all posts post new thread

What next? Double Kettlebells or Barbells?

From my experience I will say that humping from 2X24kg to 2X32kg would be rough. That might be the only flaw in your plan. I had the 8kg jumps for single Kb work for a long time, but as soon as I mixed in doubles, I invested in doubles at all of the 4kg increments as I go up. It’s a slippery slope, no matter which way you go.
I have doubles in 8kg increments (24's; 32's; 40's; 48's). What worked for me was working with a single bell for a while, in my case I did mostly ROP-cycles, which got me eventually strong enough to start with the pair of those bells. With the double bells I'd also do ROP ladders or run some S&T/Strong/Giant cycles.
I do have a barbell, which is for me still the best squatting option. I've tried the double kb front squats, but I do find them more challenging to the core and back/shoulders than they are working the legs. Squatting 100kg with a barbell is pretty easy for me while squatting double 48's is hell.

From my experience I will say that humping from 2X24kg to 2X32kg would be rough. That might be the only flaw in your plan. I had the 8kg jumps for single Kb work for a long time, but as soon as I mixed in doubles, I invested in doubles at all of the 4kg increments as I go up. It’s a slippery slope, no matter which way you go.
This is good to know!
I certainly don't want to buy an additional two kettlebells, but the gym where I was has a 60lbs bell. Do you think mixing weight (60lbs and 50lbs, up to 60lbs and 70lbs) is feasible? I would employ strategies such as using a push press/jerk at first, going for much higher reps/volume with the lesser weight. I also can work with the 48kg for singles.

Kettlebell Swings

When performed with the right loading and in the right repetition range, this produce Power Outputs that rivals Olympic Movements.
If we only measure force produced during one movement yea. But to increase power over time you need heavier loads (which slows the movement down a bit which makes total power less) and lighter loads (faster movement, even though the power will be less since its not that much faster).

And most of us projects the power horizontal when swinging (hardstyle), not vertical as in an olympic lift.

to increase power over time you need heavier loads (which slows the movement down a bit which makes total power less)
Contradiction

This statement is contradictory.

It states To increas power...you need heavier loads"...the states that heavier load slows the movement down, making Power Output less.

The key to Power Training is based on the Exercise and Load...

Research On Power Training Percentages

1) Research shows the Power Output is displayed and developed with in certain ranges.

2) Power Training Percentages for Power Training vary dependent on the Movement.

The following information has been posted and reference multiple times on StrongFirst.

Traditional Strength Training Exercises

Traditional Strength Training Exercise produce the most effective Power Ouputs with load of between 46-62%.

Olympic Lift Movements

Olympic Lift Movements optimal Power Outputs are between 70-80% of 1 Repetition Max.

Kettlebell Swings

Kettlebell Swing Power Output is achieved with Kettlebell Swing Load of 30% to close to Body Weight Load.

lighter loads (faster movement, even though the power will be less since its not that much faster).

Speed Training Percentages
Training with lighter loads develops Speed more so than Power.

And most of us projects the power horizontal when swinging (hardstyle), not vertical as in an olympic lift.
Horizontal Or Vertical

Let's break this down...

Horizontal Kettlebell Swings

Research by Dr Bret Contreras demonstrated the Power Output development rivals Olympic Lift Movement with Heavy Kettlebell Swings.

Kettlebell Swings develop Horizontal Power Output.

Sports that require Horizontal Power should employ Kettlebell Swings or Horizantal Weighted Jumps holding Dumbbells.

Vertical Olympic Lift Movement

They develop Vertical Power Output.

Sports that require Vertical Power Development should emply Olympic Movement or Trap Bar Jumps. Trap Bar Jumps simulate Olympic Pulls.

1) Research shows the Power Output is displayed and developed with in certain ranges.
Please include the research if you are going to say "research shows".
Bret Contreras reference, I am a bit sceptic when someone answers critisism (valid or not) to your articles (article as in a scientific writing) with "do you even lift bro";

84862646_3485964354778873_6250983311989014528_n.png
But sure, bret Contreras has a blog post about the 30% as well. Link to blog

Contradiction

This statement is contradictory.
No i think you missunderstand my point.
Olympic lifts, a classic power movement.
We meassure your max speed at a given weight and find out that individually you reach max power at 70% (of 1RM).
If you want to be able to lift more in *insert timeframe* you need to vary speed/load.
If you train with 90% (of 1RM) your power will likely be less than 70% (of 1RM).
But after *insert timeframe* your 1RM will be higher. Your 70% of that will be higher, and as a result your power will be higher.

Please include the research if you are going to say "research shows".
The Research

As I stated in my previous post...

The following information has been posted and reference multiple times on StrongFirst.

Some of the data is in...

Post 7

Post 5

Post 63

Post 6 Trap Bar Jumps

"do you even lift bro";

What I forgot to add is that I am a New Mexco State Powerlifting Record Holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I forgot to add is that I am a New Mexco State Powerlifting Record Holder.
Did you read the rest of the post and look at the picture included in the message? If so I can't even begin to understand how you think that was directed to you.
Explainer: That is a screenshot of a post Bret Contreras posted when someone criticized his scientific paper. He basically responds to the critisism with "do you even lift bro".

This is good to know!
I certainly don't want to buy an additional two kettlebells, but the gym where I was has a 60lbs bell. Do you think mixing weight (60lbs and 50lbs, up to 60lbs and 70lbs) is feasible? I would employ strategies such as using a push press/jerk at first, going for much higher reps/volume with the lesser weight. I also can work with the 48kg for singles.
Yes, you can certainly mix non-matching kettlebells

I have doubles in 8kg increments (24's; 32's; 40's; 48's). What worked for me was working with a single bell for a while, in my case I did mostly ROP-cycles, which got me eventually strong enough to start with the pair of those bells. With the double bells I'd also do ROP ladders or run some S&T/Strong/Giant cycles.
I do have a barbell, which is for me still the best squatting option. I've tried the double kb front squats, but I do find them more challenging to the core and back/shoulders than they are working the legs. Squatting 100kg with a barbell is pretty easy for me while squatting double 48's is hell.
So if we are looking to grow legs, would barbell squats even @ 135 (feels easy) provide more tension than double 24kg kbs (feels hard)? Thus barbell squat for legs because more tension can be applied while feeling easier? Hard for me to mentally accept an exercise that feels easier being more productive.

Last edited:
So if we are looking to grow legs, would barbell squats even @ 135 (feels easy) provide more tension than double 24kg kbs (feels hard)? Thus barbell squat for legs because more tension can be applied while feeling easier? Hard for me to mentally accept an exercise that feels easier being more productive.
I think because you can squat heavier with a barbell than you could squat with double bells, the barbell squat would be definitely better for bigger/stronger legs.
If if do bb squats, I can do sets with 120 or even 140 for some reps. No way I could to that with 60kg kb's. I wouldn't even be able to clean them.

Congratulations on your progress with your SFG trainer! It's great to hear that you've improved your form and mobility with the single kettlebell, and that you're now looking for a new challenge to continue your fitness journey.
When it comes to choosing between barbell work or double kettlebell work, it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. However, I can provide you with some insights into the pros and cons of each option, which may help you make an informed decision.
Barbell work:
Pros:
  • You can lift more weight: Barbell exercises, such as deadlifts and squats, are some of the most effective exercises for building strength and power. With a barbell, you can easily load up more weight than you can with kettlebells, which can lead to greater strength gains.
  • Greater strength gains: As mentioned, barbell exercises are some of the most effective for building strength and power. If your goal is to build strength and power, barbell work may be a better choice.
  • Can be done in any gym: Barbell exercises are a staple in most gyms, so you can perform them anywhere.
Cons:
  • Limited mobility: Barbell exercises are typically done in a fixed plane of motion, which can be limiting for those who want to improve their mobility and flexibility.
  • Higher risk of injury: Barbell exercises require good form and technique to perform safely. If you're not careful, you may be at a higher risk of injury.
Double kettlebell work:
Pros:
  • Better for mobility and power training: Double kettlebell exercises, such as double kettlebell swings and double kettlebell clean and press, require greater mobility and power than barbell exercises. If your goal is to improve your mobility and power, double kettlebell work may be a better choice.
  • Can train in your basement: Double kettlebell exercises can be done in a smaller space, which makes them a great option if you prefer to train at home.
Cons:
  • Limited weight: With double kettlebells, you may not be able to lift as much weight as you can with a barbell. This can limit your ability to build strength and power.
  • Limited availability: Double kettlebells may not be available in all gyms, so you may need to purchase your own set.
In conclusion, both barbell work and double kettlebell work have their pros and cons. If you want to build strength and power, barbell work may be a better choice. If you want to improve your mobility and power, double kettlebell work may be a better choice. Ultimately, the choice comes down to your personal preferences and goals. You could also consider incorporating both options into your training routine to get the best of both worlds.

Congratulations on your progress with your SFG trainer! It's great to hear that you've improved your form and mobility with the single kettlebell, and that you're now looking for a new challenge to continue your fitness journey.
When it comes to choosing between barbell work or double kettlebell work, it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. However, I can provide you with some insights into the pros and cons of each option, which may help you make an informed decision.
Barbell work:
Pros:
  • You can lift more weight: Barbell exercises, such as deadlifts and squats, are some of the most effective exercises for building strength and power. With a barbell, you can easily load up more weight than you can with kettlebells, which can lead to greater strength gains.
  • Greater strength gains: As mentioned, barbell exercises are some of the most effective for building strength and power. If your goal is to build strength and power, barbell work may be a better choice.
  • Can be done in any gym: Barbell exercises are a staple in most gyms, so you can perform them anywhere.
Cons:
  • Limited mobility: Barbell exercises are typically done in a fixed plane of motion, which can be limiting for those who want to improve their mobility and flexibility.
  • Higher risk of injury: Barbell exercises require good form and technique to perform safely. If you're not careful, you may be at a higher risk of injury.
Double kettlebell work:
Pros:
  • Better for mobility and power training: Double kettlebell exercises, such as double kettlebell swings and double kettlebell clean and press, require greater mobility and power than barbell exercises. If your goal is to improve your mobility and power, double kettlebell work may be a better choice.
  • Can train in your basement: Double kettlebell exercises can be done in a smaller space, which makes them a great option if you prefer to train at home.
Cons:
  • Limited weight: With double kettlebells, you may not be able to lift as much weight as you can with a barbell. This can limit your ability to build strength and power.
  • Limited availability: Double kettlebells may not be available in all gyms, so you may need to purchase your own set.
In conclusion, both barbell work and double kettlebell work have their pros and cons. If you want to build strength and power, barbell work may be a better choice. If you want to improve your mobility and power, double kettlebell work may be a better choice. Ultimately, the choice comes down to your personal preferences and goals. You could also consider incorporating both options into your training routine to get the best of both worlds.
Is this written by ChatGPT?

Does a DKB C&P have greater mobility requirements than a BB C&P? I feel the barbell C&P has way more mobility requirements. Ankle mobility for the clean, wrist mobility for the rack and shoulder mobility for the press.

So for swings I use some cast iron Olympic plates but the 15kgs 10kgs and smaller and I have a battlerope jump rope, so it's way smaller in length, I run this through the plates and swing it hence I can swing any amount of weight,

Back
Top Bottom