all posts post new thread

What next? Double Kettlebells or Barbells?

I’m the bulkiest I’ve ever been on double kettlebells, far more than when I did CrossFit or Starting Strength/GOMAD.

I bet if you did double kettlebells and GOMAD you would be a pretty thicc tree stump.
I bet if you did GOMAD you would be big, regardless of the protocol. I bet my psychology is like many here. When I diet down I want to be huge. When I am huge I want to lean out. Grasss is always greener. I am pretty constant these days, I allow myself a 36" waist and that is all I really track (apart from the actual training) no scales. I think the reality is that you can be small and shredded, big and fluffy, but only the roiders are going to be big and shredded.

I think for you at this point in time, the learning curve is going to be a lot to switch to a barbell right now …not that it can’t be done or that it’s not awesome and beneficial but there is technique that needs to be learned to complete the Olympic lifts safely. Unless you wanna go to CrossFit style just go grab a barbell and snatch it as many times as you can as heavy as you can in a little amount of time as possible with very little snatching experience lol

I think you will find Double Kettlebell work to be awesome. It was a game changer for me I don’t really have any major strength goals I’m not lifting for anything other than life and health and mental clarity so it works just fine for me.

Agreed, the biggest draws for double kbs over barbells at the moment are less of a learning curve as well as convenience.

However, my plan wasn't to start Olympic Lifts any time soon, but instead to work on variations of squats, deadlifts, and bench presses.
Even still, I would imagine that the learning curve is a bit steeper and the margin for error is smaller when dealing with the barbell.

Last edited:
Even still, I would imagine that the learning curve is a bit steeper and the margin for error is smaller when dealing with the barbell.
You would be surprised. Double kettlebells have a lot of technique involved. IMO it is way harder to feel comfy with a heavy double kettlebell squat vs a barbell squat.

You would be surprised. Double kettlebells have a lot of technique involved. IMO it is way harder to feel comfy with a heavy double kettlebell squat vs a barbell squat.

Well now I'm considering the barbell again lol I guess I need to try both.

I at least have a lot of kettlebell experience and as others have pointed out double kettlebells tend to be a little more forgiving, if only because they tend to weigh less.

Last edited:
I bet if you did GOMAD you would be big, regardless of the protocol. I bet my psychology is like many here. When I diet down I want to be huge. When I am huge I want to lean out. Grasss is always greener. I am pretty constant these days, I allow myself a 36" waist and that is all I really track (apart from the actual training) no scales. I think the reality is that you can be small and shredded, big and fluffy, but only the roiders are going to be big and shredded.
Yes, that’s what I’m saying. Size is more of a function of diet than implement.

I've tried barbell lifting and double KB work.

I don't practice a sport that requires practicing barbell lifts. Actually I don't play any competitive sport.

I donated my admittedly cheap barbell set when it was time to move out of my apartment. I never did get a rack for the barbell, but if I'd gotten serious about it I would have had to get a rack, and those take up space.

Update:

Thank you again for all the valuable advice. I decided that I will order more kettlebells and will start working with my trainer on double kb work.
The major reasons are the price ( I already have 24kg 32kg and 40kg so I will only need to order one of each and will only order one at a time and I currently have zero barbell equipment). In addition, something that just occurred to me is that my training is predominantly done alone whenever I can find 30 minutes and therefore spotters are almost never available.

I'm sure I'll get some barbell experience eventually, but double kbs make the most sense for me right now.

I'm sure I'll get some barbell experience eventually, but double kbs make the most sense for me right now.

Then you can combine the two!

43892797161_9b55dd8d75_b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Update:

Thank you again for all the valuable advice. I decided that I will order more kettlebells and will start working with my trainer on double kb work.
The major reasons are the price ( I already have 24kg 32kg and 40kg so I will only need to order one of each and will only order one at a time and I currently have zero barbell equipment). In addition, something that just occurred to me is that my training is predominantly done alone whenever I can find 30 minutes and therefore spotters are almost never available.

Check out the offer up app. Just scored on a 24kg kb ($60) and did my first double kb giant workout today. Stoked on the switch to double kb!

Update:

From my experience I will say that humping from 2X24kg to 2X32kg would be rough. That might be the only flaw in your plan. I had the 8kg jumps for single Kb work for a long time, but as soon as I mixed in doubles, I invested in doubles at all of the 4kg increments as I go up. It’s a slippery slope, no matter which way you go.

Back
Top Bottom