without effort. You’ll know when, trust yourself .

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom