all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What is "Allowing the Kettlebell To Slip Out Of The Groove" ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I am familiar with the idea of Greasing The Groove but not with the idea of "slipping out of the groove" referred to in this article

Test Your Kettlebell Military Press | StrongFirst

does it mean attempting too big a weight and losing technique ?
When a machine operates outside of its designed pathway, or groove, it operates suboptimally.
A bit like a sliding wardrobe door that is not sitting on its guide rail being a bugger to open.

does it mean attempting too big a weight and losing technique ?
Usually that's what happens. As you train any loaded movement you develop a pattern, and that pattern becomes strong because you're training it and adapting to the stress and becoming stronger as you recover from training. Minor deviations from that pattern happen during training so those minor deviations become strong also. But when anything knocks you far enough out of that pattern, which can happen when you attempt something heavier than what you are used to, the movement pattern can go a little differently than your usual pattern and then you move into a weaker area of motion (out of your groove), where your leverage isn't as favorable and your muscles aren't used to working in quite that way. Then things can quickly go from bad to worse, especially if it's a movement you can't easily bail on, although press and deadlift are generally pretty safe in that regard. Strength is specific! You get strong in the patterns you train.

There's some argument to be made for NOT trying to be perfect every time you do something like a press, so that you develop a little more strength outside your perfect groove... but that's a different discussion.

There's also an area of discussion about the difference between a theoretical "perfect groove for you" and "the way you train" (which may not be perfect, but is how you are strongest)... For instance, there are a lot of people arguing on the internet today about whether it's OK to deadlift with a rounded spine, if that's what you're used to, or do you need a "flat back" to be safe. I imagine there are similar arguments about press form. Personally I like to kettlebell press the way StrongFirst teaches it, because I think it is the best! And of course that looks a little different for each person based on their unique anthropometry, but we can work towards a well-established groove within this form that has an established record for pressing success.

I'm glad this was asked. Very interesting discussion.

I understood the first two but for me the third one (timing) made me draw a blank.

Timing is important for multiple repetitions I feel but this is referring to singles I believe.

What do you think they mean by failing with regards to timing?

Pausing too long in the rack, stalling, out of sync with breath, creating tension too late? These are ideas, not answers. I’ve been training heavy singles via soju and tuba so this is a great convo for me as well.

I'm glad this was asked. Very interesting discussion.

I understood the first two but for me the third one (timing) made me draw a blank.

Timing is important for multiple repetitions I feel but this is referring to singles I believe.

My guess would be hitting the irradiation of the non loaded side of the body with glute, gut, and grip tension of loaded hand simultaneously.

The pause between clean and press. There is an optimal timing where you use the clean to get loaded for the press. Too fast and you don't build it, too slow and it dissipates.
Is that an individual thing? I’ve been intentionally lengthening the time between Clean and Press to force more muscle activation on the strict press. Is that more of a “trying to set a PR” technique where you can load up with the clean to generate more power on the press?

Is that an individual thing? I’ve been intentionally lengthening the time between Clean and Press to force more muscle activation on the strict press. Is that more of a “trying to set a PR” technique where you can load up with the clean to generate more power on the press?
I would say it's a good thing to have some variety or a longer pause in training, at least sometimes. But you'll want to practice the optimum timing so it's automatic and you can feel it. Then you'll get it right when you go for a PR press.

I would say it's a good thing to have some variety or a longer pause in training, at least sometimes. But you'll want to practice the optimum timing so it's automatic and you can feel it. Then you'll get it right when you go for a PR press.
That makes sense, thank you!

There was another release recently regarding the Victorious press program where he talks about timing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom