all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What is our goal?

Exactly the same questions in Project Management approach (i.e. Agile, Scrum,etc): We first define the MoSCoW's:
Must Haves, Should haves, Could haves, Won't haves.

and the project is broken down into 4-6 week phases where you reevaluate after each step...well, sometimes 12 week phases on the larger projects.
Interesting. So the MosCoWs is basically the need-want quadrant gap used in psychology and market research..

A common question that gets asked.

ROP is promised to make us stronger, if we do not stray from the program. And this is true.

Due to a strained trap muscle, I headed to the commercial gym and fooled around.

Back squats were sweet, so we're pushups. After 4 sessions and 2 massages I did a freestyle session with bells.

28, previous 3rm, put it up for 6.

If our goal is to press half BW, are we cutting ourselves short by not cross training?

I don't mean doing a million exercises, but 6 seems right.

Some bodyweight (pushups, pullups)

Some barbell (deadlifts, squats)

Some KB (C+P), Snatch, swing.

I know strongfirst advocates for all, but seems it's all at once approach.

When strength can drive power, and strength in other movements can drive strength, in my case, almost immediately.

I understand the skill component, and maybe this is "variety days".

Maybe the light day could do well as a variety day?

I guess that's why we should contact a good coach....
I was able to get 1/2 bw press two different times using the Rop template. Snatch light monday and press, swing medium press med on Wednesday, swing heavy press heavy friday. Variety tuesday sfg practice, barbell Thursday. If I was feeling tired maybe just the three days of Rop. Then went into a custom strength plan for a coule cycles with DL, zercher, pendlay rows, and military press. Got some really good gains from the custom plans.

Exactly the same questions in Project Management approach (i.e. Agile, Scrum,etc): We first define the MoSCoW's:
Must Haves, Should haves, Could haves, Won't haves.

and the project is broken down into 4-6 week phases where you reevaluate after each step...well, sometimes 12 week phases on the larger projects.
What is harder to judge, RPE or story point :)

A common question that gets asked.

ROP is promised to make us stronger, if we do not stray from the program. And this is true.

Due to a strained trap muscle, I headed to the commercial gym and fooled around.

Back squats were sweet, so we're pushups. After 4 sessions and 2 massages I did a freestyle session with bells.

28, previous 3rm, put it up for 6.

If our goal is to press half BW, are we cutting ourselves short by not cross training?

I don't mean doing a million exercises, but 6 seems right.

Some bodyweight (pushups, pullups)

Some barbell (deadlifts, squats)

Some KB (C+P), Snatch, swing.

I know strongfirst advocates for all, but seems it's all at once approach.

When strength can drive power, and strength in other movements can drive strength, in my case, almost immediately.

I understand the skill component, and maybe this is "variety days".

Maybe the light day could do well as a variety day?

I guess that's why we should contact a good coach....

The best results can be from rotating your minimalist programs throughout the year or seasons. You then get both focus and frequency, and variety. Some people alternate, KB strong, KB Killer, and the Giant programs from Geoff Neupert as an example. I have a winter deadlift season and a summer walking, bodyweight focus, spring and fall KB normally. etc.

What is harder to judge, RPE or story point :)
lol, good question! I think that both require a long good history of completing the 4-12week efforts. Once you are aware of how good you are (you=RPE; Team = story point) based on previous history, then you can predict how well you perform , e.g. judging your RPE, or the effort to implement the story point. A better understanding of your historical stats => the better you can judge these items.

And there are some things I find it difficult to explain, although I feel like I've tried in several recent posts on other threads.
I believe I have recently really started to understand what your philosophy is when it comes to strength training and training in general. It is a simple and straightforward one I guess but not easy to explain or to understand :) please keep on explaining it by your beautiful answers, we are learning from them.

Thanks to all, Steve I appreciate you taking time to share your wisdom.

A good discussion

What is most important to you?
What is somewhat important?
What is something you want to have but not so important?

When you can clarify these, it's easier to decide how to approach your training

These are all great questions, and I'm not sure if it's just the world we live in today, or it's me, but the answer to all three can vary from season to season.

Someone mentioned the seasonal approach in this thread.

By that logic, you could design your minimalist training.
Snatching in summer humidity probably not ideal, for example.

Much food for thought in this thread.

Peace and love to you all.

Thanks to all, Steve I appreciate you taking time to share your wisdom.

These are all great questions, and I'm not sure if it's just the world we live in today, or it's me, but the answer to all three can vary from season to season.

Someone mentioned the seasonal approach in this thread.

By that logic, you could design your minimalist training.
Snatching in summer humidity probably not ideal, for example.

Much food for thought in this thread.

Peace and love to you all.
I tend to snatch in the winter months due to the humidity. Although swings aren’t a ton of fun during the summer months I find that I can do them early in the morning without issues.

Back
Top Bottom