all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What is a good push-press program ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
On my journey to military press the 36 kilo, I have gotten a bit tired of only training the military press, and hearing that some of you have had success by using the push press to increase your press, I have myself started this.

I am currently working my way up to 24 kilo 10 reps * 5 set on each side. My max in push press is 40 kilo one time each side.

But does anyone have a good program for push press ?

In addition I was wondering what is a good achievement for push press ? 40 kilos 10 reps * 5 set on each side ?

All answers would be appreciated.

For myself, if training as a separate movement I prefer the jerk to the push press.

I use the PP to extend my overhead press just as I might use a drop set. Once I can no longer get another rep with good form I'll apply just enough "push" to get the bell moving, lock it out and concentrate on the eccentric back down.

I find it to be great exercise on several levels as the amount of push becomes dynamic based on fatigue, so is a whole body movement you can learn to vary it in what feels like very subtle, controlled amounts.

Edit to add:
I don't consider myself to be very strong overall, at 80 kg bodyweight I can hit a 32 for about 5-6 clean overhead press and another 4 with a push.

I think there is a good push press program in Dynami but I don't have my copy with me right now. There is definitely good instruction on the push press (in addition to the squat, kettlebell deadlift, and swing) within this product.

On my journey to military press the 36 kilo, I have gotten a bit tired of only training the military press, and hearing that some of you have had success by using the push press to increase your press, I have myself started this.

I am currently working my way up to 24 kilo 10 reps * 5 set on each side. My max in push press is 40 kilo one time each side.

But does anyone have a good program for push press ?

In addition I was wondering what is a good achievement for push press ? 40 kilos 10 reps * 5 set on each side ?

All answers would be appreciated.
Perhaps try ladders up to 5 rungs with a 'bell you can push press for 5-8 reps. Looks like you are doing 50 reps per side with 24kilo now. If you can achieve 5 reps with 32kilo (assuming you can, if able to do 1RM with 40kilo), perhaps 3-5 ladders with rungs up to 5 reps will help you accumulate volume at the higher weight. 5 ladders of 5 rungs each is 75 reps (per arm), for example - all at a higher weight than 10 x 5/5 with 24 kilo.

For carry over to strict presses, Pavel has advocated what he calls the "long push press." Rack the bell, do a full front squat, and initiate the press just after your knees and hips lock out (don't noticeably pause before press, but don't start pressing before the knees and hips lock out).

It's subtly different from a thruster, since it isn't really ballistic. The press is still basically a strict press since you finish the leg and hip extension just before you start pressing. But some momentum from the squat still carries over to the bell and make the press a little easier.

I think carry over from regular push presses to strict presses varies a lot by individual. IMO, the main effect is getting comfortable with a heavier weight in the rack and overhead -- more of a disinhibiting effect than an actual strength-building one, if that's a valid distinction. But it gives assistance where a lot of people are weak in their strict press instead of building strength in that range, so many people do not get significant carry over.

You can do Push Press with Kettlebell Strong or use RMF both by Geoff Neupert.

I'm doing the latter at the moment with push presses, very effective program but it is a double kb program as written. My working weights are a lot lighter than the OP though.

@Anders, I'd rather see you do 10 sets of 5 than 5 sets of 10. Shorten the rests if you wish. You'll be able to use more weight this way.

-S-

Hello,

@Anders
10 sets of 5, as @Steve Freides said is a very good idea. That way, you can even do something like 5L /5R based on an EMOM protocol, for the duration you want. Basically, it would be about 10 minutes. If this seems too easy, going to an heavier bell can be an option. Switching from 60s to 50s-55s intervals may be another one.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would argue any Presses protocol could be substituted with Push Press. ROP, PTTP, etc.

Why not run it with PTTP? Use the push-press as your press of choice. Alternatively if you're feeling really adventurous you could run it Bear style in place of BP.

I'm with @Steve W. in regards to long push press. For regular push press, Initial prime mover doesn't replicate what military press is. Long push press ignites the tension in core which helps develop what you need as a launching pad for military press. 3 to 5 reps per set is good enough.

For that matter, double front squat can be a good option as well. I remember Master SFG Jon Engum has layed out this as one of supplemental drill for military press.

For carry over to strict presses, Pavel has advocated what he calls the "long push press." Rack the bell, do a full front squat, and initiate the press just after your knees and hips lock out (don't noticeably pause before press, but don't start pressing before the knees and hips lock out).

It's subtly different from a thruster, since it isn't really ballistic. The press is still basically a strict press since you finish the leg and hip extension just before you start pressing. But some momentum from the squat still carries over to the bell and make the press a little easier.

I think carry over from regular push presses to strict presses varies a lot by individual. IMO, the main effect is getting comfortable with a heavier weight in the rack and overhead -- more of a disinhibiting effect than an actual strength-building one, if that's a valid distinction. But it gives assistance where a lot of people are weak in their strict press instead of building strength in that range, so many people do not get significant carry over.
My wife got me a pair of 28kg bells for my birthday and I was disappointed that my strong side couldn't get the bell up. Granted this was my first time doing double KB work. So, I just tried the long push press (deep squat, no momentum at the top) and the bells went up without a hitch. I did hold them there for a proud 5 count before shock really settles in. Thanks for mentioning Pavel's advice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom