all posts post new thread

Off-Topic What mattress do you sleep on?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I'm in the process of buying a new mattress. I've tried a few for their trial period but haven't found one that I sleep well on yet.

Tempurpedic. Traditional mattresses would last us 4-5 years. This one is at 5 and still going strong. Salesman said 10 years, good thing as it was twice the price of a traditional mattress.

Due to a combo of a tossing and turning husband who also works shifts, and trying umpteen neck pillows/mattresses over the years, and still waking up stiff and sore (mostly upper back and shoulders) I switched to a hammock and hammock stand combo 3 months ago. Bed is still there though, for "extracurriculars" ;) lol! (Apparently extracurriculars are possible so they say).

Interest in that was triggered by recalling how comfy the outside hammock is for me, antecdotal evidence I have seen on the web of back pain relief, and knowing people camp outdoors in these things. And I figure people in tropical countries who have slept in these things instead of beds for millenia can't be wrong.

Our current bed is a pillow top tempurpedic and anytime I have gone back to it long enough to sleep for an entire 8 hr night i can feel a HUGE difference! Mattress feels like a rock slab now, even though I do prefer firmer over soft mattresses. If you get in a hammock just right, you feel like you are floating and have no pressure points. Key is to sleep at a 30 to 45 degree angle and for a single person get what is termed a DOUBLE wide hammock (mine opens to 5 ft, I am 5'7 ft) so you can turn (this man demonstrates how I basically crawl in, switch to sidelying, although his hammock is wider than mine. For rolling to other side I just push a foot in and flip, not change head direction).

My setup is below...Brazilian hammock and stand combo from Hammock Universe (Canadian company), and was under 250.00 total. Stand is 9 ft long and lower floor bars about 4 ft wide. People do bolt hammocks in ceiling joists or wall studs with special kits, but did not want to do that though or tinker with the hang angle....my trees outside were bad enough to figure out, plus we have indoor room for this.

I can sleep on my side and the fabric supports my back with no pillow needed back there. Fabric is traditional loom woven and strong, and is not nylon-ish like a lot of camping ones are. Have a small rectangular Ikea couch accessory cushion for under/between knees, and under small of the neck, plus a wool blanket. One word of warning, you will have no insulation of the mattress under you so may need to buy an "underquilt" like campers do (expensive), but for my purposes only being indoors I just wear warmer pjs/long johns, and wool socks but normally need to sleep fairly warm even in a bed.

I will say that I am a convert to this now, but it is not for everyone though and if you want to try it, keep your bed for a backup!

Attachments

• 20191224_111536.jpg
    20191224_111536.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
One I got from some mattress store, many years ago (probably over a decade?). I bought it thinking it would help me sleep better; I have since come to think that many other variables (sleep apnea, light exposure) are a lot more important.

I'm in the process of buying a new mattress. I've tried a few for their trial period but haven't found one that I sleep well on yet.

Believe it or not my wife and I slept on the floor for years. Basically just a throw rug on the hard wood floor. No pad. It's more comfortable than you think when you get used to it. Now I can sleep comfortably on any mattress, on the ground, or wherever. Seems odd but humans slept that way for a couple of hundred thousand years.

I have one of the “name brand” (whose name I can’t remember) memory foam that I paid a lot for 6 years ago. Shows no sign of wear.

I’ve bought cheaper mail-order memory foam mattresses for the kids. They are delivered vacuum packed in a relatively small box. They seem be just as good as the one I bought from a bricks-and-mortar store.

Go a little firmer than you think you need. You can add a memory foam topper if it ends up being too firm.

I slept on a similar hammock setup for a month while vacationing in Mexico years ago. Super comfy. It was summer and we tied the hammocks to palm trees on the beach. The material is great because it lets air flow so you don't sweat. Most of the hotels in the area had hammock hooks above the beds so that you could use a hammock instead of the bed. Popular in tropical areas.

I bought a Sleep Number because it's what my wife was used to. But I prefer the floor (I still sleep in the sleep number though)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom