all posts post new thread

Nutrition What is your nutrition like while strength training? Specifically your calories and protein intake

yeah, I bet the protein macro quantity has an effect on muscle maintenance.
Not to mention I may be prone to higher levels of insulin.
and at low background levels of insulin, it's anti-catabolic way before it's anabolic.

I've often opined, Calorimetry is a physics measurement. not an organic system's functions. but, what do I know?

You seem to be eating more protein than I do, on average.

(not saying this is bad, btw -- if I'm in-season, I have to up my carb intake a lot)

My target is 140-160 grams of protein a day; the 235 grams you have would be an exceptionally high protein day for me in-season.

(I'll do that maybe once or twice a month)

My maintenance calories at 226 lbs of body weight / 5'11" is ~3400-3500 calories / day.

At 2900 (like now), I'm in a mild cut.

FWIW, I was on a mission from June - October 2022 to drive up my maintenance calories.

Last edited:
53 year-old post menopause female. In 2021 I lost 15 pounds eating roughly 170 g Carbohydrate, 50g Fat and 160 g protein. Total calories were approx 1804 per day. This was definitely a deficit as I would cheat a bit on the weekends and had no trouble maintaining the weight loss until this past fall/winter (I quit tracking and ate a lot more junk food than normal over the holidays). When I look back at pictures and my training log I was muscular and lean, and my performance was the best it had been in years. Thankfully because I kept good records I'm able to easily get back on track and do what I know works. I don't obsess over these macros, I just shoot for them primarily eating single ingredient food. I eat three satisfying meals, maybe one snack and drink plenty of water.

Speaking of pork rinds, I'm eating these cook at home kind right now:

120 calories for 2 cups (cooked), 4 grams of fat, 18 grams of protein.

1/2 cup uncooked = 2 cups cooked

The bag lasts me a long time, although I don't eat them that often.

Back
Top Bottom