all posts post new thread

Nutrition What is wrong with nutrition research...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I just read it, but the only thing I could understand is that all types of studies are wrong. It makes me wonder what a proper study would look like.

For the time being, I will eat 12 hazelnuts, one tangerine, 3 cups of coffee a day and refrain from eating eggs. Just in case.

I just read it, but the only thing I could understand is that all types of studies are wrong. It makes me wonder what a proper study would look like.

For the time being, I will eat 12 hazelnuts, one tangerine, 3 cups of coffee a day and refrain from eating eggs. Just in case.
But don’t eat bacon or you’ll die 10 years earlier!

The primary issue they are pointing out is that most nutrition research is based on epidemiological studies, not intervention studies. In an epidemiological study, you don't do anything, you observe and record data. Then you look for correlations. However, correlation cannot prove causation. There is a strong correlation between the presence of firemen and fires, but firemen don't cause fires. There are other statistical issues like "P-hacking" and some types of bias as well. The big problem is that nutrition policy, and the dietary guidelines, are based on these weak and faulty studies. Nobody is doing intervention trials, most notably the randomized control trial, which is the gold standard for research. The issue is that nobody wants to fund them because they are so expensive. You know how hard it is for people to stick with a diet. Imagine how hard it is to do diet research! Compliance can be bought but it costs too much. Our whole foundation of nutrition knowledge is built on shaky ground. The best I can say with certainty is to eat real food.

But don’t eat bacon or you’ll die 10 years earlier!
We like to read what the worlds oldest people did to make it that long. One said eat bacon. That's good enough for me. Besides, do you really want to live to triple digits?

I've always thought that if I was to become the beloved ruler of a totalitarian regime, I'd use the chance to do some nutrition and sport research. Without such chances, it's a far cry from science. I know, we play with the cards we're dealt and do the best we can, but still, a far cry from science.

Mike,

I know this may be off topic just a bit, but I've been doing some nutritional research and by the looks of it, you have to be related somewhere somehow to Cane Prevost. Whatever you two are eating makes you look just alike and have the last name! By the way, Cane is one of my favorite BJJ guys. I've learned more from him than any other you tubers as he teaches concepts.

cane prevost

Mike,

I know this may be off topic just a bit, but I've been doing some nutritional research and by the looks of it, you have to be related somewhere somehow to Cane Prevost. Whatever you two are eating makes you look just alike and have the last name! By the way, Cane is one of my favorite BJJ guys. I've learned more from him than any other you tubers as he teaches concepts.

cane prevost

Jeff

Believe it or not Cane is my identical twin brother. He has a gift for absolute clarity of thought and he always keeps a beginners mind. Humble and willing to be wrong. We fought every single day growing up, even though we got along great. It is a brother thing. Now, I think he would just choke me out in 20 seconds.

Mike

Jeff

Believe it or not Cane is my identical twin brother. He has a gift for absolute clarity of thought and he always keeps a beginners mind. Humble and willing to be wrong. We fought every single day growing up, even though we got along great. It is a brother thing. Now, I think he would just choke me out in 20 seconds.

Mike
Thats absolutely crazy Mike! I've been watching Cane since I started training BJJ nearly 4 years ago. Man, excellence must run in your guys blood. He is at the top in my book with his coaching. I learned how to frame from his videos and just last night I taught to my wife what I learned from him. I've responded to many of his videos. Just let him know you met one of his biggest fans. Actually, I watched him this afternoon when I got back from my grandfathers birthday get together. I'm getting close to getting my purple belt but I've got a lot of stuff to tighten up before I'm fully ready. Its been tough starting at nearly 40 years old having to scrap with the 20 year olds, but being an old Marine Sgt. I'm a little tougher than they are.

+1

And thank you @mprevost for that article!

The only thing I would add to eating real food would be to see things within context.
Example: I am having a delicious stew made from meat, veggies, olive oil, beans. And I am having white bread with it because it just tastes good. So what! There is already a lot of micronutrients and fibre in my stew.
Or: I still have 600 calories left to be filled and already had my protein/veggies/fibre. Why not having chocolate instead of oats with water.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom