all posts post new thread

Nutrition What is your nutrition like while strength training? Specifically your calories and protein intake

OliverZ

Level 3 Valued Member
I would be interested on hearing what your nutrition is like while strength training. Do you eat caloric deficit? Surplus? Maintainance? Do you hit that magic number of 1g of protein per 1lbs of bodyweight a day?

I'm 72kg, 6ft, 40 years of age, I strength train 4 days a week. My nutrition looks like this:

- 5 days a week I eat clean and around 2000 calories (usually around 1800-2000 cals). I'm not sure what my maintenance calories are, but I'm pretty sure this is a couple of hundred below it.

- The other 2 days a week (the weekends) is generally spent with friends and family, so my nutrition pretty much goes out the window. I usually eat well over my maintenance. It's something I want to reduce, but currently this is how my social and family spent weekends goes.

- As for protein intake, I usually have around 100g per day. I know it's lower than the widely suggested 1g of protein per 1lbs of bodyweight a day.

I'm wondering if my nutrition isn't optimal for my strength training, but honestly I've been breaking personal records lately, and fairly consistently.

What about you?

Sorry, I should have added that hypertrophy isn't my main goal (I would love it as a byproduct), but my main aim is strength increase.

Currently around 2400 kcal, P:17%, F:80%, C:3%. Focus on Strength, but about a week ago it was 3600.

I strength train when I'm gaining and when I'm losing. I do switch things around a bit, but as @Geoff Neupert said, "the only difference between a hypertrophy routine and a fat loss routine is calories".

Right now I recently went down from 240 to 230 over 5 weeks and am slowly increasing my calories for maintenance. So cutting was 2300, now I'm at 2500 calories and holding steady for a bit. I get around 160-170g of protein a day. So on the lower end, but I still feel like I'm cramming in protein all the time and have seen a lot of good changes since upping it from 120g. I don't really track the other macros because they aren't that important in the scheme of things.

Also, you are only around a protein shake a day to reach the bottom of the recommended protein intake for performance, that is only .8g per lb of LBM. You might be surprised at how big a difference it makes.

Do you hit that magic number of 1g of protein per 1lbs of bodyweight a day?

No

Very few individual need to consume 1 gm per 1 lb of body weight a day.

Protein Intake

There are multiple studies on the amount of protein per pound or kilo of body weight.

One gram per pound is on the high end. This is more than most individual need, unless there is a good reason for it.

1.5 to 175 Gram Per Kilo of Body Weight

Many research articles indicate that this is a good range for most individuals; which I agree with.

Protein Per Serving

One of the key factors of ensuring muscle mass is maintained or increased is the amount of protein consumed per meal/serving

Research (Drs. Donald Layman and Layne Norton) determined that approximately 30 gram of quality protein per serving is required for younger individual to maintain and/or trigger an increase in muscle mass; younger meaning twenty's age group.

Older individual need to consume approximately 40 gram of quality protein per meal.

Layman Research

Layman found that most Americans only consume one meai a day that provide enough protein.

Thus, the lower consumption of protein in two meals a day means you are essentially starving your muscles.

That is the reason individual gradually lose muscle mass as they over time as they age.

1668680766423.png

The amount Per Serving has to do with the...

Leucine: The Anabolic Amino Acid

Research (Norton and Layman) found that 30 to 40 gram Per Serving/Meal provide the optimal amount of Leucine.

Leucine is The Anabolic Amino Acid. It trigger mTOR (Mamallian Target of Rapamycin) which promotes muscle growth.

The determinate factor in the amount of Protein Per Serving is dependent on the...

Quality Protein

Meats, eggs, and dairy proteins are high quality protein.

Whey Protein contains the highest percentage of Leucine.

Vegetable Protein provide very little Leucine.

Another factor is...

Refractory Eating Period

Optimal Muscle Protein Synthesis for increasing muscle mass occurs when meals/serving of are 4 - 6 hour apart.

Muscle Protein Synthesis

This equates to an increase in muscle mass.

Muscles are similar to a Sponge.

When the sponge is dry is soaks up more water. When it is really wet is soaks up very little water.

The muscle repond in the same way. When meals or protein intake happens every 4-6 hours, the "Muscle Sponge" is dry, it soaks up and optimally used protein for maintaince and to build muscle.

100 Gram Per Day of Pertein

Based on your intake, breaking it up into three meals equally would yield 33 gram of proten per meal.

Based on your age, I'd suggest increasing your protein per meal to 40 gram of Quality Protein.

That because for older individuals (over twenty) to achieve the same anabolic response, they need a greater serving of Quatlity Protein.

I'm wondering if my nutrition isn't optimal for my strength training, but honestly I've been breaking personal records lately, and fairly consistently.

"Everything Works But Nothing Works Forever"

The underlying reason for this has to do with...

The Genearal Ada[tation Syndrome

This mean the body will eventually adapt to a diet or exercise program.

Once adaptation occurs, progress stops.

Since what you are doing is working, keep doing it. Once it stops working, you need to change something.

If It Ain't Broke, Break It

The essence of this book is for progress to occur in any area, experiment with new ideas and methods.

The Book's Take Home Message

1) Never be satisified.

2) Remain open to new concepts and method.

3) Be willing to experiment with them and find out. Be patient, there is a learning curve to anything new.

Personal Experience

I found a new training concept years ago. I tried it and put 50 lbs on my Deadlift in a year; I had a good Deadlift to begin with.

I then revised that program based on the training concept. In doing so, my Deadlift dropped 40 lbs the following year.

Balking A Cake

I re-examied my revised program. I determined that, like a cake, I had all the right ingredients.

The issue was how much of each ingredient to put into, metaphorically speaking, my "Training Cake".

I modified my "Training Ingrediens". In doing so, I regained the 50 lb to my Deadlift and increased it another 20 lbs; it was now 70 lb higher. It took me a year to figure it out.

The Take Home Message

Often the reason a program or method doesn't work is because individual don't perform it correctly.

Rather than accepting that it was them. they trash the program.

In working with a friend on a program, I showed and went over it with him.

I returned to see how he was doing. He said it wasn't working.

I went throught the program with him at the gym; only to find out the he had "Modified it to make it better".

Instead he turned it into something completely different. The fault was with him, not the program.

The strongest I’ve been is when I ate the most while strength training. Strength training and reducing calories I just don’t like. I eventually get sore joints, niggling injuries.

Vegetable Protein provide very little Leucine.
They have some interesting mixes now that are getting as good as animal based powders. I think it was one with corn, wheat, and pea protein. It had a similar leucine and amino acid makeup as milk protein.

hey have some interesting mixes now that are getting as good as animal based powders. I think it was one with corn, wheat, and pea protein. It had a similar leucine and amino acid makeup as milk protein.
Plant Protein vs. Animal Protein for Muscle Growth and Performance
Charlie Ottinger - Ketogenic.com

Protein Quality, Kinetics, and Anabolic Potential

Protein quality is highly related to EAA and leucine content and, up until recently, was measured by the PDCAAS scale, which stands for Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score.
However, this rating system has started to phase out and is being replaced by the DIAAS, which stands for the Dietary Indispensable Amino Acid Score [15].

1669731814983.png

...Soy and beef protein have similar PDCAAS scores, but beef has been shown to be more effective than soy protein at increasing protein synthesis levels.

...Animal-based proteins consistently have higher EAA contents and higher leucine contents.

Animal proteins typically present with rates over 90% while plant proteins usually range between 45-80%.

Overall, fewer amino acids from plant proteins are used for muscle protein synthesis.

Applicable Comparisons in Plant Protein vs Animal Protein

...Soy protein does not increase protein synthesis to the same degree as whey protein [24], skim milk [33], or beef.

Milk proteins have been shown to be more effective for lean mass gains compared to soy proteins when both are taken in the same amount and same time frame.

...Plant protein can be beneficial for growth, there’s just one caveat: you have to eat more!

1669732871591.png

Plant Protein vs Animal Protein: Conclusions

...Animal proteins are more effective for promoting protein synthesis than plant proteins. But! All you have to do to even the playing field is eat greater amounts of plant protein.

Added leucine makes wheat protein as anabolic as whey

A protein that athletes rightly turn their nose up at – because it (wheat) doesn't provide the optimal amino acids for muscle building – becomes a lot more interesting if you add leucine to it. Nutritionists at the University of Illinois wrote in Nutrition & Metabolism about the animal study they performed in which wheat protein became as anabolic as whey after leucine was added to it.

Plant-based proteins may offer an alternative. These include proteins derived form wheat, soya, potatoes, algae or rapeseed. These are much cheaper than whey, but their muscle building effect is also less

If you're making progress - I would just assume that you should keep going...

What about you?
I am 5'10" and 245 lbs.

I'm not super strong - I just hope that over the next 3-6-9-12 months that I keep getting stronger than I am today. But the bulk of my recent practice has been 24kg snatches. finished a Q&D 044 series, and currently running 10x10 24kg 3 days a week (to which I attribute my small biceps are growing ) and carrying my 24 kg bell 2 days per week.

I have coffee with heavy cream in the morning. and at lunch, I have my meal.
I call my daily meal 1-layer nachos. ground beef with melted cheese scooped onto pork rinds.
I have Yogurt every other day, so I guess you can divide that by 2. And, sometimes some sriracha over the ground beef.

My almost daily intake
Food​
approx. amounts​
approximate protein​
approximate calories​
Ground Beef​
1.25 lbs.​
100 g​
1200 kcal​
Grated cheese​
0.33 cups​
10 g​
100 kcal​
Pork Rinds​
1 Bag​
50 g​
500 kcal​
Yogurt​
1 Tub​
75 g​
1000 kcal​

Last edited:
A protein that athletes rightly turn their nose up at – because it (wheat) doesn't provide the optimal amino acids for muscle building – becomes a lot more interesting if you add leucine to it. Nutritionists at the University of Illinois wrote in Nutrition & Metabolism about the animal study they performed in which wheat protein became as anabolic as whey after leucine was added to it.

Plant-based proteins may offer an alternative. These include proteins derived form wheat, soya, potatoes, algae or rapeseed. These are much cheaper than whey, but their muscle building effect is also less
Yup, that is why this new corn protein isolate is so interesting. It has something like a 20% higher leucine content than whey. Mixed with other plant proteins, they can approximate milk protein EAA content (the study I linked above). And the isolate process removes the bindings that prevent you from digesting it properly.

Hopefully they will start producing these effective mixes at a lower price then whey, since whey has gotten kind of pricey lately. I know Dymatize has one that is pretty similar to whey and roughly the same price. Once competition ramps up and the stigma against plant proteins goes away, the price should come down to consistently lower then whey.

After my cut to <102 kg weight class (I weighed 100 kg / 220 lbs this morning), I'm maintaining at about 3200 calories per day.

Protein intake is 120 - 160 grams per day.

Most of that is from solid food.

About 16 grams from milk. 25 grams from protein powder, 8 grams from collagen, so almost 50 calories from liquid sources.

Made ful medames for dinner, so 3 cups of fava beans (39 grams of protein) for a change of protein source pace from the usual animal sources.

I'm beginning my competition prep cycle with a mild -500 cal / day cut.

Rationale: I'm right at the border of making weight at 102 kg and I want margin of error, plus a bit of a buffer to creatine load.

So I want to drop down about another 2-3 kg.

Tonight's dinner while on a diet:

3 egg omelet with parmesan cheese
Chicken breast
Whole avocado
Quinoa
Mushrooms, spinach, onions, carrots

IMG_0474.jpg

I am 5'10" and 245 lbs.

I'm not super strong - I just hope that over the next 3-6-9-12 months that I keep getting stronger than I am today. But the bulk of my recent practice has been 24kg snatches. finished a Q&D 044 series, and currently running 10x10 24kg 3 days a week (to which I attribute my small biceps are growing ) and carrying my 24 kg bell 2 days per week.

I call my daily meal 1-layer nachos. ground beef with melted cheese scooped onto pork rinds.
I have Yogurt every other day, so I guess you can divide that by 2. And, sometimes some sriracha over the ground beef.

My almost daily intake
Food​
approx. amounts​
approximate protein​
approximate calories​
Ground Beef​
1.25 lbs.​
100 g​
1200 kcal​
Grated cheese​
0.33 cups​
10 g​
100 kcal​
Pork Rinds​
1 Bag​
50 g​
500 kcal​
Yogurt​
1 Tub​
75 g​
1000 kcal​
Pork rinds are your chips, what type ? What type of cheese ? Ground organ beef ?

Last edited:
Pork rinds are your chips, what type ? What type of cheese ? Ground organ beef ?
As to pork rinds , I don't have favorites really. I just get whatever's available.

As to cheese I usually get this blend. But, again any shredded cheese will work. I just add some to the beef, and mix it in. One bag lasts a good while.

I have had ground organ meat blends twice in one year after many years without , and I didn't notice any appreciable effect.

Here's today's meal.
Comes out to around 8 bucks a day.

Screenshot_20230104-080433__01.jpg

As to pork rinds , I don't have favorites really. I just get whatever's available.

As to cheese I usually get this blend. But, again any shredded cheese will work. I just add some to the beef, and mix it in. One bag lasts a good while.

I have had ground organ meat blends twice in one year after many years without , and I didn't notice any appreciable effect.

Here's today's meal.
Comes out to around 8 bucks a day.

View attachment 20197
You think you would notice a difference with 2 servings a year ?

I am 5'10" and 245 lbs.

My almost daily intake
Food​
approx. amounts​
approximate protein​
approximate calories​
Ground Beef​
1.25 lbs.​
100 g​
1200 kcal​
Grated cheese​
0.33 cups​
10 g​
100 kcal​
Pork Rinds​
1 Bag​
50 g​
500 kcal​
Yogurt​
1 Tub​
75 g​
1000 kcal​

I am understanding your maintenance calories are 2900 / day?

I'm a little surprised, because that's a mild (-500 cal) deficit for me and I don't think I'm bigger.

You think you would notice a difference with 2 servings a year ?
I appreciate the food for thought.
I guess my answer is: not exactly.

I'm sure I'll try it again.
but insofar as I don't feel any deficits in my well-being, I don't feel the desire to tinker or pre-solve problems that don't yet exist.

if it were a game-changer for me - I suppose I'd say so.
but I didn't notice any change or gain or loss or anything.
so, maybe it's not a missing piece of a puzzle i'm trying to solve.

I am understanding your maintenance calories are 2900 / day?

I'm a little surprised, because that's a mild (-500 cal) deficit for me and I don't think I'm bigger.
yeah, I bet the protein macro quantity has an effect on muscle maintenance.
Not to mention I may be prone to higher levels of insulin.
and at low background levels of insulin, it's anti-catabolic way before it's anabolic.

I've often opined, Calorimetry is a physics measurement. not an organic system's functions. but, what do I know?

If you lose a significant amount of weight your maintenance calories tends to drop a lot more than you think. There was that study with the biggest loser contestants that showed their maintenance calories were around 800 calories less than average for someone of their size and activity levels. While most of that was their irresponsible methods, it does appear to a lesser degree in populations that don't lose weight killing themselves with VLCD and daily beat downs.
I haven't seen anything "debunking" those studies. But haven't really looked because it is mildly depressing.

If you lose a significant amount of weight your maintenance calories tends to drop a lot more than you think. There was that study with the biggest loser contestants that showed their maintenance calories were around 800 calories less than average for someone of their size and activity levels. While most of that was their irresponsible methods, it does appear to a lesser degree in populations that don't lose weight killing themselves with VLCD and daily beat downs.
I haven't seen anything "debunking" those studies. But haven't really looked because it is mildly depressing.

Sure, extreme dieting leads to radical metabolic adaptation.

And to a less extreme extent, the MATADOR study also observed this.

But I guess I don't get how that applies in this case?

Back
Top Bottom