all posts post new thread

Old Forum What is the most 'antifragilizing' martial art?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Where/whatever you walk away from with a profound sense of humility and appreciation of your limitations.  Seek this unrelentingly and you will end up where you need to be.

Thank you for your help.

I take with me a few points:

- MCMAP (although I'm not sure I can learn it as civilian)

- Quality of instruction (e.g. sparring versus drilling)

- Importance of instructor/mentor

Matt, I'm asking for both attack and defense.

In a nutshell, I want to find out what stuff is practical and works even in situations that I have a clear physical disadvantage, and not waste time learning things whose value in real life is debatable.

Btw, do any of you guys know what combating system use real practitioners, like secret service guys? I mean, not marines or military guys armed with equipment, but the guys that have to go unarmed, but be able to take down whoever in real life environments, even armed opponents.

Cheers,

Vicente

Vicente, get strong, learn bjj, judo, sambo, or wrestling and some boxing, karate or muy Thai if you want to learn how to fight.

there is no death touch, there is no pressure point attacks, jason bournes or Liam Neeson in taken doesn't exist.

We all wish it did.

Knife fighting or gun fighting is a different story. not my cup of tea.

but if someone tries to attack a decent grappler, no eye poke, strike to the throat, kick to the groin or knee stomp will stop the inevitable.

broken limbs or unconsciousness Will follow 90%+ of the time.

its just the facts. And if this doesn't click, there was a couple other items mentioned that will work.

Run fast, or parkour.

Krav Maga is excellent if you are looking for an efficient way to learn realistic self defence. Some of the martial arts with a sporting element run contrary to the principles of self defense. If doing krav you need a class that will allow some sparring as Mike Tyson used to say "everyone has a plan till they get punched."

Cherographed moves don't work in the way you might expect in a fluid situaiton. It's the principles you need to apply, hit hard, move and then run!

gd luck with it!

One thing that's usually left out in these discussions is what schools are in your area. Even if the perfect martial art could be identified, it won't do you any good if instruction isn't available to you.

Vicente,

I was in the Secret Service for three years, and have trained in tkd, jkd, bjj, and krav.  When I was trained they instructed us in some basic boxing/kickboxing, bjj, judo and krav.  Keep in mind, law enforcement entities have a use of force policy that they must adhere to (i.e. they are not necessarily allowed to perform groin kicks to subdue an individual who is actively resisting arrest) so they frequently cannot use the most efficient/debilitating moves.

Agree with many of the above posts, hard sparring is a great eye opener in both standing and ground fighting.  I think everyone could benefit from a year or two of bjj since many fights can end up on the ground (keep in mind, some bjj moves lend more to self defense, some to sport; hard to choke a guy with his gi if he doesn't have one and he is punching me in the face).   Krav is helpful in that it exposes inexperienced people to effective basic technique and then has them execute it when they are tired/exhausted (fatigue makes cowards of us all).

Ultimately I believe there is no ultimate style/move/technique.  Size, strength and skill all come into play. I was once soundly beaten in bjj sparring by a near 400 lb former powerlifter (Im 200 lbs), and no skill I have seen before or since that was allowed in a grappling context was going to help me.  I have also had the opportunity to grapple with a highly skilled lady who weighed 110 lbs soaking wet, she was more skilled than I, but not enough to bridge the large size and strength gap.

just my opinions, apologies for the overly long post

I think Charles nailed this question and so many others where the trainee wishes to get to the end result immediately.  This advice will keep you ever hungry and never satisfied and those qualities will save you in many instances in life:

Where/whatever you walk away from with a profound sense of humility and appreciation of your limitations.  Seek this unrelentingly and you will end up where you need to be.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom