all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What is your Centenarian Decathlon?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
But you don't have to _use_ those new services, do you? We have our TV plugged into a "cable box" from Verizon and that's all.

-S-
I guess there's a spectrum here, the savvier you are - the easier it is to get around them. if it were me - I'd flash the tv with my own media server client to my broadcast my own collection from my office server over wifi.

if I'm nascent - or a novice - it might not be clear to me that I could use the television without it.

Hypothetical - TV won't enter functions like switching inputs from CATV - ANT - Analog INPUT - until you agree to the terms of services prompt. I know a couple of oldsters who'd react to that by informing me that the TV doesn't work at all.

And, these prompts - (which I know in one rare case was required just to use the television at all - and was asking for the creation of a user account/login) are becoming more and more common.

ROFL talk about thread drift...wait until people find out that some of them have built-in mic/camera options and various alphabets have at least done proof of concept backdoor spyware al a "Stuxnet". Came out in some of the vault 7 wikileaks...

/drift

---

Thanks for the good thread though. It has made me realize that there is more to aging than merely raw strength. I hope with age will come wisdom in "picking my battles". Perhaps I should focus less on continuing to own reasonably heavy weights and instead more work on general "enough" strength, mobility, my balance and proprioception...and continuing to work out the brain. Use it or lose it.
After all, if I am frugal with my resources now, at that age I can always pay some enthusiastic teen or twenty something to move and hang that extra large smart TV I probably don't need anyway.

This thread is definitely making me ponder what my actual goals are, now and what they should be in the future.

I have:

A streaming only TV - no cable
A streaming music server running on my own server
A turntable and about 400 LPs
A reel-to-reel tape deck

I'm not sure what that means in terms of my relative techno enthusiasm vs luddite.

Perhaps I should focus less on continuing to own reasonably heavy weights and instead more work on general "enough" strength, mobility, my balance and proprioception...and continuing to work out the brain. Use it or lose it.

My goals over the next year is to get a better balance between my aerobic, anaerobic, and strength systems.

From a health and longevity point of view, I'm probably well past the point of diminishing returns for strength and anaerobic capacity, but I could with more mitochondrial training for longer duration (e.g. 45 min) LISS below the lactate threshold.

My own parents are getting up there in age : 71 and 73. It's hard because they've earned the right to live a life of predictability and routine ...

At age 67, I'm 4 and 6 years younger, respectively, than your parents. I don't mean to sound any harsher than necessary but no one ever earns the right to a live a life of predictability and routine - it doesn't happen, and if it did ...

... but at the same time doesn't this lead to stagnation and premature death both figuratively and literally?

Yes. Good to quote Bob Dylan here and say that he who isn't busy being born is busy dying.

We are what we do repeatedly and if that is watching pawn stars ...

People complain about the pervasiveness of social media; I complain about the pervasiveness of television. If western civilization as we know it is coming to an end - and I hope it isn't - I cite TV as the beginning of the end. It's Big Brother, it's 1984, it's all those things.

... going to the local diner and gossiping about the town, what can we really expect from our 'golden years'?

Expect to get out of them what you put into them, not just what you put into your past.

-S-

I have:

A streaming only TV - no cable
A streaming music server running on my own server
A turntable and about 400 LPs
A reel-to-reel tape deck

I'm not sure what that means in terms of my relative techno enthusiasm vs luddite.
No tv for most of the last 30 years. Bought a crappy one to watch 96 Olympics, then gave away.
Music, pandora through my laptop and bose computer speakers.

LP's and reel-to reel, nice!

...People complain about the pervasiveness of social media; I complain about the pervasiveness of television. If western civilization as we know it is coming to an end - and I hope it isn't - I cite TV as the beginning of the end. It's Big Brother, it's 1984, it's all those things....

-S-

...and Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, Logan's Run...Lord of the Flies?
It's a strange world some of us live in now. I'm glad we have the tech. I can find places like this with shared knowledge, but it's a two-edged sword. Tech can become a crutch. Exhibit A; is most sedentary people with modern amenities in our modern cultures. They. drive. everywhere...and destroying their health.

The past two years of COVID makes be better understand why the Amish are the way they are. They just sort of grunted at the rest of the world and went back to work after a short hiatus. I was floored when I found out some of them use electricity,...but not grid power. Instead solar panels and other alternative tech. It's about preserving their culture. I can respect that.

Since about mid-2000's sportsball lost interest. Too much money, too many mental juveniles, too much time lost where I could be making something or learning a new skill. I watch more documentaries and instructional videos online than I do TV. I can only watch so many Clint Eastwood/Bogart/McQueen/etc. movies again and again, and the TV show "Lost" has permanently ruined TV in general for me. On the upside I save about $2k a year on cable bills alone when I hear what some of my friends pay. More money for kettlebells and camping/hunting!

Now I'm focused on trying to not lose that knowledge I learned from my grandparent's generation who grew up during the depression/war era, and instill that in my five kids. In some ways perhaps I'm living in the past, but I hope instead I'm adapting with time and taking the best of previous culture into the next generation.

I'm going to remove:

Get up off the floor under own support

And replace it with:

Pass no hands sit / stand test
Feet crossed or uncrossed ?
Both R over L and L/R, and you lose points if you shift your feet or lose balance while standing.

FYI, a real test, used to show ACM over the next 6 months. No haha.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom