all posts post new thread

Nutrition What is the minimum calories I should consume with this activity level?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul_Cole9

Level 2 Valued Member
I'll be brief. Can't lift much at moment, shoulder issues. I do one hour of cardio a day (stationary bike or treadmil - stop laughing at the back!) staying at the top end of my aerobic zone by heart rate, according to Maffetone's estimate.

I am on a few anti-anxiety meds that put weight on so getting it off is difficult.

The calorific expenditure on the cardio is around 700-800 a day (estimated). I am currently on 2100 and am thinking of cutting breakfast, which is 450.

Would this be a risk to health? What is the minimum you would go for? I'm 5'11 and 14 st 2lb. Sedentary day job.

I should add that I am only on the 3 rep max FPP at the minute and am taking it VERY slow, with a 'day' as prescribed taking up to a week or more - no rush.

Cut carbs, add protein.
Can you do squats/squat jumps? Lunges? Rope skipping for hiit?
I would ratger skip dinner than breakfast. When do you workout?

First off, nothing wrong with doing cardio but find ways to incorporate strength. e.g. Squats, deadlifts, etc. If the weight bothers your upper body too much, go for body-weight versions.

Back to your question, the number of calories (more importantly, the right combination of nutrients) you consume depends on your goal. Is it for weight loss, ability to the exercise, or performance? Are you looking to increase your strength and lift more weight?

I don't mean to run around your question, but you shouldn't worry about the calorie count. Instead, concentrate on a healthy diet with a good mix of protein, good carbs, and healthy fats. Try and include a lean protein for each meal. Minimize the amount of starches you eat (i.e. bread, cookies, cake, etc.); instead, try and replace the starches with vegetables. Include healthy fats in your diet, like using olive oil instead of canola oil, or add avocados.

As for how much you eat really depends on your goals. Looking to lose weight, eat smaller meals. Looking to gain strength, eat larger meals but work in the strength training.

If you concentrate more on eating a good balanced diet rather than calorie counting, it will be easier to achieve your goals and maintain good eating habits. From my experience, calorie counting works (I lost 30 lbs because of it), but it was a miserable experience which I could have easily stop doing after I got to my goal weight. I'm working on eating healthier now and I'm enjoying how I feel from both a workout performance standpoint and throughout the day.

My personal opinion:

While thermodynamics is thermodynamics, there's factors that impact the equation.

I'd say eat to your biological need. I'd say get your mind out of that whole calorie counting thing.

I've had issues with weight regulation for years now, when I was naturally lean my entire life! To cut a long story short, there's a slew of factors that encourage weight gain.

Look at the problem in terms of lowering your set point, rather than starving yourself slim.

Consume whole, minimally processed foods. Don't sweat it. You'll be good.

Oh and by the way, I feel you on the anxiety stuff. Been there. One thing I had when my anxiety was high was constant over-analysing and s***. Lame as hell and no way to live. Life is for us to ENJOY.

I've dropped like 14 lbs now after struggling for ages. It was effortless, too. Nourishing your body and chilling the f*** out do your body comp good.

Best of luck,
Rav.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I hear ya, thanks for the advice. Problem is, relying on my natural hunger and eating clean has got me yo an impasse with the tablets I am on meaning no further fat is being lost. So I am having to adopt a strategy that will mean calorie restriction will be necessary - if even only for a temporary period.

So if you HAD to say what a minimum should be with my activity level, what would you reckon, without it being detrimental to health?

What are your meds? I see what you are saying however your meds will be already messing with your hormones....and so appetite control to some extent. Restricting calories may well back fire on you.....overdose on nutritional rich foods and restrict the rubbish first. Your health is already compromised by the taking of medication....to some extent....starving/restriction will further stress your system. Chat with your doc? Any contra-indications with your meds? What kind of anti-anxiolytics? Benzos, older anti-depressants, anti-psychotics? How long/dosage?
Not really what you want to hear, I know. You said:

I am on a few anti-anxiety meds that put weight on so getting it off is difficult.

.....get off the meds and it may be easier. Not wishing to sound harsh or unforgiving. I was a psych nurse, I'm not a nutritionist, calorie control on mood altering medication is not to be messed with. Get to homebase: off the meds, drug free. Meanwhile, eat as healthy as you can/afford and as convenient for you and your lifestyle whilst looking for ways to reduce or get off your medication and other ways to reduce anxiety.

A general healthy fat loss goal is considered to be 1 to 2 lbs a week.....for healthy individuals. Get healthy first and that becomes a viable option, a goal. But for someone on anti-anxiolytics? It isn't a level playing field, it's uphill and sideways. Depending on your meds it may not be possible and possibly contra-indicated and it follows possible more harm than good. You are 5 11, 14st, that is not an unhealthy weight, at all. I can see that it perhaps isn't what you'd like it to be but consider the longer term health benefits of a proper diet and seeking less a reliance on medication to medicated short term weight loss.

Paul,

I am no doctor, but medications can absolutely encourage weight gain and make fat loss very difficult. They can screw with your hormones and create an environment where it's difficult to lose bodyfat.

It's possible that even with a calorie deficit, you'll be in a bit of a bind with your body compositional goals. Medications really do skew the picture and make it more complex than just eating cleaner and reducing intake a bit.

You need to consider this.

However, you can still push to make positive changes in your life. If the meds are for anxiety, then you making the concious effort to push into a enjoyable life full of stimulating mental input will be a great thing for you.

Your Dr's opinion comes first, though. I am not a medical practitioner or anything so you need to figure the big picture out.

I think you'll get this under control.

Best wishes,
Rav.

@Paul_Cole9, the human body is very good at compensation (even though it will give you signals that it doesn't want to). If you can tolerate it, you can skip breakfast but you may find yourself eating more later without intention.

Coming from someone that did the whole calorie counting option several years ago, here's what I recommend:

1) Determine what your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is for your height, weight, and age. This is a general idea of the amount of calories your body burns no matter what a day. If you eat less than that number you will still be able to function but may not get the performance out of your workouts/practices.
2) Try cutting your calories by 10% (i.e. from your stated number, consume roughly 1,890 calories) and keep at it for a couple of weeks. Your body/mind won't like it but for most people a 10% cut is tolerable just as long as this number isn't too far below your BMR.
3) Re-evaluate your calorie consumption every two weeks to see if you are hitting your weight loss goals. Aim for 2 lbs a week but no more than 5 lbs a week. More than that for most people is unsustainable.
4) KEEP TRACK OF EVERYTHING YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY. Carry a small notebook or take notes on your smartphone. There are plenty of calorie counting apps out there. I used an app provided by caloriecount.com. Note: you can setup this app with your goals (i.e. calories, weight loss, etc.).

I loss 30 lbs (from 215 lbs to 185 lbs) on a 5'8" frame in my lower 30s keeping track of everything I ate and did. It takes quite a bit of discipline to do this and its doable. I found myself near the end of this weight loss journey looking for more than pounds loss. This is why I'm concentrating on eating right and incorporating more strength training. I haven't loss anymore weight but my body is stronger and more compact.

No matter what you decide to do, keep this thought in mind: "It takes time. Nothing worthwhile comes overnight." Keep good notes, have a good support group around you, and take each day one step at a time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom