all posts post new thread

Nutrition What kind of diet you are currently running?

What kind of diet you are currently running?

• Total voters
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I use both "low" carb and intermittent fasting.
Currently at 20% carbs.
Fast 24 hours once every 8 days.

Potentially will transition into zero carb/all meat food intake.
Or, go back to fasting twice in a 7 day period of my incoming keto supplements work as advertised.

Basically, I try to balance my desire for 7 consecutive training days (and the necessary recovery ability) and the desire to lean out.

What is the difference between Atkins and keto then ? Indeed, it seems that Atkins also use the ketonic element to target fat loss. Is there some calories counting for instance ?

I don't really know; I suppose you can say that Atkins is a particular application of a ketogenic diet, but only the first 2 weeks (Induction phase), and only if you end up getting a lot of calories from fat, as opposed to loading up too much on protein. There is no calorie counting.

Following your example :)... here's a helpful article: Ketosis vs. Paleo vs. Atkins: Why Keto Rules

Running off of memory from the T. Ferris podcast with Dominic D'Agostino:
Keto: Over 80% of calories are from fat. Carbs and protein are restricted. Protein can raise insulin levels, amoung other things. Keto diet as a therapy for metabolic disease is designed to suppress glucose/insulin production above all else.
Atkins: Allows more protein than Keto, but still restricts carbs.

Mr. Agostino mentioned a modified Atkins diet which seemed rather useful for strength athletes interested in muscle mass.
Link to modified atkins diet from T. Ferris page:
Modified Atkins Diet

I use both "low" carb and intermittent fasting.
Currently at 20% carbs.
Fast 24 hours once every 8 days.

Potentially will transition into zero carb/all meat food intake.
Or, go back to fasting twice in a 7 day period of my incoming keto supplements work as advertised.

Basically, I try to balance my desire for 7 consecutive training days (and the necessary recovery ability) and the desire to lean out.
Check out Dr Shawn Baker's twitter (@SBakerMD). He's on an all meat diet and is a powerlifter. Lots of good info, I'm going to try it out.

He is exactly who prompted me to think that way!
Wow, it's a small, strong world! I dipped my toe into zero carb in the weeks leading up to TSC. Five days zero carb, two days back to "retro" eating. Now that TSC is over, I'm ready to take the plunge and see what happens on an all meat diet.

@offwidth ......curious to know.....how did the SF database come about? Did people submit some stats or did you gain them from info submitted already on the site.....training logs, profiles or whatever?
I'll gladly submit mine if needed or wanted. Cheers, nice charting btw.

I'm ready to take the plunge and see what happens on an all meat diet.
Judging from the trends in the tweets he replies to, you need to eat more meat than you think. From what I can tell he consumes 3.5-5 pounds of meat a day.

@offwidth ......curious to know.....how did the SF database come about? Did people submit some stats or did you gain them from info submitted already on the site.....training logs, profiles or whatever?
I'll gladly submit mine if needed or wanted. Cheers, nice charting btw.

It's something we posted about in the members section a few weeks back. There is so much cool stuff here that it's hard to keep track of it all.
By all means please contribute to the database, and tell all your SF friends... the more the merrier.
I will be updating and posting new graphs from time to time when we get more data, or when something may be pertinent to a thread topic.

If you encounter any issues please just let @damogari or me know

Strongfirst Database Form

@offwidth - I hadn't seen the survey, just filled it in, thanks.

I'm currently doing a LeanGains style diet and on a cut currently, started at the start of March with a goal of 0.3kg loss a week and on target.

For all on a LC/Atkins/Keto plan I made a pretty decent dessert today. Sugar free chocolate pudding mix, 2 scoops of chocolate whey, 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 and 2 cups almond milk. Mixed it with a whisk for 2 minutes and then split it into 6, 3/4 servings. Topped with pecans. It was really good, sort of like a mousse.

I am all set to start low carb high fat/intermittent fasting. I did it for a bit as more anabolic diet/intermittent fating ten years ago and dropped fat and looked good. I also pounded the protein as I worked a very labour intense job. I have become way too much of a carb junkie lately. Any tips to help beat the sugar cravings? I used to be able to do most things cold turkey, but not so much anymore. I will also be cutting out milk as there is too carbs. I will be using half/half for my egg shake before bed.

I am all set to start low carb high fat/intermittent fasting. I did it for a bit as more anabolic diet/intermittent fating ten years ago and dropped fat and looked good. I also pounded the protein as I worked a very labour intense job. I have become way too much of a carb junkie lately. Any tips to help beat the sugar cravings? I used to be able to do most things cold turkey, but not so much anymore. I will also be cutting out milk as there is too carbs. I will be using half/half for my egg shake before bed.

It's tough, try to cut out all carbs except vegetables for 2-3 weeks. No dairy or fruit. I went through a couple days of withdrawal where I had a headache, after that I felt great. Went for 3 weeks and then started slowly reintroducing other carbs back like fruit and a few starches. Like they say, it's simple but not easy.

Do people put on more muscle with lchf? I was thinking with the standard diet people think they are getting enough protein. With lchf with the nature of eating more meat and things people ARE gettìng more protein, but just don't realize it.

Hello,

Eating more protein can get you out of keto (if memory serves). I agree with @HUNTER1313 that if we eat more meat, we are likely to get more protein. However, depending on the meat type you eat, you also consume more fat. Then, LCHF can be excellent if you have a physical activty. Ohterwise, this additional fat can simply make you heavier...but unfortunately not healthier

Kind regards,

Pet'

Eating more protein can get you out of keto (if memory serves).

I have to agree that if someone want to do keto he must check protein amounts. Too much of it can kick one out of keto.

On my first attempt on keto I was eating a hig volume of proteins (a lot of meat, eggs and protein shake on top of it). I didnt felt to be in keto at all. I am on my second attempt on ketogenic diet, this time without additional protein shakes and more fat. Theres definitely a difference and I feel that my carb cravings (and food in general) are a lot smaller and energy levels better. So you have to look out for proteins because of, as @HUNTER1313 noted, on keto diet there is already a high amount of proteins in real food.

Nutritarian
How do you do that. A quick look at the nutritarian pyramid tells me to get 30-60% of cals from vegetables.
I have problems eating 3000cals per day with calorie dense food like meat and fish, but under no circumstances would I be able to eat 900-1800cals from just vegetables.
900-1800cals equal 2.6Kg-5.2Kg of broccoli :eek:

How do you do that. A quick look at the nutritarian pyramid tells me to get 30-60% of cals from vegetables.
I have problems eating 3000cals per day with calorie dense food like meat and fish, but under no circumstances would I be able to eat 900-1800cals from just vegetables.
900-1800cals equal 2.6Kg-5.2Kg of broccoli :eek:

It is a goal more than a destination. Sometimes I get close, sometimes I am far from it. The big picture is to seek nutrient density. Lots of leafy green vegetables (every day), plus a wide variety of unprocessed plants, quality beef, liver, fish, eggs, some dairy, giant salads. No sugar or junk food. I'll eat something off my list occasionally (i.e., pizza or a sandwich) but 95% of the time I am on target.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom