all posts post new thread

What next? Double Kettlebells or Barbells?

njrick1

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello all!

I have been working with an outstanding SFG trainer and have re-learned my single kettlebell basics with improved form and mobility! I can swing, press and get up with the 40kg! I am now looking for a new challenge and am considering barbell work or double kettlebell work. I would love some feedback on which of the two options to choose.

My goals are

1. To move well (more specifically, be able to play recreational sports with as little injury as possible for the rest of my life)
2. To feel good and have fun

Barbell pros
+I can lift more weight
+greater strength gains
+ can be done in any gym

Double bell pros
+I suspect this will be better for mobility and power training
+ I can train in my basement

Thank you!

I would stick with Kettlebells. Barbell work will get you bulky, which does not appear to match your goal. But if by Barbell work you mean Olympic Barbell training, that would match your goal. But you can't really do that in a big box gym.

How important is training in your basement? Do you already have a gym membership or will that be an additional expense?

The convenience of training at home is fairly important.

I work in a high school which gives me access to a decent gym with barbells and squat racks. They have kettlebells from 20-70 pounds in 5-pound increments so I could still use double bells with a 5-pound offset.

But with my busy schedule, I'll probably have more oppurutnies to train if I also have the equipment at home. For about $200 (way less than a barbell set) I could get an extra 24kg and 32kg which will likely keep me busy for a while.

I find training at home easier time management wise but also I don't have to worry about my ego.
I suppose I was thinking that my ego in a public setting might lead to a higher risk of injury.

I agree for both, but if you have the space, you can certainly have a barbell at home.

And to Mark's point, you can just start off with DL -- no rack needed.

The convenience of training at home is fairly important.

I work in a high school which gives me access to a decent gym with barbells and squat racks. They have kettlebells from 20-70 pounds in 5-pound increments so I could still use double bells with a 5-pound offset.

But with my busy schedule, I'll probably have more oppurutnies to train if I also have the equipment at home. For about $200 (way less than a barbell set) I could get an extra 24kg and 32kg which will likely keep me busy for a while.
Which is what I do .

Easy strength-is barbell work at the gym

Kettlebell work at home

I agree for both, but if you have the space, you can certainly have a barbell at home.

And to Mark's point, you can just start off with DL -- no rack needed.
Absolutely agree.
I bought a barbell last summer and the only downside is I've increased my options programme selection wise.
I ran PTTP before Christmas and it was perfect to be able to simply walk into the garage and 15 minutes later be done.
I currently have no rack and simply have to clean the bar for squats and presses.

I would stick with Kettlebells. Barbell work will get you bulky,
Barbell = Bulky?

This is completely wrong.

How did you come up with this?

if by Barbell work you mean Olympic Barbell training, that would match your goal.
Olympic Movements

Yes, Olyjmpic Movement produce and develop some of the highest Power Outputs, if not the highest.

Other Movements

1) Trap Bar Jumps

These also can be performed while holding Dumbbells.

2) Kettlebell Swing

a) When performed with loads of 30% up to near body weight.

b) When the Kettlebell Swings are kept to 5 Repetition or less.

you can't really do that in a big box gym.
That Depends

It depends on if the gym has a platform; some do.

Secondly, Olympic Movement can be perform if the gym has a Power Rack, such as...

Olympic Pulls

1) Olympic Clean or Snatch Low Pulls or High Pulls

2) Olmpic Power Cleans. Power Snatches doesn't work weii in most Power Racks.

Catching The Weight

Getting the weight down, amount to guiding it down, then catching it on the thighs.

Push Press

This is a Power Movement.

It may not be able to perform it in a Power Rack. But it can be perform from the outside of the Power Rack or Squat Racjks.

I suspect this will be better for mobility and power training
Power Training

Overall, Power Training will be more effective with Olympic Movement.

Since the stability is greater with an Olympic Barbell Movement, greater Force will be produced and trained.

Kettlebell Swings

When performed with the right loading and in the right repetition range, this produce Power Outputs that rivals Olympic Movements.

I was thinking that my ego in a public setting might lead to a higher risk of injury.
Ego Overload

This is a common issue primarily with men.

It leads to injuries and OverTraining; overall bad decisions.

The key is to use that big muscle that sits on your neck; your brain. :)

The key is to control your emotions rather than letting them control you.

Back
Top Bottom