all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What is your Centenarian Decathlon?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Lifting things with your base of support directly beneath its center of mass is one thing, but it almost never occurs in day to day life. We're always holding things and manipulating things out away from our body.
It is this exact dynamic I was attacking when training with the offset weighted pole (back in my Hobo bundle days) and is IMHO a major reason why a great deal of trained strength simply does not translate in day to day application. The mechanics simply are not remotely applicable. Exercise selection matters a lot more than most people give credit.

The drawback to targeting this specifically is your big movers are chronically underchallenged, and the supporting musculature gets hammered. Is also ultimately limited by your body mass as an anchor the further the load gets from center of mass, a fundamental reason why simply being bigger gives one an advantage in many (not all!) day to day applications.

But yeah, as a dynamic it should be considered in one’s programming. You cannot assume carry-over from just getting better at the big lifts.

I don't have a list for you at the moment, but this evoked a thought:

I've thought about this when it comes to strength in general, as well as "functional life strength." Lifting things with your base of support directly beneath its center of mass is one thing, but it almost never occurs in day to day life. We're always holding things and manipulating things out away from our body. It makes me think of how strength training in traditional martial arts often included thing like:
-holding jars of sand (or rocks, bricks, etc) by the fingertips, sometimes at arms' length
-wearing weights around the wrists while performing martial arts "forms/katas."
-basically there was usually an element of gripping something (which we know is tied to health and longevity) and manipulating it around our body, which involves not just the upper extremity muscles, but also the coordination of the core, hips, and vestibular system.
Sounds quite a bit like the Big Six or variations thereof.

Well, if I make it to 100 with my brains relatively intact (and it's a big if - Alzheimer's is in the family), I guess here are a few things I hope I can still do in addition to regular everyday tasks:
*enjoy lifting weights
*enjoy walking a small-medium size dog
*enjoy swimming
*enjoy cooking
*enjoy riding a bike

I don't bike or swim currently. I am confident with my base of skills with swimming. I am less confident with my base of cycling however and every year I don't ride a bike I get less and less confident about my ability to do it competently into old age...

Peter Attia has this concept he talks about called the Centenarian Decathlon, which is just a mental model to back-cast training in the present in order to be a kick-a#@ 100 year old in the future (within human limits).

It focuses specifically on the physical aspect of aging, leaving out things like cognition and basic bodily functions (i.e. going to the toilet by yourself), and focuses instead of the external physical needs.
I don't find this useful - I'm busy with today and will always try to be the most capable possible.

-S-

That has not been my experience.

-S-
Might be that I work jobs where this sort of multi dynamic effect is more prevalent. Or maybe I expect a lot more carry-over from my training.

Virtually all common forms of resistance training, even ballistics line up with the path of maximum bracing, whether the load is between you and the floor or you are between the load and the floor.

This isn’t to say that no acquired strength translates, rather that a somewhat small % relative to demonstrable training strength will come into play.

A great deal of this is subject to chance - mostly how close you can get your hips to/under the load in question. There is a huge difference between pressing a 24kg and extending it out at arm’s length even with 2 hands. The challenge of a load in a work environment is often more postural than the actual weight being moved. Some types of training directly address this, most do not.

Might be that I work jobs where this sort of multi dynamic effect is more prevalent. Or maybe I expect a lot more carry-over from my training.

Virtually all common forms of resistance training, even ballistics line up with the path of maximum bracing, whether the load is between you and the floor or you are between the load and the floor.

This isn’t to say that no acquired strength translates, rather that a somewhat small % relative to demonstrable training strength will come into play.

A great deal of this is subject to chance - mostly how close you can get your hips to/under the load in question. There is a huge difference between pressing a 24kg and extending it out at arm’s length even with 2 hands. The challenge of a load in a work environment is often more postural than the actual weight being moved. Some types of training directly address this, most do not.

I have a lot of fun doing barbell cleans & snatches, but I'd have a hard time claiming they benefit me in "real life".

(other than just being active and enjoying it)

It's a pretty esoteric skill and I'm not trying to increase my vertical leap (common claimed carry-over for those lifts) for other purposes.

Last edited:
The crazy thing that just jumped in my mind is to be able to do a strict "L-Sit" on demand. That would speak so loudly in my mind on many levels but I need to start working on it.

The challenge of a load in a work environment is often more postural than the actual weight being moved. Some types of training directly address this, most do not.
There are really too many variables to make generalizations about carryover. How much lifting weights carries over into one's life is going to be different for different lives. My jobs aren't physical at all. I can say with certainty that going from not lifting weights to having a deadlift 1RM that's over 2x bodyweight is a game changer - literally everything is better. I feel better, I am able to do tasks like moving furniture much better - that and just about anything else I wasn't prepared for is better after getting stronger, and my getting stronger has mostly been by picking a heavy barbell.

-S-

I have a lot of fun doing barbell cleans & snatches, but I'd have a hard time claiming they benefit me in "real life".

(other than just being active and enjoying it)

It's a pretty esoteric skill and I'm not trying to increase my vertical leap (common claimed carry-over for those lifts) for other purposes.
I sometimes tell myself that all the squatting I do is so that I can get off the john and off the couch, but I'm not really sure it's doing much for my "real life" other than making it harder to tie my shoes.

There are really too many variables to make generalizations about carryover. How much lifting weights carries over into one's life is going to be different for different lives. My jobs aren't physical at all. I can say with certainty that going from not lifting weights to having a deadlift 1RM that's over 2x bodyweight is a game changer - literally everything is better. I feel better, I am able to do tasks like moving furniture much better - that and just about anything else I wasn't prepared for is better after getting stronger, and my getting stronger has mostly been by picking a heavy barbell.

-S-
We just talked about this sort of idea in my first exercise science class. There is definitely improvement in one’s ability to perform “activities of daily living” (their term for stuff like getting dressed, bathing, getting off the floor, etc) when aging populations are given appropriate strength training. Strength training certainly makes daily life “easier.” I don’t think anyone here would argue against that.

The idea I was getting at with earlier post was that “odd object lifting” is not always improved as much as we might think by say, doing barbell work. I think there’s improvement; I just don’t think there’s as much as we might expect.

Watchnerds post about the frying pan feeling heavier than it was is what got me thinking that even if you can press a lot overhead, it doesn’t mean you can hold something heavy out in front of you. That’s all. As a thought experiment: Imagine if you were like Superman and you could pick up a 48kg kettlebell and throw it like a baseball. That’s a lot different than bracing your core, packing your shoulder, keeping the same side hip under bell, etc…..

On the note of all that, another thing that popped into my head was this:
Many of us here are familiar with the idea of “child like strength” from Original Strength. That is, when we were kids we didn’t need things like a “proper hinge” to pick something off the floor. We just bent over and picked it up. With age however, it seems like some of us might say something like “I can’t bend my back that way without pain.” I would call that something like a “reduction of movement options.”

So without making this too long, I’ll just say this. I think that for me, healthy physical aging would be defined as having the widest range possible of physical capability as I grow older. That is, maintaining the widest range possible of movement options.

I sometimes tell myself that all the squatting I do is so that I can get off the john and off the couch, but I'm not really sure it's doing much for my "real life" other than making it harder to tie my shoes.

You may have noticed that one of my centenarian goals is:

Able to use a squat toilet

So if we assume a typical rate of strength decay and sarcopenia, being able to squat 3 plates now seems about right if I want to be able to squat over a hole in the ground and poop at 100. ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom