all posts post new thread

What kettlebell movement do YOU think works the most muscle groups?

Or between King Sized Killer and Kettlebell RMF (or a doubles version of Long Cycle of Death a la @Sam Goldner)
The reason I’d opt for this over QD alternating with KBSF is the eventual progression in the Neupert programs to longer sets. You don’t have to advance there if you don’t want to, but the programming is already laid out for you if you so choose.

The reason I’d opt for this over QD alternating with KBSF is the eventual progression in the Neupert programs to longer sets. You don’t have to advance there if you don’t want to, but the programming is already laid out for you if you so choose.
Yeah, similar to The Giant and STRONG, the layout of those plans seem to be set for the longer term and taking one (pair of) bell(s) really far.

And the eventual percentage based program in KSK or LCOD 3.0 looks great as well where you can use any bell and the program designs itself (rep numbers) around that.

Hang Snatch Squat
With a kettlebell, or 2? That seems for a pretty small cohort (that will never include me). Though for people who CAN do that, excellent!

I would say double snatch, just because it is unarguably ONE movement, and the intensity is not as likely to be limited by the grip as one handed snatching can be (at a certain point, IS for me).

With a kettlebell, or 2? That seems for a pretty small cohort (that will never include me). Though for people who CAN do that, excellent!

I would say double snatch, just because it is unarguably ONE movement, and the intensity is not as likely to be limited by the grip as one handed snatching can be (at a certain point, IS for me).
I don’t think double snatch does enough for the legs.

Oh brother...

The kettlebell is one of those things where, in my opinion, you have to be as inclusive as you can when it comes to figuring which and how many exercise movements must be included in a training session. You can't narrow it down to three movements and say, "these movements will target all major muscle groups."

Personally, back when I was doing nothing but kettlebells, these were my choices...

Goblet squat, swings, bent-over rows, overhead presses, and then push ups.

Those are five, and most gym coaches would still consider it incomplete. Imagine what they would think if it's just three.

The way I see it, barbells for strength, dumbbells for isolating muscles, and kettlebells for endurance. You are better off using all three if you want to be a complete athlete.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the TGU in this thread.

I suppose when we say muscle groups worked, someone is referring to maximally stimulated as opposed to integrated?

If it were the latter, perhaps the TGU or Bent Press might be mentioned.

I’ve never done TGU (erroneous! I know…) but figured they hold quite a bit of water in these parts due to the many angles and joints they cover and for being the sole “grind” of one of the iconic programs of SF’s chairman.

I suppose when we say muscle groups worked, someone is referring to maximally stimulated as opposed to integrated?

If it were the latter, perhaps the TGU or Bent Press might be mentioned.

I’ve never done TGU (erroneous! I know…) but figured they hold quite a bit of water in these parts due to the many angles and joints they cover and for being the sole “grind” of one of the iconic programs of SF’s chairman.
I rarely do them, I actually hate them! But I'm going to start adding them in as a functional movement. Once I strolled on into my 50's I'm more about longevity, I figure being able to get up off the floor after my old a$$ falls down is a good quality to have.

I do believe that you are correct as far as integration. You have to be solid all throughout your body to do both the getting up and then getting back down.

That's because, like most threads of this type, it starts going all over the place as and turning into "which ... kettlebell... are the greatest..." (and fill in the blanks for whatever you have in mind)

This was the original question -- which in itself had several areas to cover:

rereading the original post title and words, we actually have a few things going on:
  • "works the most muscle groups"
  • "covers all areas"
  • "the most bang for your Buck for fat loss, leaning out and great cardio"

As great as the get-up is, it isn't the thing I would go to in order to meet those objectives.

That's because, like most threads of this type, it starts going all over the place as and turning into "which ... kettlebell... are the greatest..." (and fill in the blanks for whatever you have in mind)

This was the original question -- which in itself had several areas to cover:

As great as the get-up is, it isn't the thing I would go to in order to meet those objectives.
100%. I think I'll add to the " all over the place ." KB mile with two bells while doing Athletic Drills and Complexes and periodically hitting the deck for GU's and BUGU's and push ups and looking for a tree branch or pipe for pull ups and do it on hilly terrain. And wear a rucksack .
KB Mile-Drills-Complexes. Three things.

Back
Top Bottom