all posts post new thread

Barbell What next - for a bit of mass

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Madshalskov

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all

I got some great advice in my first post so I thought I would try my luck again. I am two weeks short of completing the DDD and halfway through the ROP with a 24. I have dropped 16 kg since christmas and I am down to 93-94 kg at 185 cm. A minimalist program of daily deadlifts and 3 x a week kb presses and swings have been great while dropping weight. Now I have fallen in love with the simplicity of the typical strongfirst approach. In the last month I have read just about every article on this site and a lot of the threads on the forum. I have finally learned what it means to be student of training - I have only been a member for a month or so.

So in the spirit of trying to pick the minds of some of you who are much more experienced and clever with regards to training than myself, I could use some advice on where to go next.

I would like to add a bit of mass over the course of 4-6 weeks. I have followed Dan Johns advice on leaning out before putting on mass. I have read BB again and there is plenty to choose from. So trying to be as precise as possible with my question:

I was thinking of either Marty Gallaghers approach to Pavels adjusted Smolov cycle with only squats and bench presses. Or perhaps the Bear if I can program it properly. Maybe the russian squat cycle. Or even a 5x5 with squat/bench and deadlift/press done in A-B-A-B-A-B style, but maybe four lifts are too much?

I am hoping some of you might have experience with the different options available. I know I am probably overthinking this quite a bit, but any advice would be much appreciated.

By the way, I am 37 years old, and I have two small kids, so I can´t sleep quite as much as those cuban weightlifters, and if it matters at all I am slow twitch I guess - I can squat 10x150 kg but my 1rm is only 185.

Thank you in advance!

Mads

@Madshalskov, welcome to the StrongFirst forum!

If I may, finish your current programs before focusing on something else. If my personal example is worth anything, I will finish my current program on Sunday and I have no idea what I’ll do next. I will take a week of off/easy/variety and during that time, I’ll decide where to head next.

-S-

Hello all

I got some great advice in my first post so I thought I would try my luck again. I am two weeks short of completing the DDD and halfway through the ROP with a 24. I have dropped 16 kg since christmas and I am down to 93-94 kg at 185 cm. A minimalist program of daily deadlifts and 3 x a week kb presses and swings have been great while dropping weight. Now I have fallen in love with the simplicity of the typical strongfirst approach. In the last month I have read just about every article on this site and a lot of the threads on the forum. I have finally learned what it means to be student of training - I have only been a member for a month or so.

So in the spirit of trying to pick the minds of some of you who are much more experienced and clever with regards to training than myself, I could use some advice on where to go next.

I would like to add a bit of mass over the course of 4-6 weeks. I have followed Dan Johns advice on leaning out before putting on mass. I have read BB again and there is plenty to choose from. So trying to be as precise as possible with my question:

I was thinking of either Marty Gallaghers approach to Pavels adjusted Smolov cycle with only squats and bench presses. Or perhaps the Bear if I can program it properly. Maybe the russian squat cycle. Or even a 5x5 with squat/bench and deadlift/press done in A-B-A-B-A-B style, but maybe four lifts are too much?

I am hoping some of you might have experience with the different options available. I know I am probably overthinking this quite a bit, but any advice would be much appreciated.

By the way, I am 37 years old, and I have two small kids, so I can´t sleep quite as much as those cuban weightlifters, and if it matters at all I am slow twitch I guess - I can squat 10x150 kg but my 1rm is only 185.

Thank you in advance!

Mads
Welcome!

I have done DDDL and am just starting ROP. Previously I worked up to the Simple standard for swings and getups from Simple & Sinister.

As it’s my first time through ROP, I’m focusing on it and would recommend you do the same. I have heard it does add some mass to your upper body if you eat enough and get enough sleep. If you are able do another cycle of DDDL alongside it, that would help too. I train ROP in the morning, so DDDL for a few minutes in early evening is not taxing (so far - I will pause it if the pressing reps wipe me out too much later).

As they say - “Keep the main thing the main thing”.

Here as an opinion, based on experience. I think that it is important to take time to "stabilize" before changing weight or size again. I feel that losing weight and then immediately adding on bulk is just a recipe for disappointment. The same for gaining mass and then immediately trying to get cut (my number one mistake in my 20's). It takes time for your body to adjust to your new size. Give it a few months at your new weight or your body will just try to slingshot back to your old weight with a similar body composition.

Example: Work six weeks on a mass gain program like The Bear or Mass Made Simple. If you do this right you will gain mass and some of it will be fat. Many people want to lose those extra inches as soon as possible. However, it would be better to try to maintain your new mass until your body accepts this new size as the norm. After a few months switch programs and diet strategies and hopefully your hard earned gains wont fly right out the window.

Any thoughts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom