all posts post new thread

Nutrition What is a Reasonable Diet?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My brother lost 110 lbs this past year, doing S&S sporadically, raising two daughters, got through a divorce, lost job... He just went out and got 2 new jobs

There is no perfect actually.
Agreed.

"Health" is a difficult thing to clearly define, and the role of diet (or exercise, or social inputs, or any other single thing that influences health) is difficult to pin down. I think using subjective measures (mental, emotional, and physical states) allows for a certain level of individualization, but there are obvious limitations to that approach as well.

Agreed.

"Health" is a difficult thing to clearly define, and the role of diet (or exercise, or social inputs, or any other single thing that influences health) is difficult to pin down. I think using subjective measures (mental, emotional, and physical states) allows for a certain level of individualization, but there are obvious limitations to that approach as well.
Right.
Good point: health. Slightly! overweight people seem to be healthier than the ones which would rather be said to be or look perfect and have a lower bmi (if you could take the bmi as reference at all, but here let us assume it is).
You ,entioned the individualisation. In my opinion this is what is often overlooked when it comes to diet. Harder to sell than ww programs ;)

Slightly! overweight people seem to be healthier than the ones which would rather be said to be or look perfect and have a lower bmi
Indeed, statistically speaking, moderately overweight people do live the longest...

Harder to sell than ww programs ;)
That is the issue, isn't it? I can't sell you something if you don't feel like you need it. If I can fill your head with unhealthy and unrealistic aesthetic ideals first, then maybe you'll buy my supplement/program/book.
There's a lot of money to made by making people feel like they aren't good enough, and it's pretty easy to do. I wish I could say that awareness brings immunity, but my "I wish I had 5-10 pounds more muscle" statement is pretty damning to that idea. I'm 5' 10" and a lean 155 lbs. At one point in time that may have been impressive, but our expectations have changed and we are left feeling a little (or a lot) inadequate.

In order to define a reasonable diet, I think we have to define reasonable health. It get's tricky pretty fast. Probably why so many national and international organizations make such a bollocks of it :p

Indeed, statistically speaking, moderately overweight people do live the longest...

That is the issue, isn't it? I can't sell you something if you don't feel like you need it. If I can fill your head with unhealthy and unrealistic aesthetic ideals first, then maybe you'll buy my supplement/program/book.
There's a lot of money to made by making people feel like they aren't good enough, and it's pretty easy to do. I wish I could say that awareness brings immunity, but my "I wish I had 5-10 pounds more muscle" statement is pretty damning to that idea. I'm 5' 10" and a lean 155 lbs. At one point in time that may have been impressive, but our expectations have changed and we are left feeling a little (or a lot) inadequate.

In order to define a reasonable diet, I think we have to define reasonable health. It get's tricky pretty fast. Probably why so many national and international organizations make such a bollocks of it :p
Exactly!
Showing those companies/ magazines etc the middle finger and define health in your own terms is kind of holy grail and hard work.
I share your thought about feeling inadequate (have been there for years and still sometimes am), but if I ask myself 'inadequate for what?' I cannot give an answer. Not looking like a model is not inadequate and does not keep me from doing what I am good at.

Thank you for your input! (y)

Perfect does not exist as an objective value per se it is completely subjective.

Perfect physique is a Frazetta or Bama painting, or some other artistic endeavor, not to be found in the real world without a bit of fog or rose colored glasses. It is a target maybe but more useful simply to inspire. Just coming within hazy distance of how one would like to look is a great accomplishment for most. You aren't going to get there with just diet though...

You aren't going to get there with just diet though...
Too many skinny/fat people suffer needlessly, diet alone without building some semblance of muscle is not healthy and creates a new problem set.
I would wager many of these people still have significant levels of internal organ based brown fat, along with a metabolically confused and disfunctional body. Exercise is the magic elixir, any type/quantity is better than none.

So the question could almost be morphing into....

What is a “Good Enough” Lifestyle. Not a perfect, goal, extreme, or ideal one.....just Good Enough.

I remember reading an article by Dan John, somewhere on his website. He mentioned a seminar where he asked “what is a, not perfect, but good enough diet?” If I remember correctly it essentially devolved into seeking perfection, like often happens with training recommendations.

So the question could almost be morphing into....

What is a “Good Enough” Lifestyle. Not a perfect, goal, extreme, or ideal one.....just Good Enough.

I remember reading an article by Dan John, somewhere on his website. He mentioned a seminar where he asked “what is a, not perfect, but good enough diet?” If I remember correctly it essentially devolved into seeking perfection, like often happens with training recommendations.

I like the 'Shawshank Redemption' strategy of a little bit at a time, taking small bites from the wall every day as a lifestyle instead of trying to do a major overhaul quickly.

Applying the same logic to training and nutrition strategies requires a long term lifestyle change. If a person takes baby steps, no matter how small, and keeps doing it consistently they can engineer a body and health/fitness level that works for them.

This thinking also allows for practically any life circumstances as the daily requirements are minimal, so long as they stay the course at least 80% of the time.
The course is easily adjusted and applies minimal stress to body and mind, in fact I would argue it gives a sense of peaceful confidence that nothing can knock you off the path or if you do screw it up now and then it's no big deal thereby relieving the stress/cortisol response.

Park bench beats bus bench overall, success earned over time..
I'm a stubborn pig-headed but thinking always Capricorn and know it, this allows me to use these traits to advantage regarding fitness and life in general.
By no means am I perfect in anything really, just trying to achieve an acceptable level of competence in life overall.

Know thyself.. :)

I like the 'Shawshank Redemption' strategy of a little bit at a time, taking small bites from the wall every day as a lifestyle instead of trying to do a major overhaul quickly.

Applying the same logic to training and nutrition strategies requires a long term lifestyle change. If a person takes baby steps, no matter how small, and keeps doing it consistently they can engineer a body and health/fitness level that works for them.

This thinking also allows for practically any life circumstances as the daily requirements are minimal, so long as they stay the course at least 80% of the time.
The course is easily adjusted and applies minimal stress to body and mind, in fact I would argue it gives a sense of peaceful confidence that nothing can knock you off the path or if you do screw it up now and then it's no big deal thereby relieving the stress/cortisol response.

Park bench beats bus bench overall, success earned over time..
I'm a stubborn pig-headed but thinking always Capricorn and know it, this allows me to use these traits to advantage regarding fitness and life in general.
By no means am I perfect in anything really, just trying to achieve an acceptable level of competence in life overall.

Know thyself.. :)

I endorse this when it comes to diet especially. For fitness I think many people sheer off due to lack of results or noticeable progress. Am more in favor of kicking it hard in the backside initially and dropping back to more measured work once there is enough progress that they trust the process.

As a long term fitness enthusiast, that is one of the major advantages I have over people just beginning or who have not experienced real success - I know the process works.

For long term body comp/diet I prefer to keep myself in a pretty tight range. If you stay in pretty good caloric balance you have more flexibility for what you eat and can make pretty rapid changes to body comp using only exercise.

If you tweak diet and training method, body comp becomes very malleable - I connot really identify (though certainly sympathize) with folks who struggle long term with body comp.

I’ve said it in another thread, but I’m on the seafood diet- I “see food” I eat it. I mean food too not s***. I don’t think about protein, carbs, calories or anything else I just get it in me.
Always eaten this way, seems to work for me.
Pic from last week post s&s session bragging to my partner about getting closer to 50 than 40.F4435198-AF88-4265-B40A-2E3395AD71EF.png 4BFD0B5A-75C6-4FA2-B263-2E811F037E98.jpeg& one taken 2mins ago pre getting home for s&s session.
I think when it comes to your body aesthetic the work you put in while young makes big difference when you get older.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom